009

That night

Hanbin was sitting nervously in front of his boss, right leg shaking as a habit to calm down the streaming thoughts in his mind. The man in front of him was fixing him with a serious stare, head tilted to the side, chin propped on the top of his joined hands. He didn't dare to add a single word, fearing it might get even worse for him if it could, he knew way to well what that silence meant. Even Donghyuk who was usually here to cheer him up when he'd been scolded by the older didn't move a finger nor had a hint of smile on his pretty face. The tension was threatening to kill him before Bobby finally opened his mouth after hearing his little story.

- Are you telling me that this Kim Jin-something is gambolling freely outside, knowing about us and your sleeping disorders ? Are you serious B.I ? Is it how I taught you to behave ?

Hanbin only flinched on his chair at the cold tone used, eyes obstinately glued on his hands playing with the thread coming out of his ripped pair of jeans. He slowly shook his head, feeling as guilty as if he'd been chided by his own father, but he couldn't have done much more, could he ? He was already feeling down after trusting Jinhwan's empty words about solving his problems, was he strong enough to endure Bobby's sharp ones in a row ? He was desparated for some help, his nightmares were killing him and Bobby knew it without a doubt. A sigh escaped from the boss' mouth and the latter gently asked Donghyuk to get out of the the small room. The blond boy nodded within a second and walked pass Hanbin, squeezing his shoulder to show some support before leaving in a small -clic- of the door. The two of them were left alone in the locked space, bearing the heavy atmosphere. Hanbin hated those face to face talks the most, but he didn't expect what was to come.

- Well. I don't really have the time to joke around about this serious case, ok ? This human can be the death of us Hanbin, and I'm freaking not overreacting.

Bobby stopped a second to scan his reactions but apart from his opened mouth and the incomprehension written all over his face, there was nothing to see. The bunny teeth guy ran a frustrated hand through his hair and bent closer to Hanbin, his voice barely louder than a rustle.

- Listen, I didn't want to involve you in this crappy affair, but after what you just told me, we need to take extra precautions. You know that I don't only work for the blood bank system, I'm also in charge of keeping an eye on the human's actions, right ?

Hanbin nodded silently, frowning, his black orbs now judging his elder's. His fear of getting looked down on by Bobby changed into a serious attitude and he switched his position, straightening his body. It wasn't two brothers talking anymore, but a business man and his right-hand man. Noticing the change, the older allowed himself to grin, and continued.

- Brace yourself man, 'coz the human's part of the government made a move. My informers told me about a secret project, a renewal of something, but they failed to get more details about it. I don't want to send them there again, it could be dangerous, but this isn't the problem. I need to know if your boy is working for them.

 

 

 

His hands were stiff on the steering wheel, gripping on it so hard his knuckles were already turning white. Lucky was the man in the car in front of him because if it wasn't for the rain pouring as during a downpour, he would have get his out of his car to beat him up. He needed to release the anger bubbling hard and thick in his veins but the sole means he was able to think about was to go to the cimetery in the middle of the rush hours or to punch every strangers crossing his road. No need to weight the pros and cons in those conditions. The traffic light taking the eternity to switch to the green made him hit the dashboard with a furious punch, but he immedialty regretted it when he felt an electrifying pain dashing along his arm. Sighing heavily to relieve some of his cumbersome emotions, he closed his eyes for a second. 

He felt used, betrayed, defiled. Who was this mere human to think it was ok to fool him ? Him who'd been naive enough to trust the other, him who'd been charmed by the softness of his skin, .. him who'd fallen for the ennemy. He was almost ready to swear on his name that if their roads were to cross again, and they certainly will, he would take revenge on him and not by the sweetest way, but the car in front of him finally moved and he pressed the pedal, making him retrieve his thoughts to a corner of his head, now focusing on the road not to lost himselft in the blaze of the city.

 

 

 

The cimetery parking was as empty as always, and by the time he parked his car, the grey clouds were dispersing to let slight rays of sunlight pierced through them. Hanbin opened the door and got out, grabbing by the same time the jacket laying on the passenger sit to cover him from the cold bite. The familiar sound of the doors locking preceded the sound of his soles against the gravel and he made his way into the place which seemed to welcome him as if it has been waiting for him since a long time.

Surprisingly, no matter how angry and close to lose it he was, this place had always had the capacity to calm him down. Lost between the graves and the rare flowers bouquets, he took the time to read one by one each names, each dates and silently apologised for never bringing something else but his sorrows.

The first time he came here was purely by accident, rather close to his 19th birthday about one year ago.

That day, he'd been wandering around for hours, stomach empty and blood thirsty, wearing torn jeans and a simple hoodie that he'd stolen from a random shop. He'd run away from Bobby, again. It was the third time since he moved in with the older, third time in three months in fact. But he couldn't help it. He was scared, scared of what the other boy could have seen through him that himself couldn't see. Bobby was indeed a good guy, giving him a place to rest, food to eat, work to do, but sometimes, his stare was so sharp and probing Hanbin felt weak, , and he couldn't stand it. He didn't want to be weak. Maybe Hanbin should have kept his worries for him, should have acted like the normal Heir he was supposed to be, but the older knew something was going on with him. Who was he to refuse a helping hand ? He believed, maybe too innocently, that Bobby could have been the solution.

But it only led to arguments and Hanbin's runaways. How many times did they fight over that ? How many times Bobby asked him the same questions over, again and again ?

- What did you dream of ? What happened in your nightmares ?

- I don't know, it was blurry.

- Try and describe it.

- I already told you .. White, blinding light. I can't see anything else, but I hear voices.

- And what do they say ?

- I don't know, I can't understand.

- It's because you don't try to understand ! 

The older said, seemingly annoyed by the younger's attitude. Hanbin hated being yelled at, and they'd been talking non sense for almost thirteen minutes. After a sigh, Bobby ran a hand on his edgy face and dared to asked something again. 

- Anything else ?

- I can't move. I'm scared.

- Why ? By what ?

- I don't know.

After their little conversations, where Hanbin's still shivering with cold sweat remembering his dreams, Bobby was always the first one to burst out of the younger's bedroom, upset, letting the latter alone with his toughts and concerns. He would feel dumb, useless. Was he a burden ?

Hanbin only stopped running away when Bobby stopped asking him questions about his, what they call, "sleeping disorders".

 

The cimetery was now his sanctum, his shelter where he felt safe when scared, calm when angry, surrounded when lonely. 

Hanbin's steps stopped by themselves in front of a particular grave and the young man came back to reality. His eyes landed on the stone and he smiled softly, brushing the tips of his fingers on the cold, smooth and immaculate surface.

- Hi, No name .. 

He bent a little to sweep off the several little branches and leaves left by the rain and then took a few steps backwards and waited for his calves to bump into the wooden banch he knew was there. The sit was drenched, but it didn't matter at the moment, the shiver travelling his body was rather comforting. He brought up his knees against his chest and encircled them with his arms, eyes still focused straight forwards. He looked like a lost child waiting his parents to come to pick him up, harmless but wounded.

 

 

 

When he entered the hall of his building, the first thing he did was to take a look at the clock on the opposite wall, kindly hanged there by the caretaker for everyone to see when to and not to disturb him in his box. Almost 8 o'clock. Without having to be a genius, Hanbin rapidly understood that he stayed outside for about 10 hours, without his cellphone. If he thought Bobby wasn't going to scold him for Jinhwan's case, he certainly would for this one. The boss hated when people didn't answer his calls, but he was used to it. Already checking his pockets to find his aparment keys, he climbed up the three floors without any difficulties and thanked whoever for being, at least physically, a healthy 20 year-old man. However, he remembered he hadn't eaten anything since yesterday night and wondered if he still had some instant noodles in his cupboards, worrying about tomorrow school day.

Reaching his door, something made him stop right on his spot, one foot on the floor and the other still on the stairs.

- Why ..

The little man sitting engulfed in a warm coat in front of his apartment door lifted up his chin at the sound of his voice and his sleepy eyes started to sparkle with a vivid shade of .. frustration ? Before he could realize and regain his senses after the shock, a warm feeling spread in his chest and his visitor jumped on his feet to point an accusing finger.

- You ! You don't know since when I'm sitting in front of your shtty cold door ? I almost died of hypothermia  !

Oh right, his honey like voice.

- I went to check my apartment and came back here, but on my way, it suddenly started to rain like crazy, and now I stink like a wet dog !

Flowery fruity-scent.

Hanbin couldn't help but started to smile and drew closer to the whining cry baby, opening the door of his apartment to let the other enter. He kicked out his shoes and threw his jacket on the couch, his coathanger still broken, and then turned to face the smaller who was pouting, holding several plastic bags. After acknowledging Hanbin's questionning look, he answered almost guilty. 

- I also checked out your fridge because I was hungry this morning. It was emptier than my wallet so I went to the grocery shop on my way back ..

When the two of them reached the kitchen, Hanbin took the bag and started to store the different snacks, eyeing them at the same time.

- I tried to call you to ask you what you wanted but you didn't answer, so I picked what I like.

- You still drink strawberry milk ?

He asked, leaving the pink briquettes on the table. A cute blush colored the older's cheeks and he tried to avoid Hanbin's gaze by grabbing three packets of instant noodles that he bought and turning to face the cooker. The way he moved so naturally as if he was already used to Hanbin's appartment within two days really impressed the latter. The little man was full of surprise. Few hours ago, he was ready to kill him animated by a cold rage, but now that the culprit was right in front of him, he couldn't think of anything except the hole in his chest slowly being filled with radiant warmth.

- It's .. It's because I have a low sugar level in my blood, and weak bones.

The younger who was munching some chips almost chocked to the answer and elbowed the smaller, restraining a laugher.

- Don't lie, you make it worse .. And go take a shower, you really stink.

Blushing Jinhwan is really the cuttest thing he's ever seen.

 

 

 

Hanbin was sitting crosslegged on his bed, facing the older with a serious face. Jinhwan's damp fringe was still sticking a bit on his forehead and the younger reached out a hand to remove it. He didn't protest, only blinking and looking down while replacing his loose white tee on his shoulders. The silence was kind of relaxing, but Hanbin had a million questions burning the tip of his tongue.

- Why did you left without a word this morning ?

- I told you, I went to check my apartment .. I registered your number to call you after it, but you didn't answer. Your bad.

- Ok. I admit. Did anyone follow you ?

- Why would someone follow me ?

- .. No, forget it. It was a dumb question.

Jinhwan only raised his left eyebrow in respond but switched the subject subtly to the interesting part.

- Well .. Your turn now. Tell me about your nightmares.

He resisted the need to sigh and grab the little hands reached out for him, interwined their fingers and put them on top of his knees.

- I'm blinded by a white light and I hear voices without understanding what they're saying.

The feeling of always repeating himself was awfull.

- Go on, what do you do ? How do you feel ?

- I'm paralized and want to throw up. My skin is burning as if my blood is boiling, and even if I try to shout, nothing come out.

- Because your mouth is gagged ?

- I don't know, I can't feel it ..

- And ? Is it always the same nightmare, like a rewind everynight ?

- No, not really. The light and the voice are always here, but my body feels different.

- Do you feel as if you're .. hm .. tied ?

Talking to Jinhwan was easier than talking to Bobby, without a doubt. The older knew what he needed to know and asked precise questions, "No" and "Yes" were fair answers. During all the process, Jinhwan nodded lightly and squeezed Hanbin's hands to encourage him to continue. His speech was incoherent, confused, but it seemed to make sense in the other's mind and the younger couldn't feel more thankful. At the end of their talk, Jinhwan gave him a little peck on the lips, which surprised him, and let out a laugher.

- I felt like it, don't freak out .. ,he then retrieved his hands and stretched his body before dropping his back on the sheets. Let's sleep now !

- What ? And .. You haven't any comments to make on my nightmares ?

Jinhwan rolled to his sides to lay on his belly and looked at Hanbin with an unreadable expression.

- Not yet .. I want to be sure before telling you.