005

That night

He then tried to escape the strong grip on his ankle by kicking the stretched arm with his free foot, his heart was still racing like crazy in his chest and his blood kept on bouncing in his temples. He was more than vulnerable in this complete darkness where his agressor seemed to move so easily compared to him. The apartment was too quiet for what was going on. Thirty minutes had nearly elapsed from the very moment the other had turn into a crazy mess to now and all he wanted was to return back in time and take back what he said, or at least to get his pretty face out of this dangerously irreversible situation. Out of breath and bruises covering his entire body, he was scared to death. Everytime he'd succeded in doing a move, the effort would end up being useless because of those f.cking furniture he couldn't see, making him fall again and again under the hold of his host.

His ankle was finally released in a pained hiss and he jumped right on his feet, trying to find the exit door in a desperate attempt for the nth time. An angry groan coming from his right answered his move so he instinctively rushed to the left. Wrong idea again. His tibia bumped into the coffee table and he fell over it, head meeting the plushy couch that he knew was near the hallway where the door was. He thanked his unhealthy curiosity for once and made a mental map of the small room with the limited landmarks he had. It was now or never. If his memory wasn't deceiving him, his goal was less than five meters ahead on his right. Ignoring the pain in his legs, he rolled over the cushions to stand up and grabbed one, throwing it somewhere behind him and praying for it to baffle his hunter. His hands met the cold wall when he placed them in front of him and he quickly followed the path drawn by it. His eyes were useless at the moment but when his steps made him reach the hallway, they clearly saw a tiny dot of light in the dark ; the keyhole. His heart missed a beat as relief made its way to his mind and he ran to grab the door knob. Putting all his weight on it, he pushed the door .. But nothing happened.

His left hand came up to his face to sweep the tears rolling down his hot cheeks and he sniffed loudly. Screw it, really. A mocking laughter hit him from behind and he his heels as fast as he could. His brain was working two times faster with his will to survive. His last chance was the bathroom. Shooting in his own shoes in the hallway, he hardly made it to the bedroom without tripping over some things or bumping into another things. He tried his best to bother his pursuer by throwing various objects and pulling down others to obstruct the way behind him. But when his knees met the mattress and blocked him in the middle of the room, the door slammed harshly in his back. It was as if he had been locked in a cage with the most dangerous predator ever. Turning on his feet, he faced his enemy with both hands put in evidence, hoping he could calm him down or gain some time. He didn't want to give up, not when he was so close to saving his life. Slowly, he skirted the bed and stepped backward to the aimed door.

- Please Hanbin, don't .. I didn't want to-

- Shut the f.ck up and stop trying to escape. You're so done Kim Jinhwan.

With the slight light coming in through the thin curtains (why were they so thin in Hanbin's room by the way ?), he was clearly able to see the killing stare the younger was sending him. A shiver ran down his spine but he was only a few steps from the bathroom door now, so he played double or nothing. He took the chance and faced his back to Hanbin to stretch out his arm and push the door. Luckily for him, it swung open and he rushed inside before slamming it to Hanbin's face. He locked it while maintening it shut with his whole body and let out a sigh of relief when it stayed closed even when the other kicked it with all his might. 

- Don't play this game with me, open it or you'll regret it.

Hanbin's voice was so low and rough, it seemed to come from another person. He sure was more than furious, but he decided to ignore him. Jinhwan started shaking so hard that he had to let his body slid down the door and brought his knees to his chest, wrapping his arms around it to calm down a bit. His heartbeat was so messed up he felt like throwing up, heart ready to come out of his chest at any moment. The adrenaline was slowly dissiping and his limbs started to hurt, remembering him about his huge mistake, that he didn't know could become one.

 

 

He was kindly waiting for Hanbin to come out from the bathroom while sitting in the middle of the bed. Playing with his fingers since a little while, he started to feel bored so he rolled over the distance between him and the nightstand. Opening the first drawer, he found some red and white pills, random stuffs like post-it and pens, an engraved lighter and a pretty expensive watch. Nothing really interesting. The second drawer contained nothing but a thick photobook which picked his curiosity. He felt the urge to touch it and take a look but he wasn't sure about the amount of time left before Hanbin's return so he closed it and tried to open the third one. Had he already said that he had an obsessional curiosity ? At his surpise, it was locked and no key were to be seen. Just when he was straightening his upper body to sit back against the pillows after the deception, the bathroom door opened and Hanbin came out with a towel on his head.

- Why didn't you leave when I was taking a shower ? Do you really want to die ? He asked jokingly while drying his wet hair energetically.

- Maybe because the last thing I want to see is your handsomeness ?

- Wow, stop being cheesy, it's creepy .. It was fun last night but now, I feel like kicking you. 

Hanbin's laugh was really lovely, he thought, and it made him smile. Patting the place next to him, he waited for the younger to sit down and looked down to his hands, questions dying at the tip of his tongue.

- Can I ask you something ?

- You just did. Hanbin answered before the sweet laugh caressed his ears again. " But go on, I like talking to you. " He said as he rested his back on the wall, closing his eyes and completing a really seductive picture.

- Aren't you going to kill me ?

Silence grew between them and Jinhwan thought that Hanbin was back to sleep but a sigh proved him the contrary and he leaned next to the taller to hear the answer.

- It's more complicated than that, you know .. I may be a monster but I can't kill with my bare hands.

- You're not a monster, you're a vampire. Are you going to deny your identity like the ones in those sloppy romantical dramas ?

- Heh ? You're quite bold for someone who was nearly begging me to help him in the grip of that woman. If you could have seen your face back then, it was priceless ! But you're wrong, vampires don't exist, sorry for the disappointment, honey.

It was his turn to be startled. Who was he trying to fool ? He saw and heard it all ; red eyes, fangs, orders, mind reading, blood , and he was pretty sure those black curtains weren't useless or a simple whim, things to do with sunburn or something, right ?

- I know, I know. It's hard to believe but it's the truth. We .. We call ourselves Heirs. Every myths you know, about vampires, werewolves, sirens and others, they're about Heirs in fact. All of us have fangs, colored iris and are blood ers. We are specimens that need human blood to survive, but we don't need liters and liters as you can see in movies or read in books. Humans need to stop extrapolating everything, it's just stupid .. We only drink about a shot once a month, it just like doing a blood sample. Nobody had died from a blood sample from as far as I know. 

- Then, how come we don't know about your existence ? You're supposed to be a myth, as you said. And where does the blood come from ? You're trafficking blood banks stocks ?

It wasn't hard to believe Hanbin and listening to him telling their story was somehow fascinating, but he couldn't just sit and take it all without questionning himself about this and that. It was just Jinhwan being Jinhwan, the eternal curious kid.

- The more you know, the more you become exposed. Moreover, I'm not supposed to tell you this, especially when my job is to erase human's memories about us .. Hurry and go back to sleep so I can finish it quickly. Thank you for that night and for listening to my blathering. I'll send you back in your sweet world where Heirs are just a myth and where I'm just a y bartender in a hyped nightclub.

Jinhwan laughed in reply but when he realized he was having fun alone, he turned his head to look at Hanbin. The latter was facing him with a serious face, red starting to take over the soft brown of his iris. Fear was the word to define the strange feeling twisting his stomach, so he did the only thing he could do ; change the subject to distract the other. So he grabbed Hanbin arms and locked eyes with him, smiling gently.

- I heard you cry during your sleep. You also talked, and .. I analyzed it.

He searched in Hanbin's eyes any signs of resignation, or anything that could help him stop the incredible scenarios playing in his head, like the one where the younger rip his throat or the one where they end up cuddling again under the blankets. But nothing appeared, so he continued.

- It's my job you know, analyzing things people say and I think you need to let it go. You need to overcome this .. trauma.

The change in Hanbin's behavior took him by surprise. In a second, the other was on top of him, hands wrapped around his delicate injured throat. The holes on it due to the bite were still sore and feeling the rude grab on it made him arched in pain. Hanbin was trying to choke him to death, nails slightly digging in the fragile skin. His hands naturally came to hold the younger's wrists hoping it would stop the attack, but it only made the pain stronger and the lack of oxygen grew bigger. His vision became blurry and his hearing went off. Before he would completely lost it, he found the guts to hit the boy with his elbow and rolled to the side of the bed when the hands released his throat. And it was when the chase began.

 

 

Slowly regularizing his breath, he heard Hanbin's back thumping on the other side of the door, at the exact same place where he was sitting. He seemed to have calm down so the older felt a bit relieved. He wasn't going to die in the next minutes and it was a good new. They remained silent for a while, back to back against the door. The quietness became somehow relaxing after the rush of emotions. But then, Jinhwan heard it again, Hanbin's faint sobs.