On My Mind

Day Shift, Night Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No Tag Warnings Apply

 

On the way back to Jongin’s apartment (they decided it was best to go there since it was closer to the hospital) it started to thunder. A storm which had been threatening to come all day had finally hit and honestly, it was nice. Though the car journey was silent, Kyungsoo relished in the warmth of the car heater and the sounds of the thunder crackling in the distance. Afterwards, he felt guilty because he realised he’d gotten into Jongin’s car completely soaked through and had probably ed up the seat.

 

After being ushered into the apartment, Jongin rushed forward to turn on all the lights as Kyungsoo looked around awkwardly, toeing off his soggy shoes and pushing his hair back once more. The decor was… not what he’d been expecting.

 

From the texts they’d exchanged and the time they’d spent together so far, Kyungsoo saw Jongin as a really warm person, kind and welcoming. But his apartment was anything but. There was hardly any furniture or personal effects, most of the pieces were cream and leather with a glass table on the far side, fruit bowl empty. It was definitely a surprise, he didn’t know why but he’d kind of built it up in his head that Jongin probably had loads of soft toys and posters… looks like he’d read him all wrong.

 

There was a fireplace, at least. They both kind of needed that right now.

 

Jongin brought in blankets and two mugs, placing them down before throwing one of the blankets around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. He wanted to protest, knowing he would get it wet, but Jongin shushed him, telling him he didn’t mind.

 

They both took a seat on each of the couches in the corner, Jongin lit the fireplace and Kyungsoo instantly felt its benefit. There was an uncomfortable pause as they both sat in silence, Jongin taking a moment to look at how drenched Kyungsoo’s hair was. He smirked, and Kyungsoo could tell he was about to laugh. “Don’t start…”

 

Letting out the laugh, Jongin grinned at him. “Start what?”

 

“I know I look like , okay? I didn’t exactly plan to do this… it was a spur of the moment thing, blame my mom.”

 

“No, you don’t look like . You look really handsome, even though your hair is starting to dry funny.”

 

Kyungsoo hoped the dim lighting would hide his blush.

 

“So…” he started.

 

“So…?”

 

Kyungsoo had never felt so awkward. “What does this mean… for us, I mean. What do we do now?”

 

“Well… what do you want to do now?” Jongin asked, taking a small sip of hot chocolate.

 

Pausing, Kyungsoo thought for a moment. He hasn’t exactly gotten that far, all he knew was how he felt and his problems which would probably impact any kind of relationship. “I don’t know, I didn’t really anticipate this happening, especially not in this way.”

 

Nodding, Jongin set his mug down. “Well, why don’t we just take it slow, do it the right way.” 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Proper dates, actually romantic ones, then we’ll see from there.”

 

Kyungsoo laughed. “You want to court me or something?”

 

Jongin glanced at the floor, looking a bit bashful, then back up to Kyungsoo, smiling gently. “I don’t know if you noticed before, but I actually really, really like you. I have done for quite some time now.”

 

Oh.

 

Oh.

 

“H-how long?” 

 

“I don’t know, months? I, um. I tried to do nice things for you, like little things, hoping you would notice, but I don’t think I was very good at it?”

“Or I was just blind.”

 

“Well, that is a possibility.”

 

Blinking a couple of times, he looked back at the past few months, thinking of all the things Jongin had done for him, Kyungsoo just saw them as favours. He didn’t realise at all that it was Jongin’s own way of trying to woo him. God, he was a ing blind idiot. The times Jongin had made him lunch, brought him coffee, left him nice sticky notes on the nurses' station- what other things had he done that Kyungsoo hadn’t realised?

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Shaking his head, Jongin moved over, deciding that sitting next to Kyungsoo was probably better. “No, please don’t be sorry. Honestly, I should have just said something to you outright. I was just…”

 

“Just what?”

 

“I was… scared of the rejection.”

 

Kyungsoo laughed, making Jongin look up at him in confusion. “I guess that makes two of us, then.”

 

He joined in with the laughter, nudging his own knee against Kyungsoo’s. The awkwardness had passed, and all that was left was comfortable, warm, enjoyable. Both of them stared off into the distance, watching the small light orange flames at the faux coal, warm tones dancing behind the screen. On the other side of the room, large glass windows showed a beautiful city view, and of course all the rain. The place didn’t seem to feel so cold now.

 

“Looking back now I feel like my reaction wasn’t rational, I just got into my head and didn’t think straight. I’m sorry I ignored you like that, believe me when I say that’s not what I’m normally like,” Kyungsoo felt himself leaning on Jongin’s side. 

 

“You don’t have to apologise, going in for the kiss like that just felt like the right thing to do in the moment. I should have asked.” Jongin shook his head. 

 

Kyungsoo laughed. “Well, I mean, I didn’t mind. I felt really flattered.” 

He didn’t reply, but he looked fondly at the fireplace. Kyungsoo found himself almost leaning his head on Jongin’s shoulder. He was just the right height and with the blankets, he had a rather comfy shoulder. 

 

“Kyungsoo?” 

 

“Yes?”

 

“Earlier you said you had trust issues… where do they stem from?” 

 

Swallowing, Kyungsoo suddenly felt like an open book. He wasn’t really thinking when he said what he said, he just panicked and words came out. If he could go back and do it again, he would probably leave that part out…

 

“Uh, past relationships I guess.”

 

“If you don’t want to talk about it then you don’t have to-“

 

“No, no. It’s fine. I’ve just been hurt in the past, things always ended on bad terms. They made comments which, I don’t know, I guess they messed with my confidence in that regard.” 

 

“You mean your confidence with relationships?”

 

He nodded. 

 

Kyungsoo nearly jumped when he felt Jongin’s hand touch his knee. He s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter