Ten

Hymn For The Broken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris POV~

 

[1 month before]

“Ma’am, I’ve been as specific as I can be. I’m going to buy your restaurant, and turn it into an apartment complex.” I explained as I stared at the other couple. The woman, small and frail looking; her brown hair pulled back into a clip on the back of her head. The man, his salt and pepper hair slicked back with some hair gel, he wasn’t exactly well built but he wasn’t lanky either.

“But this is our livelihood. How could you do this to an old couple?” The woman exasperated. Her husband just sighing and rubbing her back, you could see the panic in her face.

“Mrs. Lu, I am going to be giving you one-hundred-and-fifty thousand dollars for your business. You and your husband will be more than well off. You won’t need to worry about working yourself into the grave to try and pay the bills”

“We have owned this restaurant since we were twenty years old Mr. Wu. We have put our heart and soul into this place. Family’s have been coming to us for more than four generations. Our friends have been coming here since we opened the restaurant. You gotta understand how much this place means to us, our friends, and our family” The man explained, his eyes sad. I would be lying if I said that didn’t pull on my strings. I close my eyes momentarily before looking back at them.

“I know what it is like to lose something you’ve put your soul into. It’s heartbreaking to just have someone take it from you. But what I’m offering here is stability. You won’t have money issues from here on out Mr and Mrs. Lu”

“That doesn’t mean this place doesn’t mean nothing to us. There is a lot of sentimental value in between these walls.” Mrs. Lu sniffled and hung her head, folding her hands in he lap.

“I’m not trying to deny what you have built here. This is an up and coming location and I see a lot of future people wanting to live here. There’s a school nearby, a park, and a lot of people who look out for everyone here. It’s a wonderful location for young couples or new families.”

“And what about the existing families? What will happen to them when big corporations like you buy all their homes and they have to leave?”

“I’m not buying homes Mr and Mrs. Lu. I’m providing older couples like you some stability by buying their businesses. I know putting it like that sounds like I’m only in it for the money, but I’m not. Please try to understand-”

“Mom, Dad, I’m back from school.” I voice called from the front of the store. I frown lightly and stand up, fixing my suit jacket as I follow them. There was a boy standing by the doo, hanging up his coat. He was gorgeous, soft pale peach skin with his cheeks reddened from the cold outside, his light brown hair slightly messy. He was wearing simple gray sweats and a t-shirt. I gulped lightly as I looked at him. He stopped in his tracks and looked at me and his parents.

“Who’s this?” He asks as he looks at me; up and down. I keep my face blank and put my hands in front of my stomach.

“He wants to buy our restaurant and we’re negotiating” His father said.

“Wait!” Mrs. Lu suddenly exclaimed. We all frowned and turned to face her in confusion.

“What about our son? Will you take him instead of the restaurant?” She questioned.

"What?! Mom!” The boy exclaimed.

“You want to exchange your son for your restaurant?” I raise an eyebrow.  

“Are you serious?” Her husband no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter