Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me

What're you looking at, punk?

Mark woke up from the best sleep he had in weeks, feeling rested and ready to start his day. His pain from his body was greatly reduced, pain from his soulmate mark was non-existent.

 

He woke up early for the first time since he started school, getting up to cook some breakfast for himself. He made himself some pancakes and bacon, making sure to make some extra for Jackson.

He made his way out of his apartment with a spring in his step, and a lunchbox in his hand, walking over to the apartment a door away. 

 

"Yo Jacks! Open up! It's me Mark!" Mark pounded on the door. A sleepy, disorientated, Jackson opened the door, very confused by the sudden visit. But quickly relaxes seeing Mark brought food.

 

"Mornin' Markie! What brings here this morning? Is this for me?" Jackson said, pointing at the lunchbox that Mark was clutching. Mark nodded and passed Jackson the lunchbox, letting himself into the apartment.

 

"So whassup? Someone looks happy." Jackson pointed out. 

 

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Mark denied, Jackson was still skeptical. "How was your group project though?" 

 

"Oh yeah! Let me tell you about it!" Jackson said that Jaebum was actually a pretty funny kid. He said that they instantly clicked and spent half of the time talking about anything and everything under the sun. 

 

"I invited Jaebum for our weekly gatherings too. I can't wait for you guys to meet him." Jackson exclaimed.

Mark reminded Jackson that they have lectures in 30 minutes, hurrying Jackson so that they won't be late. 


Mark and Jackson were finally out of the apartment, walking to school and chattering about.

 

"Oh hey, how was detention with Jinyoung yesterday?" Mark stopped his tracks, turning red by the second.

 

"Uhh... I-It was cool, I guess. W-We didn't talk much." Mark said. Totally believable, Mark.

 

"Dude, you're turning red. Are you ok?" Jackson asked, voice laced with concern. 

 

"I'm okay dude. Oh we're here." Please be distracted, don't question me anymore man. Mark prayed. 

 

Luckily Jackson halted the questions and dragged Mark into the school, excited to start school. Phew. I dodged the bullet that time.

Mark couldn't help but feel anxious for the day ahead. He has that underlying feeling that it is going to be awkward between him and Jinyoung. Even worse, his first class is with Jinyoung.

 

Mark could only pray on his lucky stars that today will just be another normal day.


Mark walked into the class, heaving a sigh of relief to see that Jinyoung wasn't at his desk yet. He gladly walked over to his desk and put his stuff down. 

 

It was almost an hour since class started and there was still no sign of Jinyoung. Mark felt somehow worried for him. Wait, did I just worry for him?

Mark decided to drop Jinyoung a message on whether the project still on, totally not because he's concerned about Jinyoung. Sheesh.

Jinyoung

Hey Jinyoung

You weren't in class today, you still up for the project?

 

Hi Mark.

Yeah I'm kinda sick, I don't think I can do much.

 

Are you okay? I'll still need to stop by to give you your homework.

You need anything?

No, I'm good! See you :)

 


Mark approached the address that Jinyoung sent him, located at the more shabby part of soul. He of course brought a can of soup, having a huge internal dilemma in the grocery store; looking for food for Jinyoung that didn't show that he was too concerned, but still a teensy weensy bit concerned. He settled with a can of ready-to-eat mushroom soup and proceeded on his way. 

 

He subtly rapped at Jinyoung's door, not failing to notice that all his shoes are in disarray. That somehow doesn't surprise me.

 

He hears shuffling in the apartment. A blanket-covered Jinyoung greets him, sickness evident on his face. Mark says a small hi, holding the plastic bag containing the soup to his face.

 

"Have you eaten yet, Jinyoung?" Mark asked. Jinyoung shook his head. Jinyoung motions for Mark to come inside, Mark dropping his belongings on Jinyoung's couch. Looking around, it was a small and humble 1-bedroom apartment, but nonetheless it emits a homey feel. A two-seater brown couch and television furnish the living room, an unkempt shelf hiding in the corner too.

 

"Nice apartment Jinyoung. May I use the kitchen?"

 

"Yeah, its that way. The pots are in the cupboard near the fridge."

 

"Thanks. Go and take a nap first, you look like you need it." Jinyoung scoffed, but a small smile was evident on his face as he headed to his room, dragging his feet behind him. And Mark unconsciously was smiling as he warmed up the soup.

 

 

Jinyoung has long finished his bowl of soup, claiming it was so-so, but still gobbled up the soup like he hasn't eaten in days.  He is  now claiming that he had enough energy to do some work. They were working on their project for their business module, but chattering more than actually doing the work.

 

"When do you want to start learning your Korean? It's becoming a hassle to use English all the time." Jinyoung whined. Cute.

 

Mark rolled his eyes at Jinyoung, but nevertheless still eager. "I mean we can start now. But I know about the alphabets already, Jackson forced me to learn it every time I went home with him." 

 

Jinyoung ran to his bookshelf in the corner of the living room, taking a children's book out. Mark's eyebrow furrowed, giving Jinyoung a questioning stare. A Korean rendition of Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me. How, odd.

Jinyoung senses the judgement, quickly sitting down to explain himself.

 

"Okay, look, I'm not a creepy e or something. This was mine when I was little." Mark's stare softened a bit, but still was curious to why Jinyoung kept a children's book. Jinyoung continued his story.

 

"My dad gave this to me when I was 4, and I certainly loved it. It was the last thing he gave me before going away." Jinyoung recalled. Trying his best to hold back his tears. 

 

"If you don't mind me asking, where did he go?" 

 

"He died in a car accident when I was shy of 5." Jinyoung's answer came out as a small whisper. 

 

"I'm so sorry."

 

"It's okay. It was a long time ago anyway", he shrugged off, "Anyway, I want you to read at least a page of this before we meet up for our project tomorrow. Some words may be difficult, so you can drop me text if you need help. If you don't get this done, I swear to god Tuan I'll make you pay." Jinyoung joked, but his voice was laced with pain.

 

It was then that Mark saw how beautiful Jinyoung was. His breath hitched at the beauty that behold his eyes. Never has he seen anyone so strong in his eyes, and for a moment, forgetting his train of thought. Mark never thought Jinyoung had faced such a tragedy in his life, and emerging out of it.

After his internal breakdown, Mark decided to go along with it and faked a whine, agreeing to his extra 'homework'. Easy, Mark. Breathe.

 

"Hey Jinyoung, if you want you can hang out with me, instead of your idiot companions, tomorrow. I think that its time for you to be comfortable in your own skin yeah?"

 

"Yeah, I would like that." Jinyoung answers, a grin forming on his face. Mark glances at the wall clock, shocked to see that it was already 8:00PM at night, spending nearly 5 hours with Jinyoung.


 

Mark was in the doorway getting ready to go home.

 

"Get well soon Jinyoung, make sure you take your medicine. And you better sleep early!" Mark playfully warned Jinyoung, earning a punch in the arm from him.

 

"Yes, I will Tuan. Get home safely, I'll see you tomorrow, hopefully." Jinyoung waved him goodbye. Mark walked home with a spring in his step that night, being more certain that Jinyoung can fill his role of his 'soulmate'. And Mark wouldn't have it any other way.


 

 

Hey everyone! Sorry for the late update, I had a pretty busy week. I hope you guys like this chapter, and thank you all so much for taking the time to read my first fanfic! :)

Oh and P.S. the book is called Papa, Please Get The Moon For Me by Eric Carle.

Enjoy reading!