Former Friend, Present Foe

What're you looking at, punk?

Mark has been in Korea for about 3 months now. His relationship with Jinyoung had been going swimmingly well, having Jinyoung moved in around 2 weeks ago. It had honestly been splendid to have Jinyoung by his side, though he did feel it was a tad bit domestic, but he didn't mindnot when he's with Jinyoung. 

 

It had been a win-win situation for all; for Jinyoung who was dismissed by his previous landlord for being unable to pay the bills on time, and Mark, who had an insatiable 'obsession' ,as Jackson calls it, for the younger. It did work out very well for the two, though Jinyoung had said that he will still make the effort to pull his own weight, and Mark respects that.
 

Not only that, but the younger, who had made it mandatory for Mark to speak in Korean for at least 6 hours per day, definitely provided the means for Mark to be able to speak the language fluently. Their friends had also noticed the sudden improvement, proud of Mark for the quick developmenttheir conversation certainly have flowing easier, and the language barrier was demolished quick. 

 

Mark's life was going great without a hitch—or so he thought. 


As Jinyoung and Mark walked into school that morning, the hallway was filled with whispers; though, not highly unusual. But what had Mark turning his head, was a mention of a new American foreign exchange student, studying in their university for the summer. 

 

"I heard his name was Justin Williams or something." A girl dreamily says to her friend, looking almost excited to share the newest gossip in the campus. That name, it can't be. 

 

And Mark suddenly tenses up; cause he did know someone with that name. Justin Williams, The name alone sending shivers down Mark spine. Mark had encountered the guy on many occasions throughout his childhood, as well as his teens. And it was absolute hell. 

 

The two had gone way back, meeting when they were both just starting to go to school, but their friendship had ended on a very bad note.

 

Justin was nice at first, befriending 5-year-old Mark on the first day of kindergarten. The two were initially inseparable, doing everything together for years, and were often even mistaken for twin brothers. The pair lost all contact in middle school, when the other boy had to move out of LA when his Justin's father was transferred to New York for his job. 

 

It wasn't until high school where Mark stumbles upon Justin, literally. Mark was still the introvert he is, preferring to hang out alone in library than go to parties with his classmates. He was quickly outcasted in middle school, when he was detached from Justinthe social butterfly he was. Mark was shocked, but quickly offering his past best friend a grin, elated to see his former best friend.

 

Justin, however, grimaces at Mark, shoving him to the floor. That was then Mark noticed the way Justin looked; ripped jeans, scars littering his skin, that icy glare that's thrown at Mark as if Justin had never seen Mark in his life before. 

It threw Mark off, thinking that he maybe he was a different person altogether, mistaking someone who had looked a lot like Justin. It wasn't until the boy smirked, immediately recognizing how his lips curled up, seeing it many times long ago.

 

"It's been long, Mark. I see what a loser you've grown up to be." Justin spits, stepping forward to approach Mark, towering over him.

 

Mark instantly senses the impending danger, scampering off before Justin could've laid his hands on him. But it was eventually to no availJustin being placed in the same class as him. That was when all the beatings started, which ultimately lead to him being dragged by Justin into the back alley every afternoon.

Soon after the whole school was participating in the bashing of Mark Tuan; often extorting money tooknowing of his affluent family. The bullying went on, until he moved here. 

 

And just when he thought life was going well for him, here he was, reunited with his long lost oppressor. Unpleasant memories started filling his head, stiffening up quickly. Though he does try his best to reason that this maybe a different Justin Williams from LA, he just knew that it was the same one. 

 

Jinyoung starts to wave his hands in front of Mark's eyes, seeing how he's been staring into space for almost a full minute now. Mark woke up to take a glance at Jinyoung, who looks confused as to what was happening. 

"Are you okay, babe? Why did you stop walking?" Jinyoung asks, finding his hand quickly, giving a squeeze to reassure Mark. , I have to tell him.

 

"Actually, not really." Mark confesses. Mark brings them to the alley in a flash, immediately spewing out the whole story, choking back his tearswhich he did a great job of doing. Jinyoung takes his hand, bringing it over to his lips, and grazed over it, instantly calming the older down. 

"You're okay, love. I will be right beside you. He can't hurt you, cause I'm here." Jinyoung comforts Mark, smiling as wide as possible as if to get rid of all the older's anxieties. 

And Mark found all the assurance he needed to face Justin head on. 

 


The couple made their way over to class that morning after their talk in the alley, Mark surely feeling lighter than he was before. Upon entering the classroom though, he sees his seat being taken up by a familiar brunette, one that had caused him a lot of painboth physically and mentally. .

 

Before he can react however, Jinyoung was already making his way to Justin, with the same facial expression Jinyoung had when he first met him, one pride and dominance. Mark, however, was quick to follow behind the younger, sensing a confrontation was about to happen.

He stood behind Jinyoung though, not ready for insults to be thrown at him first thing in the morning. 

 

"Hey, new guy. You're sitting in my boyfriend's seat. off." Jinyoung growls, his glare almost piercing through Justin's head. Mark was absolutely terrified of how pissed Jinyoung looks right now. He looks over to Justin, who wasn't even batting an eyelash, mirroring Jinyoung's face. 

 

"You're that loser's boyfriend?" Justin refutes," Damn, now I have double the punching bags." By now, a small crowd of their classmates had gathered around them, confused by the altercation that is happening in English. 

 

"You think a pipsqueak like you can beat me up? At least try grow some muscles before your scrawny attempts to challenge me." Jinyoung fires, his face unchanging. And if Mark thinks Jinyoung was savage before, he should think again. 

 

Justin's face morphs into disgust, uttering a small grant as he was unable to think of a comeback. Grudgingly, he picks up his backpack, vacating Mark's seat, but not before he spits out that "This isn't the last you'll hear from me." to Jinyoung, who just shrugged it off and sat down. 

That was the first time Mark had seen anyone provoked Justin, and Mark was in awe. 


It's been a almost 3 days with Justin in his class and Mark feels that he's been transported back to LA; with the pest waiting for Mark after class, just to throw an insult. Though the beating didn't comemaybe since Justin may had been intimidated by his lovely boyfriend. 

 

His friends too, had not only helped accompany Mark everywhere, just in case the twerp do something to the older. The younger ones though, helped by scowling at Justin whenever he walked by, aware that they couldn't over power the new transfer student.

 

Mark honestly feels that he is burdening his friends with his problems, and he really just want to tell himself to grow a pair and actually fight backfor once. But, since Justin had started to bully him, he just couldn't hit him back. 

 

He really did try to man up, but once his hand rises to take a strike, he just sees his old best friend, smiling to him and laughing like old times, and that just renders him useless.

 

Mark eyes Justin while packing his bag, ready to be home with Jinyoung and to watch a movie and de-stress, since the presence of the hooligan had added heaps to it in just a few days.

 

Mark has this nagging feeling at the back of his mind, knowing Justin would pull something in the few days to come. Justin, who was currently getting chummy with Minjun and Jinsoo, was not aware of the 4 pairs of eyes that were glaring at him.

 

He sees that his friends had sensed it too, watching Justin and his new 'friends' like a hawk in case he plans something. 

But even with all the watching they did, they weren't prepared for what Justin had just devised to mess with Mark further.

And , did it aggravate Jinyoung.