Chapter 2

Kpop Prep School

You and your dad step out of the car onto the beautiful courtyard in front of the gigantic building. “Wow, that's a big school.” You say in amazement. “Oh that's not the school.” Your dad says, leaving you confused as he walks forward to meet the sharply dressed man holding the door open for incoming students. “Then what is it?” You ask your father. He turns to you and says “The administration office.” “Ok…” You think, “What kind of school is this and how on earth could my parents afford it?” Your father parts with you after you sign in and receive a name tag at the front office. “Bye Meili, I'll miss you. Have fun!” He says as he leaves the building. You wave him goodbye and resist the urge to weep. You had never been away from your family for a long period of time and now you couldn't see them for at least 2 months or so. You try to think of it as a good thing, you can create a fresh start for yourself without the supervision of your parents, but knowing them, you are probably expected to call every week and tell them exactly what happened in class and all your grades and who your new friends were. Friends, that is another part of this school you are apprehensive about, it was so big and you don't know how you will get close enough to people. You head to the west auditorium to listen to the principal make the orientation speech. The auditorium seems twice the size of your hometown’s park. “Greetings, incoming students!” Says a man in a suit standing on the stage once everyone is seated, “I am the school’s principal, Kim Hwa Seok. You may have not been informed yet and in case you have not, this school is not only for Asian youths from around the world to learn and grow as people, it is also a preparatory for Asian idols. An idol is an artist working in the music industry who is looked up to as a role model, especially in the Korean entertainment industry.” You frown, more confused than you have ever been in your life and look around at the other students. Only a fraction of them seem as puzzled as you are. Nevertheless, hundreds of murmurs break out amongst the students. Principal Kim clears his throat and continues, “I know we will all have a great year together. Various professeurs will be waiting outside to hand you your schedule. Then you will be provided a tour from the same professeur you received your schedule from. Let's all make great choices this year.” As you get your schedule and walk around the school with some other kids, you can’t stop thinking about what the Principal said about the school being a Kpop idol prep school. Known of it had made any sense. Why didn't my parents tell me? Do they even know? After the final stop on the tour, you are sent to find your dorm. It takes you a while to finally find yours since the school is practically the size of Taiwan. You are greeted at the door by a rather tall girl name Song Qian. You are surprised and excited that you have another Chinese girl in your dorm. “The other two girls are out buying some groceries but they’ll be back soon enough. Oh! By the way, you can call me Victoria.” “Ok,” you respond happily and lay your luggage on the empty bed on the far corner of the room. The room next had a small kitchen, a table, and a living space. “This is nice.” You say. “Yeah it's…” before Victoria can finish the front door is opened. “Come here!” She says and beckons you towards the dorm’s entrance. Two girls step inside, both are bickering with each other in Korean. Victoria elbows the one to the right. “Ow!” The girl whines. She looks over to me and widens her eyes and smiles. She waves to you as she introduces herself, “Hello, I'm Hyuna.” “I’m Soo Jung, but you can call me Krystal if you want.” Says the girl to the left. “We’ll have lots of fun.” Hyuna says with a mischievous grin playing on her face.