Scared

Ficlet dump

Pairing: YunJae
Universe: Alternative
Genre: Romance
Length: 625 words
Rating: PG-13
Warning: fluff, male pregnancy

A/N: Originally posted on LJ in March 2010.

Summary: Thunder and lightning can scare even the bravest little warrior.

*****

The sky was growling tremendously, a flash of light cutting through the dark night every now and then and always followed by even more shiver-causing growls. The rain was falling against the window of the little chamber without hesitation, big brown eyes widened and little hands clutching tight onto a fluffy pillow.

The small boy winced whenever a very loud thunder cut through the rain-laden air, his eyes closed tightly and soft little whimpers leaving his pouty lips which he without doubt had from his umma.

“Iseul is a big boy. Iseul can do this!” he assured himself, speaking to the pillow he was clasping tightly to his little chest. His appa always told him that he was a big boy; he even could use the toilet by himself and could dress himself without any help! His parents were so proud of their three-year-old little son.

A shriek left his lips when the loudest of all these thunders rang through the night sky and was followed by a bright lightning. Iseul was a brave little warrior, but this was too much for his little heart.

His small legs were carrying him as fast as they could towards the bedroom of his parents, the pitter-patter of his little feet resounding in the wooden hallway. They were accompanied by the tremendous growling that seemed to follow him everywhere he went.

“Umma! Umma!” he called out in his fear as soon as he burst through the door of his parents' bedroom, the pillow still tightly pressed against his chest where his little heart was beating fiercely. He ran towards the bed his parents were sleeping in, pouncing onto the stirring figures when he panicked because of another very loud thunder.

“Hngh, Seulie, what's wrong?” the sleep-laden and drowsy voice of his umma resounded through the big room when he sat between his parents who slowly lifted themselves into a sitting position.

“I-I'm scared,” Iseul choked out, his lips trembling when tears started to spill from his eyes. That thunder was really too much for his warrior-heart.

“Now, now. Don't cry. You're a big boy, aren't you?” the smooth voice of his appa vibrated in his small ears, letting him slowly nod his head. His soft sobs were muffled by the pillow he was holding when he stuffed his face into the fluffy cushion.

“YunHo, don't be like this. Can't you see that he's terrified?” JaeJoong remarked, scooping his trembling and crying son into his arms. YunHo smiled warmly at his husband who rocked Iseul gently back and forth.

“Now stop crying, Seulie-ah. You need to be strong for your little sister,” YunHo said softly when he thumbed away Iseul's tears that were streaming down his flushed puffy cheeks.

The small boy sniffed softly at these words. His appa was right. He needed to be strong for his little sister that was growing inside of his umma. He was the big brother and needed to protect her after all!

“Umma, can I sleep here?” Iseul asked softly. He was brave but still scared to sleep alone at this growling night.

“Of course, baby,” JaeJoong replied with a soft smile before he gently pecked Iseul's forehead.

Iseul was securely tugged under the sheets right between his parents and received soft and loving kisses from each; one of his appa and one of his umma. He drifted off into a peaceful slumber between his parents, snuggled against his umma's chest and the round tummy where his sister was sleeping in, and was embraced by his parents' arms.

The thunder and lightning were still echoing and shimmering through the night sky, but it didn't matter to the brave little warrior any longer.