Count On Me

Day Shift, Night Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No Tag Warnings

 

Fortunately, this morning, Sehun’s mom’s cat didn’t wake him up by violently smacking him on the head with his little white kitty paws, but he did wake to the sound of his father grumbling as he moved from his bedroom to the bathroom. It was always unfortunate that the walls in this house were so damn thin because Sehun had never really experienced any privacy. Ever.

 

He woke to a couple of texts from Jongdae. Periodically the other would send pictures of clothes and ask for Sehun’s approval. It took one physical shopping trip for Sehun to realise that Jongdae was incredibly picky and not too happy about venturing out his comfort zone, so Sehun had told him to look online instead. It was kind of adorable, Jongdae asked for Sehun’s opinion on literally every single piece of clothing he came across, eventually, it would probably get annoying but he was hoping that Jongdae would be strong enough to do it all on his own by then.

 

His shift started in an hour and a half, giving him just enough time to shower and try to style his hair before he needed to be out of the door. Problem was that there was only one bathroom in the house, and it was currently occupied. Breakfast perhaps?

 

He shared his food with the cat because despite how annoying it was, he was still pretty cute. And he really liked crunchy cereals.

 

After finishing, he stood patiently outside the bathroom with his towel and work clothes. He daren’t say anything to his father, he wanted to avoid any possible fights, it was too early in the morning to argue with him.

 

When his dad finally came out, he took one look at Sehun, before mumbling something under his breath. Sehun hadn’t even done anything, he was just trying to clean himself. Ignoring it, he went about his business, picking a different shower gel to use this time. Mint and tea tree. It was a bit strong but at least it woke him up. He brushed his teeth whilst he was in the shower to save time, a quick glance at the clock before he’d gone into the bathroom told him he was most definitely running late.

 

Hair still dripping, he stepped back into his own room and blasted his hair with a dryer. Styling would have to wait, he didn’t want to get stuck in morning rush hour traffic, if he did he’d never get to the hospital on time. Backpack on, he carefully and quietly rushed down the stairs, reaching the bottom and grabbing his shoes. Just as he was tying up, he heard his father’s voice from upstairs.

 

“When is he going to move out? He’s been living here far too long.”

 

“Leave him be, he’s trying his best to save up but with the junior doctors pay it’s-”

 

“He should be a resident by now, he’s just too lazy to complete his hours.”

 

He sighed. He didn’t want to hear any more. He’d already heard it before, and while he appreciated his mother trying to defend him, she shouldn’t have to. Sehun left quietly, taking care not to slam the door behind him, he clenched his jaw and didn’t look back. At least he had a 12-hour shift to take his mind off the matter.

 

--

 

After a visit from the higher-ups, Jongdae had been tasked with shifting a bunch of files to storage and to attempt to clean up the reception bench. Personally, Jongdae didn’t think it was that messy, but then again the lady who was in charge of all the receptions throughout the different departments was known to be a bit of a clean freak. It didn’t matter, really, because he’d rather organise all the files than listen to Baekhyun talk about Chanyeol for one more second.

 

Speaking of which, he could see from the door that Baekhyun was typing away at one of the computers, booking a lady in to be triaged. Sighing, he tried to wipe the dust from his hands on his work pants before he pushed the recycle pile further away from himself with his foot. Who even needed this many files? Did they have a file for everything? A file for every single person who had ever stepped foot in this hospital? What was the point in having this much paper? Computers exist too, you know.

 

At least he’d cleared through one shelf.

 

Sadly, he had six more to go.

 

“Jesus.”

 

He went to brush his hair out of his eyes, momentarily forgetting it was no longer there. Sehun had essentially forced him to get a haircut at the weekend, even persuading him to get it dyed a lighter shade. He didn’t mind it at all, he knew it looked much better, but damn did his wallet cry after, and he really didn’t like the smell of the ammonia.

 

Stuffing the paper into the recycling box, he found a small amount of pleasure in seeing the carpeted floor once again. He really wanted a sweet coffee, but Sehun had told him that he should avoid the sugar, apparently, it can make people crave cigarettes even more. He’d have to settle for the disgusting, cheap complementary tea that was left. Deciding it was time for a break, he took a seat, exhaling when he felt the comfort of the back support.

 

Baekhyun gave him a small smirk, pretending he was intently typing on his computer. “So, how’s it going doing all the grunt work?”

 

Jongdae scowled at him. “It’s not that bad. Yeah, sure, I have about fifty papercuts and I’ve probably triggered a dust allergy, but it’s kinda nice throwing out all the they’ve been keeping for the last, I don’t know twenty years?”

 

“I know right?” Baekhyun turned and smiled at him. “I feel like they haven’t gone through all those files since this hospital was even opened.”

 

“I saw one dated from the eighties, so that may well be true.” Jongdae closed his eyes, tipping his chair back to get a minutes peace.

 

He could hear the tap tap tap of Baekhyun’s fingers on the keyboard, and the sound of beeping going off in the distance of the major's room, but it was nice and quiet to him. When you’re in an environment for so long you almost tune out all the background noise and elect to hear only the important things. Well, for the next couple of minutes, nothing would be important.

 

Jongdae’s phone buzzed on the table. He was hoping Sehun had got back to him on that pair of pant’s he’d found online. A pair of slacks in the sale section, over 70% cheaper! Shopping on the high street or at the mall was ridiculous because he literally didn’t like anything they’d seen. Thank god Sehun was some kind of fashion wizard, he sent him a bunch of links to clothing websites and told him to have at it. He couldn’t really look at his phone j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter