Nightmares and Surprises

What're you looking at, punk?

Mark cracks his eyes open, being disturbed from his slumber. He glances to his right, his clock displaying that it was indeed 3 am. He then takes a peek at Jinyoung, who is in his arms, sleeping away. Mark smiles, remembering how the younger eventually agreed to stay over after maybe 25 times of Mark asking. 

 

Jinyoung's eyes suddenly furrowed, whimpering escaping from his lips. Mark freezes, not knowing what to do. Eventually, the whimpers morphs into sobs.

Mark springs into action, trying to shake JInyoung awake from his nightmare. 

 

"Dad! Dad! Don't leave me! Please!" Jinyoung cries.  

 

"Baby, please wake up. You're safe. I'm right here, love." Mark whispers in his ears, still shaking him awake. 

 

Jinyoung wakes up with a shrill, trembling in Mark's arms. "You're safe Jinyoung-ah. I'm here, You're okay, love." Mark coos, placing light kisses on Jinyoung's temple, attempting to calm him down. 

Jinyoung sobs even more in Mark's embrace, unable to stop his tears from flowing. 

 

Mark has been rubbing circles in Jinyoung's back for around twenty minutes now, Jinyoung's tears eventually reduced to soft whimpers. Jinyoung looked exhausted once he's done; eyes red and droopy, skin pale and overall a messAnd it rips Mark's heart apart. 

 

"Baby, you can tell me what happened. I'm here for you." Mark coaxes, hoping Jinyoung would tell him. He's hurting so much. I would do anything alleviate the pain. 

 

Jinyoung went stiff for a few moments, then sags in his arms, slowly opening his mouth to speak. 

 

"I dreamt that my Dad was still alive, standing in front of me on our lawn back in Jinhae. But as I went out to touch him, he started disintegrating. But, its okay. I get these nightmares often, but it did lessen once I met you." 

 

Mark gazes at Jinyoung with a worried expression, "It shouldn't have to be okay, love. I'm here now, and I will love you more to make up for your loss of Dad. If you want to play baseball, hey, I will play with you. I'm right here for you baby."

 

And with that, Mark leaned back into the bed, dragging Jinyoung with him too. He wraps his arms around Jinyoung as Jinyoung snakes his arms around Mark's torso. After a few goodnightsand some sneaky kisses from Mark, the two went back to sleep.


A shrill alarm echoes throughout the whole room, light peeking through the blinds. Mark reaches out to his bed side table promptly,  attempting to silence his phone before Jinyoung wakes up from all the ruckus. Who could possibly be calling so early in the morning?

 

His mom's photo illuminates the whole screen, somehow worried why his mom was calling so early for.  But then again, she might just have mistaken the time difference again.

 

Mark picks up the phone, still half asleep. "Hello?". Next to him, JInyoung cracks his eyes open from the call. 'Who is it?', Jinyoung mouths, a hint of annoyance covering his face. 'Its mom', Mark mouths back, not forgetting to mouth a good morning too. 

 

"Wait what?!" Mark yells almost, jupmping to his feet, startling Jinyoung as well. "Like right now!? Why didn't you tell me before hand?" 

 

Mark strides around the room, with the phone trapped in his cheek, stuffing the dirty laundry on the floor away to his closet. Jinyoung has no idea what was happening, but senses that h should help Mark clean the apartment in a jiffy. 

 

"Okay, mom. I'm going to hang up to make ourselves look at least a tiny bit presentable. Bye." Once Mark hang's up the phone did he realized that he had said 'ourselves'. Cause great. I just dragged Jinyoung into this. 

 

"Jinyoung, my parents are on their way over. I need you to take a shower right now while I clean the apartment." Mark commands, pushing a bewildered Jinyoung into the bathroom. 

 

"Oh ! How long do we have until they reach your apartment?" Jinyoung asks. Mark glances at his watch before muttering 45 minutes to Jinyoung and the closing the door swiftly. 

 

To say that Mark was distressed was an understatement. Hell, his apartment was as dirty as it could be, and this would be the first time Jinyoung and his parent would meet. A nice heads up would have been appreciatedbut noit had to be a surprise. 

 

Mark had almost finished washing the dishes when Jinyoung came out of the bathroom hastily. Jinyoung runs to Mark's closet, taking out some jeans and a black button-down shirt in a flash. 

 

Once he was dressed, he makes his way to the kitchen where Mark was still doing the dishes. This time, Jinyoung was the one to shove Mark hastily into the bathroom, assuring Mark that he would indeed takeover. 

 

Jinyoung tried to make the place as spotless as he could, even picking out clothes for Mark to wear so that they didn't have to waste any time.

 

Mark finishes his shower in record-time and hurries to put on his clothes as well. When all was done, they had ten minutes left before Mark's parents were due to arrive.

 

He and Jinyoung takes a seat in the middle of the couch, resting after their speedy clean-up. Only then did Jinyoung let it sink in, that yes, he was indeed about to meet his soulmate's parents for the first time.

Mark studies Jinyoung, who is looking more and more anxious by the momentplaying with his fingers, shaking his legs, sitting still was impossible. What if his parents don't like me? What if they say Mark is too well-off for me? Oh my god, what if they think I'm a gold-digger. I'm so ed. 

 

The older takes Jinyoung's had in his, and offers him a bright smile," Jinyoungie, you'll be fine. They will love you, I know it. So, don't be nervous." Mark snickers, proceeding to smoothen the younger's frown, finding it cute how Jinyoung is so determined to get a good impression.

 

A series of sudden knocks echoes their way around the living room, signalling the arrival of Mark's parents. Mark rushes over to the door, dragging Jinyoung with him too. , its now or never.

 

Once the door opened, they we're greeted by plump, slightly short woman, slanted eyes that is very much like Mark's,  and also a taller, portly man that looks like Mark also. 

 

Mark's mother reaches out to hug Jinyoung first, pushing Mark towards his father first. "Oh my god. Jinyoung you're so handsome!" Mark's mother exclaims," You have the looks of an actor!" Mark sees how Jinyoung's cheeks redden and beamed at the compliment as he hugs his dad. Man, how I missed them so much. 

 

Mark brings the crowd to the living room, very happy to see that Jinyoung was getting along with his mom. Mark sat his parents and boyfriend down on the couch, heaving a sigh of relief when his mom didn't notice the stuffed socks in the crevices of the couch, saving him maybe an hour of lecturing from his parents. 

 

Mark was practically ignored the whole hour while his parents ogled at Jinyoung. Finally, after a few embarrassing childhood stories and awkward adolescent photos, Mark's parents proceeded to go their way. They revealed that they actually had a business meeting in Seoul today, that's why the sudden trip. 

 

"Son, Jinyoung is perfect for you. He's a keeper." His dad says, patting his back as he looks tenderly at Jinyoung. "Yes, I agree. If you hurt him, I will disown you.", His mom adds, faking a glare at Mark. Jinyoung chuckles at the compliment, cheeks heating up a the affection he's being showered with.

 

Mark was quick to open up a spare bedroom for his parents, already aware that they were about to spend their night at a nearby hotel. They're already tired as is. 

 

"Oh no. Its okay, we wouldn't want to intrude." His mom refuses, his dad agreeing too. Mark nudges Jinyoung to get him to say something to make his parents agree because he knows that his parents were willing to do anything for Jinyoung at this point. 

 

Jinyoung immediately gets the message and gets a hold of Mark's parents' hands,"Its okay Mrs Tuan. You're really not intruding. I can stay at my own apartment tonight.", he reassures. His parents looked at each other, starting a silent conversation.

 

"Oh honey, just call me mom already." His mom says,"We'll stay as long as Jinyoung does too. And its not like Jinyoung here is using the spare room anyway. We know that you both share, so don't even try to hide it." 

 

Mark's and Jinyoung's cheeks quickly reddened while his parents gave them a knowing look. Jesus, my parents sure knows how to embarrass people.

 


 

Jinyoung and Mark were finally alone, choosing to skip school after such a hectic morning. They laid on the couch, Jinyoung laying atop of Mark as they try to unwind from the chaos that his parents' had brought. 

 

Jinyoung recalls all the events that had transpired today, chuckling at the stories and pictures, most of which were embarrassing, of Mark. 

 

Mark glances at Jinyoung, who is practically shaking on his chest, "Ugh, my mom just gave you laughter material for days.", chuckling too. Jinyoung laughed even more, and soon they were a giggling mess. 

 

They stared at each other a few moments later, admiring the way that Jinyoung's eyes crescents as he smiles, his perfect pearly whites and his cheeks that he so dearly loves. This is when Jinyoung was the most beautiful to Mark, when he's happy. 

 

He was suddenly brought back to last night when Jinyoung looked so broken, and hell, it pained him so much to see how his precious Jinyoung is so wounded.

 

"Baby." Mark mutters. Jinyoung's eyebrows furrow a bit, seeing how Mark's face dropped in a second, but still hummed in response. "I know you're still scarred that your father had passed, but I want you to know how my parents are your parents now. Like, I've never seen my parents so excited in a long time, and its because of you, Nyoung. I hope that you wouldn't be afraid to love them like they're your own, cause they love you as their own son." 

 

Jinyoung just beamed at Mark, eyes becoming glassy as he utters a small thanks. Mark proceeds to wrap his arms around Jinyoung's torso, Jinyoung's face finding the crook of his neck as Mark whispered sweet nothings into his ear. 

In that moment, Mark just knew that when Jinyoung is happy, he's contented. And hell, he's never been so happy to be so whipped. 


Sorry for the late chapter everyone! School has not been easy for me and I got a bit busy, but I'm back now! Yayyyyy! Hope that you guys like this chapter <3