Chapter 1

Kpop Prep School

“Mama, why do I have to go?” You complain to your mother as she picks up the package that contains your new school uniform. Your mother sighs and looks up at you with tired eyes. “We have talked about this numerous times. It is a wonderful opportunity for you to focus on your Asian studies and interact with kids like you.” “Really, kids like me?” You say staring quizzically at your Mom. “Last time I checked this isn't the 19th century and my race doesn't define me.” “Han Meili!” Your mother shrieks. “You better watch your tone with me!” She calms herself and lifts your chin up so your eyes meet hers. “It’s for the best, honey. I promise you will love it there.” She says, her facial expression drastically changing from what it was a few seconds before. You nod your head and your mother starts to open the package. “Wow, so cute!” She says and puts it up against your petite frame. You look to the side to take a peek at your uniform. It was a white sweater with dark blue stripes and a skirt the same color as the stripes. “Look how many options you have, Mei.” Your mother says as she beckons you to see the rest of the contents in the box. “They aren't options, it looks like I have a different uniform for each time of day.” You respond after reading the paper attached to one of the uniforms. There was one uniform for educational classes, one for art classes, and one for physical education. There was even an ensemble for going to sleep. Great, the school is so controlling you can't even wear what you want outside of class. “Oh!" Your mother exclaims. She looks at you, reading the disappointment on your face. “It's ok, Meili.” She tries to reassure you  and pulls you into her chest. You then leave  to your bedroom  to collect your thoughts. That night you cry. You didn't want to leave home to go to some weird prep school for Asians so you can become a scholar. A scholar, exactly who you parents want you to be. You get up in the morning and look at your appearance. Surprisingly, your eyes still look a little swollen from the night before. You think that you could loose a little weight before the school year starts, although you don't have much time. The next couple weeks of summer go by fast. You hang out with some of your friends. One of your friends named James asks you out but you decline. There was no real point in dating anyone when you were about to leave for boarding school, especially when your parents would never approve. You are only fourteen and James is zero percent Asian. You say goodbye to all your friends a few days before school starts, they throw a going away party for you. When your best friend Jinji finally leaves the party, you squeeze her  so hard she told you that you were choking her. Her English name was Olivia and you loved like a sister. “Bye bye Margeaux!” She said as she left your house. “Saranghae, Mei Mei.” You were crushed you had to leave so early, after all, classes didn't start until September 1st, but the orientation was on August 27, and your parents wanted to make sure you got there in enough time to settle in. As your Dad drove you to your new school, you looked out the window the whole time, finally truly appreciating how beautiful Northern Australia really was.