ch. 3-4

save me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9pm. A half-empty cup. Sana knew what was coming.

Ring Ring.

“Hello?”

“Please, I’m in quite of a crisis a-and I need someone.” She was quite shocked that it wasn’t Momo. The voice seemed to belong to a young man. Perhaps she wouldn’t call back today?

“Alright, you called the right number for that. My name is Sana. You can talk to me, I’ll be here and help you.”

-

Sana leaned back in her chair and sighed softly, with a faint smile on her lips. While the callers’ situations and stories often saddened and really touched her, she couldn’t help but feel a sense of peace after a call ended well. It’s almost like all things turn out good at the end.

The phone rang again. She ran her hands through her hair and picked up.

“Hello?”

“Miss Sana?”

This time, it was definitely Momo.

“Yes, it’s me.”

“Ah, thank god. I mean, uh” She paused, “whatever. “

“How are you feeling?”

“I’ve been better. “

“ I know. But compared to yesterday. “ Sana would be lying to herself if she said that she didn’t wanted to go straight to the point and ask what happened to Momo last night. But she had to take it slow.

“Well…I don’t feel much of a difference. I’ve been practically sleeping all day. “

“Yet you sound so tired.”

“Really?”

“Yes. “

“How can you tell?”

“Your speech is kinda slurred and you talk very quietly.”

“I’m not tired.”

“Then have you been drinking?”

After a short pause, Momo answered. “You got me there.” Then, Sana could hear a small ‘gulp’ noise.

“Is this a regular habit of yours?”

“Not…really.”

“I see. Have you finished all the bottles at home?”

“I’m holding a half empty one.” She hummed. “But there are three more in the fridge.”

“Okay. Go get them.”

“What?” Momo sounded kinda shocked.

“I said go get them.”

“If you say so. Please don’t hang up.” With that said, Sana could hear the other walk away.

After a few minutes, she came back, with the mentioned bottles clinking in her hands. Before Momo could say anything, the young Japanese spoke.

“Alright. Now is there a place in your house that you can’t access?”

“Somebody else’s room.” . She shouldn’t have said that.

“Go place the rest of the bottles there.”

“I’ll try. Please don’t hang up.” And once again, Momo left the room. Soon after, she picked up the phone again.

“Are you still here?” Her voice was filled with doubt and, perhaps, worry and Sana could feel it.

“Of course I am. You don’t have to worry about it Momo, I won’t hang up on you. Also, you should probably prepare some painkillers for tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you.”

Sana waited a few seconds before continuing.

“When you said that you can put them in somebody else’s room. That means you live with someone, right?” Sana obviously knew the answer to this question. But she needed to hear it from Momo herself.

“I live with my aunt. “

“Then,” She hesitated. “was she the reason you had to hang up yesterday?”

Sana barely finished her sentence, Momo was already on the defensive.

“I didn’t say that.”

Then, the very first moments of silence of tonight.

“Please Momo. “ Sana sighed softly. “I want to help you, I really do. But you need to be honest with me. You know that I’m not here to judge you. Besides I barely know anything about you. You can talk to me.”

“Sorry.” The other girl mumbled. “I haven’t opened up to anyone in a long time so it’s hard.”

“I know. We’ll take it slow then.”

“Thank you.”

“Momo. About last night. “ Sana swallowed. “Did she hurt you?”

“No. Not this time.”

“Wai-“

“Ah ! I shouldn’t call when I’m drunk. “ She could hear Momo groan.

“Don’t hang up!” Even if she didn’t want to, Sana sounded like she was pleading her. “Please. I’m serious.”

After a short moment of silence, when Sana almost thought that there was no one at the oher end of the line, the girl spoke up.

“I’m here.”

“Okay. Okay. So if you don’t want to talk about her anymore just one last thing. Should I call the police if something like last night happens again?” She knew that the other would probably say no, but it could be worth a try.

“Not unless I start screaming.” The bitterness in her voice was unmistakable.

“She is that bad?..”

Silence.

Until Sana could hear small sobs from the phone.

“Sana. Do you know why do I keep calling?”

Because you need help.

“Tell me why.”

“Actually, I don’t even know.” Momo said between several sobs. Sana’s heart wrenched from hearing the other like this, thank god they weren’t actually face to face or she would’ve broken down too. “It’s strange but…I feel like when I’m talking to you, I’m disconnected from everything else a-and even for just an hour or so it makes me forget about her and them and all my problems…I don’t even know you but you’ve been more attentive to me than anyone else I’ve known for the past two years or so, even if I barely talk it means a lot and e-even if tomorrow I will forget t-that I told you this because I’m drunk, please…”

Sana’s mind went blank. She couldn’t think of anything, except concentrating on the girl’s shaky voice. She never really thought of this like that. She barely even noticed that her own eyes became teary at what she said.

“Please don’t leave me.”

“I’m here Momo. You don’t have to worry. I wont leave you.”

“Thank you. “ Sana could hear that she was calming down now. Her sobs became quitter, slowly being replaced

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter