ch. 1-2

save me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How much time has it been ? Two weeks? Three? About two and a half. Two and a half weeks since Sana volunteered to work at a suicide hotline. As someone who struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts before, Sana wanted to help other people with the same problems. So she did feel qualified for this job. Her caring personality also helped her during working times.

The young Japanese went to the university during the day, and worked at the hotline almost as soon as her courses ended. Juggling with her job and studies wasn't exactly the esiest thing and this gave her little free time for herself, but she was okay with it, as she always tends to put other people before her.

This day was no different from the others. She got out of the university, went to the local café next to the campus, and headed directly to the bus stop. Soon enough the said bus arrived, Sana got inside and put on her headphones, letting the music carry her away. The office wasn't too far. It took her about two songs to get there. She got off the bus, and as soon as she stepped outside, the slightly cold wind brushed across her hair. It actuall made her feel good.  It's not that she didn't like the warm temperature during summer,but after sitting in a room that was way too hot all day she didn't mind the breeze.

The small albeit welcoming office was the same as always. She greeted the six other employees before turning on the AC and settling down.

She barely got to sit down, the phone already rang.

-

After a short walk outside in the tiny park next to the office, Sana sat back down. She sighed quietly and wiped her forehead stained with beads of sweat. Her breath was shaky. Sometimes the calls really had an effect on her. To the point where she had to use all the muscles in her body to stop herself from crying. That didn't happen often, but it really impacted her.

9pm. 3 more hours to go. She can hold on.

Ring Ring.

She breathed in, and picked up the phone.

Silence.

“Hello?“ said Sana softly.

Silence, once again. The only thing that Sana could hear was someone’s heavy breathing that definitely wasn't her own.

“You can talk to me, you know. My name is Sana."

Still nothing from the other end of the line. At least for about 5 minutes. Sana sighed. This was probably a prank. She was near to hanging up. She was surprised when the other person spoke.

“Thank you, for, uh, listening."

And then they hung up.

The voice seemed to belong to a young woman. It sounded soft and a bit weak, almost childlike. This situation was quite puzzling. She's never received a call like that.

Sana hesitated to call back, but didn’t really have the time as the phone rang again.

-

9pm again. Sana’s mind wandered back to the girl who called yesterday. Would she call today? It was weird, but she hoped that yes.The unknown girl did sound like she needed help, but who was Sana to judge.

Just as the young woman was thinking about it, the phone rang.

“Hello?“

This time, she didn’t have to wait too long for an answer.

“S-sorry for hanging up like that yesterday, I didn’t want to make you worried or make you think that I’ve-- “ she paused.

It was the girl from yesterday. Sana recognized it. The voice seemed weirdly calm. And this time, the woman wasn’t crying. Sana's answer came quickly. She was kinda thankful that she called, Sana was worried about what happened to her

“Hey, don’t be sorry, you did nothing wrong. I understand that you situation might be kind of scary. You can hang up as many times as you want until you feel comfortable. I’m here to listen. "

“ Okay."

Silence again. For a few minutes. But Sana couldn’t hang up. It would be contrary to her previous statement.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Sana heard the voice sigh softly.

“I’m scared.”

“And why is that?"

“I’m scared to be hurt again. I-I’ve had enough.“ The seemingly calm voice was now shaking, just like yesterday.

“Who is hurting you?" Sana rose her brow.

“A few people." The girlsaid, matter of factly.

“Do you see those people often?” Yes, working on a solution would be the best, thought Sana.

“Yes. Everyday.” The girl paused again. “I can’t avoid them.“ At this point, the Japanese girl could practically hear the other holding back her tears. Even if Sana didn't know her, hearing someone in such a state tugged at her heartstrings. It also filled her with anger in some kind of way, knowing that some people are sick enough to make someone feel like that.

“Do you want to talk about what they do to you or who they are? Perhaps we could think of ways to avoid them.“ Sana asked carefully.

Silence.

Then after a while,

“No.“

“Mmmhm. In this case, do you have a place that makes you happy? And where you don’t have to see those people, of course.“

No answer. But Sana waited as long as the other needed. Eventually, the voice would speak again. She could hear the other humming softly, thinking of a place like that.

“The dance studio.“ 

“Oh! You’re a dancer? “ That’s so cool, Sana thought for a second.

The girl seemed to hesitate for a second.

“Uh, I was.“

Was? Did she stop dancing alltogether? 

“I see. You should go to the dance studio then. Try to stay there as long as you can. It could help lift your mind off your current problems. Even for a little while.“

"I’ll try to.”

“Can you tell me why you stopped being a dancer?“ Maybe she shouldn’t have asked this. But Sana just wanted to help. Find the roots of the problem and do as much as she can to erase or at least lighten it better.

“I don’t want to tell you."

“That’s okay.“ Sana said softly. It bugged her a little, but she understood. Confessing about all your private life to a stranger wasn't exactly easy.

Silence. Again.

“How was your day?“ Sana decided to go freelance.

“What?“

“How was your day.” She repeated. “ If anything bad happened, it could help you to talk about it a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter