6:55AM

Day Shift, Night Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

T/W: Mentions of illness and injury.

 

 

For some reason, despite being in one of the most advanced hospitals in the province, the phones were extremely outdated and clunky. When they ring they make the most annoying high pitched noise, the stuff of Baekhyun’s nightmares, really.

 

“Seoul International Hospital, you’re through to the Emergency Department, how may I help you today?” Baekhyun was a fantastic actor, because even when he was irritated he could always fake a sickly sweet tone.

 

Jongdae couldn’t exactly hear who was on the other end of the line, or at least he couldn’t make out the exact conversation. But when you’d worked as a receptionist for a few months you started to see a pattern in the calls. Twirling his pen between his fingers, he pretended he was reading a file, but really he was just eavesdropping.

 

Baekhyun fidgeted, listening to the woman on the phone ramble about something, quickly his face became sulky. He pouted. “Ma’am, this is the emergency department. For emergencies. A cut on your son’s knee doesn’t constitute as an emergency, I recommend you go to your local doctor's practice.”

 

The voice on the other end got louder, if it wasn’t for the loud hustle and bustle in the background, Jongdae would probably have been able to make out exactly what was being said. With every second that passed, Baekhyun looked more and more like he was ready to murder. Jongdae had seen it so often before, it was almost normal practice.

 

“Is your son dying? Is he about to bleed out to death? No? Then you do not need to come to the emergency room, please see your local doctor.” He tried to keep a professional voice, but it wasn’t going well. The lady tried to argue back, but was silenced with a “Thank you for calling, have a great day!” before slamming the phone down with force.

 

There was a couple of seconds of awkward silence as Baekhyun composed himself, before turning and looking at Jongdae, a bored look on his face.

 

“What?” He snapped, fixing Jongdae with a y glare.

 

“I think I should take calls for the rest of our shift.” He pushes back on his office chair.

 

“I think you should too. Too many stupid people calling that damn phone.” He pushed the phone away like it had offended him personally, wheeling himself away from the front desk with a kick.

 

It was pretty standard practice these days, the people who usually called the front desk were either doctors who thought they were above everyone else, or the general public calling for information. Baekhyun had literally no patience for either of those, so it was either Jongdae took over the phones, or Baekhyun would get a disciplinary and Jongdae would be stuck manning the desk on his own.

 

And that would literally be unbearable.

He shuffled over to the other side of the desk, Baekhyun would have to deal with walk ins if he was going to be bratty. Jongdae couldn’t do it all on his own. He sometimes wondered why Baekhyun even applied for this job in the first place, he hated dealing with people.

 

“Hey guys, how’s your morning so far?” Ah yes, that smooth, suave voice of Doctor Kim.

 

Just like clockwork, Baekhyun shuffled his chair back to the reception, fixed his hair and fluttered his eyelashes. “Good morning Jongin, you’re looking handsome today.” Sickeningly sweet, just like the smile he was currently giving.

 

The emergency room’s on call Neurosurgeon, Jongin was one of the most popular people in the place. Every single morning, or evening if he was on the night shift, he’d come round and greet everyone working that shift. No one knew why, but it always seemed to put Baekhyun in a good mood, so Jongdae didn’t complain. Well, he did a bit.

 

“Good so far, what about yours?” Jongdae responded, as pleasantly as one could while juggling paperwork notes, and emails.

 

It really confused Jongdae, how Jongin could have one of the most difficult and straining jobs in the hospital, yet always look like he’d just had a full night’s sleep, gone for a morning jog, and had a full nutritious breakfast. The best he himself could manage was coffee and a cigarette before coming close to tears as he drives to work, emotional from lack of sleep.

 

Jongin had said something but Jongdae wasn’t paying attention at all, too busy feeling jealous. It must have been something nice because Baekhyun was practically pushing himself closer to Jongin, resting his chin on his palms, looking like a teenage girl staring at an idol. Baekhyun was like a cat in heat whenever he saw him.

 

He was disgustingly beautiful, but also disgustingly predictable. At the start of the shift, he asked the same question.

 

“Is Kyungsoo on shift today?”

 

Baekhyun sighed softly, before breaking the gaze. Looked at the rota for the week. “Hmmmm he is, head trauma nurse for majors today.” He gave Jongin a winning smile, this time with pearly whites.

 

Jongin nodded a little, smiling to himself, before clearing his throat and looking at them both. “Right, good. I had some stuff to give him anyways. I’ll see you guys later.” He gave a little wave before walking down to majors.

 

Baekhyun hummed again, eyes following Jongin as he walked off. “Mmmm he even smells good. I want some of that cologne.”

 

Jongdae cringed. “Down, boy.”

 

--

 

Ambulance cabs were always so cold in the morning, even when it was hot out. Tao felt like an i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter