Chapter 11

Don't Wanna Cry

Warning: There's some cursing in this chapter...


 

It had officially been 3 months since the accident and Seungcheol was doing remarkably well with his recovery. Through pure determination and painfully hard work, the leader had managed to regain enough strength in his muscles to balance himself up while also improving his coordination and his physical therapist was now confident that with a little more practice, Seungcheol may be able to get out of bed independently and the professional had even changed up Seungcheol's program just to keep up with his progress. 

Jeonghan was thrilled when Seunggil had told him the news because he knew how much it was bothering Seungcheol that the other had to rely on everyone for the simplest of tasks. So hearing that the older boy would finally be able to at least move around freely even for a few moments was such a relief to hear.

Jeonghan had wanted to go down to Daegu and celebrate with Seungcheol in person but whenever he thought he would make a visit, more times than not he stopped himself. At first he had blamed it on his schedules, telling himself that he didn't have the time. But after denying request after request from s to join them on a trip to Seungcheol's home, Jeonghan had to admit to himself that Ara's words had bothered him more than he thought it would. 

It's not that he felt intimidated by the girl, in fact he was pretty sure he that could crush her in anything if he really wanted to challenge her, but it was more to do with the fact that he didn't like conflict or tension. It was unnecessary in his eyes and he wasn't the type of person who could be easily provoked into something as draining as a fight, especially if it was for such a petty reason like Ara's. The way Jeonghan saw it, she wasn't worth his time so it would be better for him to keep his distance from the crazy girl and have nothing to do with her. As much as he wanted to put her in her place he also knew that despite her awful personality, Seungcheol still considered her as a friend. And as long as Seungcheol was okay with the her being around him, then Jeonghan wouldn't make things difficult by starting something. He promised himself that he would only confront her if the girl ever made the mistake of trying to mess with his precious members. If she even dared to do that, then Jeonghan saw no reason to hold back.

But unless she crossed that line, Jeonghan decided to sit on the side lines and just be there for Seungcheol the best he could without getting in Ara's way. He still Skyped the other regularly but even then, Ara would find some way to interrupt those few minutes that he got to talk to the other. Whether it was for food or "helping" him with his muscle exercises or even just nagging him to spend time with her, she always managed to find a way to disturb them and Jeonghan knew that it was all done on purpose. It was beyond annoying and Jeonghan had to repress a look of disgust every time he heard the girl's voice come through the speakers of his computer. It was frustrating and more than off-putting to see her be so clingy towards Seungcheol but Jeonghan kept his mouth shut for the sake of Seungcheol's happiness. If the other wasn't bothered by her annoying acts and even smiled whenever she was in the room then Jeonghan felt like he had no right to say anything. No matter how much he wanted to call her out on her gag-worthy aegyo and her desperate and pathetic attempts to get Seungcheol to notice her, he would remain silent. It was hard, but Jeonghan was somehow able to keep his cool and not say anything about her. Besides, it was all for Seungcheol and that was all that mattered.

And that's how things carried on like that for days. Jeonghan would barely visit even if he did have a free day and when he did, he had to hold himself back and act like the bigger person against Ara's cold treatment. And when things got a little too much for him to handle, he would just excuse himself from the situation and hang out with one of the other Choi's in the house until it was time to leave. Seungcheol was none the wiser and Jeonghan decided to keep it that way. The other was more focused on his exercises, especially since he was so close to starting on the balance bars that would eventually help him to walk again and he shouldn't have to worry about Jeonghan's issue with his old school friend.

However, Jeonghan's passive attitude towards Ara suddenly changed when at the end of the week, s had dragged him into their dorm living room and shared their common dislike towards the girl.

"She's a ! A rude !" Seungkwan declared without any hesitation.

"Hey, language!" Joshua said, not liking his dongsaeng using such vulgar language.

"Shut up Hong! You were thinking the exact same thing about that...that....wench! That's what she is! She's a wench and she's trying to steal our precious leader away with her grimy little hands!" Seungkwan continued, pacing around the living room and flinging his arms around, putting on a full performance of his anger.

"....he's being a little dramatic but I agree. I don't like her and I hate her constantly being around Cheol." Wonwoo chimed in.

"...What did she do? Did she say anything to you guys?" Jeonghan asked, feeling rather protective over s.

"Are you seriously asking that question?" Woozi said, sounding offended that Jeonghan even had to ask. "She never let's us spend time with Seungcheol! She completely ignores us and deliberately tries to push us out whenever we even get close to Seungcheol and when she does acknowledge our existence, she treats us like crap. She even insulted my music! I don't think I've ever wanted to smash my guitar into something more than her fake stupid smile."

"Plus, she's pushy and she never let's us help out Seungcheol when he needs it." - Dokyeom

"She's also clingy and demanding towards him." - Vernon

"Bratty. Very bratty." - Jun

"And mean." - Hoshi

"And don't even get me started on how she acts towards you!" Seungkwan said. Jeonghan wanted to deny it, not wanting s to get angry on his behalf but the lead singer didn't give him a change. "You think we haven't noticed? How she's always giving you these death glares and refuses to let you be alone with Seungcheol. How she always speaks for Seungcheol and denies your help towards him. It's clear as day that she hates you! And for no reason too!"

"Not to mention, she threatened you." Mingyu said quietly. Everyone was shocked at that piece of information and it took a second for them to fully process it.

"SHE WHAT?!" They all said in unison.

"When?" Joshua asked, slightly glaring at Jeonghan for not sharing that with him.

"She really threatened you? Hyung, let me fight her!" Minghao said.

"Me too! No one talks to you like that!" Dino said right after.

"No one is fighting anyone! And Mingyu, how did you find that out?" Jeonghan said, having to stop this before s could make any plans go on a man hunt for Ara.

"Mrs. Choi likes to gossip. It was a couple of days ago and I was helping her out in the kitchen. She was upset that you hadn't shown up in a while and she started blaming Ara for that...then she told me that she overheard a conversation between the two of you and that Ara had said some terrible things to you. Just so you know, Mrs. Choi doesn't like her anymore either." Mingyu confessed, looking slightly guilty.

Jeonghan felt touched that Seungcheol's mother liked him that much but he also felt a little resentful towards her for sharing that with his dongsaeng. He had purposely kept that bit to himself because he knew s would prepare to start a fight, much like they were doing right now.

"What did she tell you?" Joshua asked calmly.

"Mrs. Choi said that-" Mingyu tried when they all saw that Jeonghan wasn't answering the question but he was cut off by Joshua's glare.

"No. I want to hear it from Jeonghan." And then Joshua turned to face his 95line friend. "Now, what did Ara say to you?"

Jeonghan sighed, knowing it was useless to try and avoid Joshua's question. "She told me to back off. That I was ruining her chances with Seungcheol or something like that. It's really nothing to worry about, I promise."

"How can I not worry when I just found out that some random girl threatened by best friend and she's trying to come between our group. She's obviously not a good person and she needs to go." Joshua with more anger added into his voice with every word. It was rare to see the American boy so riled up but it was clear that he was more than upset about how Ara was treating his friends.

"Also, ruin what chances? Does she seriously think she can be in a relationship with our Seungcheol hyung? Like hell we would let that happen!" Seungkwan said, looking repulsed by the thought of Ara and Seungcheol being together in that kind of way.

"Right? She's doesn't deserve him!" Vernon added.

"I agree, she's selfish and she clearly doesn't care for Seungcheol like she claims." Jun stated.

"Besides, hyung already likes y-" But Mingyu was kicked by Woozi before he could finish what he was about to say.

"It doesn't matter what we think. Seungcheol still thinks of her as a friend and for some strange reason he enjoys her being around so it would be wrong for us to ruin their friendship." Jeonghan said, not liking it but knowing that was the truth.

"But Jeonghan hyung! She was mean to us and she won't let us near Seungcheol!" Hoshi said.

"And I'll deal with her for that. If she thinks she has a chance with Cheol then she can try all she wants. But she crossed the line thinking she can act like that with all of you." Jeonghan said with a determined look on his face. "No one messes with my kids."

 

 

It was another week and a half before Jeonghan found himself in front of the Choi's house. This time the singer had come alone, taking one of the company vans and driving to Daegu with one purpose. He knocked on the front door of Seungcheol's house and waited for someone to let him in and as soon as he was inside he quickly greeted them and went straight to Seungcheol's room, not surprised to find Ara there with the injured boy. They were laughing while Ara held a bowl of soup in her lap, probably trying to feed the older boy in an attempt to look caring and cute.

Jeonghan wanted to gag but stopped himself from doing so. He knocked on the wall to get their attention and Seungcheol's face lit up while Ara looked overly annoyed.

"Angel! You came!" Seungcheol said happily, looking much like an excited puppy.

Jeonghan saw Ara's face drop at hearing Seungcheol say his nickname and smirked. That's right. I'm his angel.

"I'm so sorry Cheol! I've just been so busy with schedules and whatnot. You know how Pledis can be." Jeonghan said, more than happy to start a conversation that Ara could take no part in since the girl had no clue about an idol's life.

"They're not overworking you, are they? Because if they are, then let me talk to them! I won't let them push you around!" Seungcheol said, suddenly sounding worried and protective and looking every bit like a leader. It warmed Jeonghan's heart to see the care in the other's eyes but he quickly brushed it off, not wanting Seungcheol to be worked up over something that he really shouldn't be worrying about while he was recovering.

"It's nothing Cheol, just the usual stuff with broadcasts and practices. Nothing I can't handle." Jeonghan replied with a big smile.

"So if you're fine then you shouldn't be bothering Cheollie with these things! You know he shouldn't be too stressed but here you have him worrying about your problems." Ara said with anger in her voice. From the outside, one would think that she was genuinely concerned for Seungcheol's wellbeing but Jeonghan knew she was more pissed off at the fact that Seungcheol was currently more focused on him rather than herself.

"I share my problems with him because I know that he cares. I'm sorry, does Seungcheol not care enough about you to listen to your problems?" Jeonghan replied with a little more attitude then he had intended.

"How dare you! Cheollie does care about me!" Ara said, fuming at this point.

Seungcheol just stared at the two from his bed and let out an awkward laugh. "Hey, come on you guys. Let's not fight. Both of you are important to me so let's not argue over something so silly."

"It's not silly!" Both Ara and Jeonghan said at the same time, glaring at each other. Although they both realized the mistake of their little out lash when Seungcheol's eyes began to water.

", I'm so sorry Cheol. I didn't mean to yell at you!" Jeonghan said, immediately at the other's side.

", I hate that I'm so emotional these days. It's just so frustrating being like this with my head injury and all the bull side effects that I have to deal with and the last thing I need is for the 2 of you arguing in front of me." Seungcheol said, trying to wipe his eyes.

"I know and I'm so sorry. I should be helping you out and here I am doing the exact opposite of that. I'm so sorry Cheol." Jeonghan said softly while Seungcheol's hair.

"This is why you shouldn't have come! Look at what you did!" Ara said, sitting on Seungcheol's other side.

"What I did? You're the one that started this as soon as I walked inside the room!" Jeonghan retaliated. 

"Because you were stressing out Cheollie! And now you made him cry!"

"Hey! I wasn't the only one that-"

"Both of you get out!" Seungcheol said, raising his voice and startling the other two.

"But Cheollie!" Ara whined.

"I don't care what either of you have to say. The two of you ing and yelling at each other is hurting my ears and you're giving me a major headache. So will you kindly do me the favor of getting out and leaving me alone for a while?!" Seungcheol shouted with anger written all over his face. 

Jeonghan knew better than to upset the other even further so he complied and slowly left the room with Ara following behind him. He shut the door to the bedroom and not a second later, Ara was standing with her arms crossed in front of him, giving him her best death glare.

"This is exactly what I meant! You just ruined everything! Cheollie and I were perfectly happy until you came inside the room!" She said in a loud whisper, failing horribly at keeping her voice down. 

"Oh please" Jeonghan couldn't help but to scoff. "You guys were just talking before I came in and if I know Seungcheol then he was just being his polite self. You guys weren't having any special moment no matter how much you want to believe that in your delusional little head." Ara looked offended but Jeonghan didn't give her a chance to respond. "And besides, as much as you think I'm here to sabotage your little seduction plan, that's not why I'm here...You and I need to talk."

Jeonghan then grabbed Ara by her wrist and pulled her into an empty bedroom before making sure to shut the door. 

She yanked her wrist out of his grip and stood in the center of the room, look at Jeonghan like he was dirt. "What?" She asked with an attitude.

"I've been staying out of your way just like you asked and I've been dealing with your bull without saying anything. It pissed me off but I could deal with it. What I can't deal with is you mistreating my members. They told me what a you've been towards them and I'm here to tell you to back off!"

"Don't tell me what I can and cannot do! I've been doing my best to rebuild mine and Cheollie's relationship and you and your group of misfits have just been getting in the way! If it weren't for all of you then I would've already had Seungcheol!"

"I hate to break it to you sweetheart but if you can't accept Seventeen, then Seungcheol would never want to be with you."

"Oh I already know that. For some reason, you guys are a big part of Seungcheol's life. He makes that clear every single day and it's goddamn annoying! Half the time I really want him to shut up about you guys and just focus on me."

"So if you know how much we mean to him then why are you such a to us?"

"Because I want Seungcheol for myself! He was mine to begin with but he's been so preoccupied with playing 'leader of Seventeen' that he forgot how much I mean to him. I'm just trying to make things right again and if that means faking around him and pretending to play nurse with him then so be it! I'll do whatever it takes to make him mine!"

"Seungcheol is not an object to own! He has feelings and dreams and he has so many people that he cares about and he does so much for them. He is more than anyone deserves and you're just reducing him down to a pretty boy to be owned. He needs someone who is selfless and who will love him unconditionally and I really don't think that's you."

"Don't act like I'm the only one who's possessive over him. I've seen the way you look at him! And I've seen enough Seventeen content to know how you feel about him! You just want Seungcheol to yourself!" Ara said, not backing down.

Jeonghan was truly confused after hearing what the girl had just implied. "What are you....Seungcheol and I are not like that! We're just friends and whatever you see on screen is purely fanservice! We just work well together and that's why we're comfortable enough to be that close with each other."

"Sure...and I guess the heart eyes Seungcheol sends your way and all the hand holding and cuddling means nothing too."

Jeonghan knew trying to convince her otherwise would just be a waste of breath so he decided to drop it, reminding her of the real reason why he wanted to talk to her. "Look, you can think what you want about me and Cheol but I really don't care. What I do care about is how you've been treating my members. If I find out that you're still being a to them even after I've told you not to then I will not hesitate to ruin any chance you think you might have with Seungcheol. And you and I both know he'll listen to whatever I have to say so do not test me."

Ara didn't say anything and Jeonghan knew she was scared by his threat which caused him to smirk. "Good. Now like I said, back off from my members! I won't tell you that again."

She then left the room, purposely bumping into he shoulder as she passed and a few moments later Jeonghan could hear the front door being slammed shut. Jeonghan sighed knowing that the wench (as Seungkwan had so kindly named her) had left. Jeonghan thought about leaving himself but told himself he could stay a little longer before heading back home. He went down stairs and watched a few episodes of some drama with Mrs. Choi before he decided to try his luck with Seungcheol again in a few hours.

 

 

Jeonghan came into Seungcheol's room with a bowl of porridge as a peace offering and gently laid it on the bedside table before he looked at Seungcheol with nervous eyes. The other was lying down on his side, facing away from Jeonghan and the younger boy knew that Seungcheol was still mad at him. The only bit of reassurance Jeonghan had was the fact that Seungcheol didn't tell him to leave the room as soon as he had come in and so Jeonghan sighed and slowly took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Cheol....Cheol, will you look at me?" But Seungcheol stubbornly stayed facing away from the other. Jeonghan, being quite stubborn himself, tried again. "Coups, I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to upset you. You know that's the last thing I want."

When Seungcheol continued to face away from him, Jeonghan felt his heart drop. He was about to get up and leave when heard Seungcheol take a deep breath.

"I hated seeing the two of you argue like that. It was so childish and it made me feel awful because you were arguing over who I cared about.....I care about both of you and I don't want you guys to fight over something so petty."

"But Seungch-"

"And I don't want to hear any excuses either. I already feel useless being the way I am right now and you guys aren't helping by constantly being at each other's throats. Don't think I haven't noticed the tension between you two. And it because you both mean so much to me." Seungcheol then pulled himself up into a sitting position on his bed. "Angel, I really hate being angry with you but I also hate seeing you act the way you did with Ara. Can you please promise me to at least try to get along with her?"

Jeonghan didn't like it but if it meant that Seungcheol would stop being angry with him then he would try. "Okay. I promise that I'll try. I'm not saying that now I'll be best friends with her but I can at least try to be civil with her."

"You're the best, angel!" Seungcheol said as he broke into one of his signature smiles, dimples and all, and Jeonghan couldn't help but smile back. 

"Well duh" Jeonghan joked. "Now eat your porridge and then go to sleep! You need to rest in order to do well with your exercises!"

"Will you feed me?" Seungcheol asked like a little kid. Jeonghan thought Seungcheol would've wanted to feed himself since he had proven to have enough strength to do so but the older boy looked too cute asking his request that Jeonghan found it hard to say no. So Jeonghan sat closer to the injured boy and slowly fed him the porridge, giggling whenever some would drop before wiping it away. He did this for a while, just staring fondly at Seungcheol before a thought came in his head.

"Cheol, you've really been doing well these past few weeks, haven't you?"

"What makes you say that."

"You were able to sit up on the bed just now without any assistance. A few weeks ago I couldn't have even imagined that happening so soon. I'm so proud of you."

"Well I have a lot of things motivating me to get better."

"Like what?"

"Like my friends, family, Seventeen, Carats....You." Jeonghan blushed and playfully smacked Seungcheol's arm. "It's true. Seeing you have so much faith in me makes me want to get better faster. I really can't wait to be back with the group." Seungcheol said truthfully.

"We can't wait for you to come back either, Cheol." 

They were both smiling at each other when Jeonghan did something they both were not expecting. Very shyly, the younger boy had leaned in and gave Seungcheol a light kiss on his cheek. Seungcheol looked shocked for a second but then he broke out into another large smile. Seungcheol looked like he was glowing and Jeonghan was sure he looked the same himself.

Both the boys then carried on with meaningless conversations, just enjoying each other's company when it finally reached close to 8 o'clock and Seungcheol was beginning to get tired. Jeonghan knew he would have to leave soon but right now he was currently lying on his side next to Seungcheol as he watched the other slowly fall asleep and he decided that he could stay a few more minutes. Jeonghan absentmindedly fiddled with Seungcheol's hair as he watched the soft features of his leader's face and he felt a small blush creep up on his face because when did Seungcheol become so cute? Jeonghan let his mind run and he concluded that the older was also incredibly handsome and reliable. Strong and caring. Everything Jeonghan looked for in another, if he was being honest, and without thinking he found himself placing the lightest of kisses on the sleeping boy's cheek, just on the corner of his mouth.

Jeonghan pulled back immediately after realizing what he had done. His heart was pounding against his chest and he felt all the blood in his body rush to his face which caused his entire face to turn a bright red. What had he just done?

He quickly left the room after that, saying a quick goodbye to the Choi's before he got inside the company van. As he raced home, he only had one thought going through his mind.

I like Seungcheol....

I really like Seungcheol.

 


A/N: Our Jeonghannie finally realized his feelings for Seungcheol!! LOL This chapter was so much fun to write! I really hope you guys enjoyed it and please be sure to comment!!