2:37PM

Day Shift, Night Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I'm back! Merry Christmas if you celebrate that. I took some time to myself after Jonghyun's passing and I ended up planning out this whole story, it was a good little escape from social media. So I plan to keep this going! I have story arcs and everything, which I've not really done before so it might go pear-shaped but who cares! I hope you enjoy this, if there are any spelling errors, blame Grammarly for not picking it up lmao. Please comment and if you're feeling extra lovely, press that upvote button! I want to get as much feedback as possible. Love Ya! 

T/W: Discussion of injuries.

 

It turned out that an ETA of ten minutes estimated by Tao was actually in fact five minutes when Kris was behind the wheel. Sehun and the team wouldn’t normally complain, but not everyone who needed to be present, was present. Junmyeon, probably the one doctor they needed the most was still in the Paediatric ward, despite telling Sehun he was on his way, which was quite typical for Junmyeon because he got distracted easily.

 

Tao came through the ambulance entrance straight into majors, with Kris trailing not far behind carrying paperwork. But instead of looking solemn, he looked cheerful, a smile on his face in fact.

 

The team, or those who had gathered, formed a U shape around the opposite side of the hospital bed, as Tao pulled the ambulance stretcher up to the clear side. “Are you ready for handover?”

 

“We’re short of our paeds doctor but you can go ahead.” Sehun’s senior spoke, the middle-aged lady already had apron and gloves on ready.

 

“Okay, thank you.” Tao glanced down at his patient, an absolutely tiny eight-year-old who was being swallowed by two massive orange blocks placed at either side of her head. You could tell she had been crying, as her eyes were red and watery. “Everyone, this is Sara, she was on the walk to school with her mother when a three-vehicle RTC occurred, the car which was speeding hit the back of the car in front, which then subsequently hit the car in front of them. It is this front car which has gone to hit Sara as she crossed at a pedestrian crossing.”

 

The poor girl whined slightly, Kris stepped forward to try comfort her but it didn’t work too well.

 

“Car has made impact at around fifteen miles per hour, top to toe injuries include query head injury, query spinal injury and lacerations to lower legs. She’s been given two-hundred and fifty milligrams of IV paracetamol, heart rate is ninety and blood pressure is a hundred and fourteen over seventy five, GCS of fifteen for the journey. Sara’s mother is waiting in the relatives room.” Tao finished, nodding at Kris to hand over paperwork to the blonde nurse stood next to him.

 

Just as Tao finished handover, a very flustered looking Junmyeon came into view. Sehun repeated what had been said during handover as the nurses cooed and tried to sooth the child, in a bid to get her to trust them. She cried as they swapped her from the paramedic stretcher to the bed, which was a very delicate process especially when the patient had a suspected spinal injury.

 

Doctors were firing off orders left right and centre, telling nurses to go retrieve various medications or equipment, Kyungsoo was on the phone to radiography to alert them a patient would be coming for a full CT scan. Junmyeon pushed himself through the barrage of specialists to get close to the little girl. The doctor looked the part, dressed in teddy bear print red and blue scrubs with lots of smiley face stickers on his old name tag. “Hello Sara, my name’s Junmyeon and I’m going to be looking after you today. Are you in any pain?” His smooth, soothing voice made the female nurse swoon. The little girl whined again. “If you are, do let us know because we’re all here to make you feel better.” Junmyeon smiled, showing perfect teeth.

 

Tao and Kris were already signing off paperwork and packing up to leave, ready for their next job. Kyungsoo was grateful for the extra space provided by the stretcher being removed. The nurses checked her IV line, and asked about a billion questions about where it hurt, how much it hurt, if she could wiggle her toes and her fingers, if she had a headache, where exactly did it hurt.

 

Kyungsoo watched on as Junmyeon distracted Sara with talk of cartoons, the usual trick to get his patients thinking of something, anything except what was going on around them. It was difficult, especially for children, to comprehend what was going on around them, and to understand the severity of their injuries. The best thing to do was sugar coat it a little bit, until they were out of the emergency department at least.

 

“Sara, would you say it hurts at the top of your back, in the middle or near the bottom?” Junmyeon asked, carefully.

 

“All of my back, sir.” She said, whining slightly.

 

Junmyeon nodded. “Okay, well, we’re going to make that better for you so you won’t feel the pain anymore, then we’re going to use a machine to look at your insides so we can make sure you haven’t been hurt where we can’t see. Is that okay? Is there anything you’d like to ask me?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter