These Flashing Lights

Day Shift, Night Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Oh my god, the response this story has had has been amazing. All the comments have been so nice, I'm so shocked. I was so scared I'd get shouted at because it's not completely accurate, but I've been trying hard to make it as accurate as possible. And yes, this is totally a filler chapter and a little bit messy but I just want to get all the characters introduced and fleshed out. I'll try to make the chapters longer in the future, but I won't be updating for a bit as I have exams currently. But anyways! Enjoy! And as always, let me know what you think <3

T/W: Mentions of illness and injury, minor character death

 

Yixing had been told by one of his colleagues that the emergency department was nicknamed “the race ward” by the pharmacists. Mainly because you had such little time with your patients, but also because doctors had a tendency to try to get them out of the ER and into a ward as soon as possible, making their job just that extra bit harder. Making it all a race against time.

 

He didn’t mind, though. In fact, he liked the idea of almost working on the front-line, being with patients whose world had turned upside down in a matter of seconds. Though his job wasn’t as high profile as some of the other people working in the ER, he was still just as important. He had to memorise interactions, dosages, allergies and have them at the forefront of his mind every single day. He couldn’t just go back to his office and read up information, it had to be quick and accurate. He liked the idea of a challenge, despite being a ball of anxiety.

 

When the vacancy became available in the emergency room, none of his other colleagues applied, so he was guaranteed the switch. It was a bit intimidating that no one else wanted the role, it kind of made him feel on edge, like all of his coworkers knew something about this role that he didn’t, and that the job was going to ruin his sleep pattern even more. But he trusted himself, he’d gone through many years of school and various placements and jobs. He was just as qualified to be working in the emergency room as the next pharmacist.

 

Although, he didn’t really have a personal space anymore, which he missed.

 

Yixing was a bit of a loner, not really one to sit and have lunch with other people working the shift. Mainly because Korean wasn’t his first language, and his anxiety always told him that he was going to say something wrong or not use honorifics and insult someone. But from the looks of things, everyone in the ER was sociable. They talked a lot when things were quiet, they brought each other coffee and drinks. It was like a little family, and Yixing felt welcome.

 

On his first day, he’d given out countless amounts of antibiotics and painkillers. Most of the patients coming in had superficial wounds, cuts and grazes, sometimes infected. There was one person with suspected meningitis, but it was most likely viral. So his first day was relaxed and chilled. He was kind of anxious for the weekends, he’d heard a lot of drunk patients were brought in and it gets chaotic. But he’ll cross that bridge when he gets to it. 

 

He was just logging in all the medicines which the pharmacy had received, when a paediatric trauma call came in, being announced over the tannoy system. He let out a sigh before placing his pen down gently on the workstation. He walked out around the corner to see the senior nurse, Kyungsoo, writing down some information, as all the trauma staff gathered around the major's station.

 

“Have we got everyone here? Yes? Good.” Kyungsoo glanced up at everyone before pulling the sheet off the trauma call booklet.

 

“So it’s an eleven-year-old boy, he’s fallen off his pushbike and appears to have an open fracture to the lower leg. We’ll need paeds, someone from orthopaedics, and physio. ETA fifteen minutes.” He gave a small smile before, walking off, fast paced to go make calls.

 

The doctor’s chatted amongst themselves, and Yixing stood there awkwardly, playing with the hem of his shirt. He wasn’t really confident enough to strike up a conversation with them yet, so he just politely shuffled to the side, out of the way of everyone.

 

When the paramedic crew arrived with the boy, they proceeded to do the handover. Yixing had to pay close attention to handover to listen to the drugs that had already been given if any had. The paediatric doctor was stood at the front, listening intently. It wasn’t hard to spot him, his scrubs had red, green and yellow cars on. 

 

After the handover, the paramedic crews moved out, leaving the young boy on the bay bed. Doctors and nurses shuffled around, chatting to the boy, although he wasn’t crying, he seemed to be in shock. No one was letting him look at his leg because then he would probably start to panic. Open fractures were particularly grizzly, bones break and splinter, and then pierce through the skin, poking out. Risk of infection was high, surgery was almost certain.

 

Yixing didn’t have much to do until the main commotion passed, nurses left and quickly there was only the paediatric doctor, the orthopaedic surgeon and himself. The paediatric doctor was having a conversation with the boy, explaining to him what they were going to do. Yixing worked out dosage calculations from the boy's stats, half eavesdropping in on the conversation.

 

After retrieving some morphine and paracetamol, he returned. The paediatric doctor smiled as he approached, waiting for Yixing’s assessment. “I think it’s best to start him off with IV paracetamol, then top him up with morphine whenever he has to be moved.” He handed the glass bottles over to the doctor, before picking up the chart at the end of the bed to note down the times of doses.

 

“What’s that?” The boy asked, curiously looking at the bottles as Junmyeon and a female nurse set up the lines.

 

“These are called painkillers, they’re going to make you feel a lot better until you go in for surgery.” The doctor smiled, glancing down as he moved plastic tubing over the metal hooks of the IV pole.

 

The orthopaedic doctor took o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter