-10-

A New Him

“Ya, Eunwoo! I know something seems off with you. What’s wrong with you? Are you not feeling well?” you asked while trying to check his body temperature.

He slapped away your hand. It hurt. A lot. The look in his eye showed deep irritation.

“Go away,” was what he said before continued to walk again.

“I’m so going to follow you until you tell me why you’re so cold today!”

 

With that, you did as you said. Eunwoo didn’t say anything and walked as if you weren’t there.

Suddenly, you felt heat ran down your cheeks. It got worse when you blinked your eyes. You knew you’re now crying and your tears didn’t show any sign of stopping. That’s it.

No longer able to keep following him, you turned around to go to where you were supposed to.

You sobbed, though you hated it. You had a battle with yourself not to let out any sobbing sound, but you weren’t able to. Weak. That was exactly what you were.

Quick steps approaching you and before you knew it, Eunwoo grabbed your arm and slammed you to the wall. It was embarassing to be witnessed by anyone right there, you thought while still pondering about what was happening. Fortunately, there was no one around at that time.

 

“Why are you crying?!” Eunwoo asked angrily.

 

You had no words to answer him. Why else would you cry if not because of him treating you that way.

 

“You think you have the right to cry? Does it hurt being treated like that?”

This time he trapped you leaving no space for you to escape.

His face was too close to yours. The smell of alcohol was strong. He was indeed drunk.

 

“Eunwoo, you’re drunk. Let me take you home,” you said, trying to get out of the situation.

 

“Then what?!”

“You’re gonna leave me again? Then come back pretending as if nothing happened?”

“Who do you think you are?”

“Eunwoo, listen to me please,”

“No,”

“You, listen to me,”

“I’m not going to let you disappear again,”

 

You went blank.

Not because of his words.

His lips. They were already on yours before you could say anything.

Your heart skipped a bit and you somehow felt butterflies in your stomach, but wasn’t for long cause Eunwoo retreated from you.

 

“I liked you. No,…”

“I still like you, but knowing you had left two years ago from someone else, I guess you never considered me as a friend and will never like me back,”

“Good to see you again. But I think I won’t be able to make you stay, so let’s not see each other again.”

He said those with a pained smile and left you.

 

That night you couldn’t go to sleep, kept on thinking of what had happened earlier with Eunwoo. You began to feel guilty. You knew it was your fault for not telling anybody including him. Childish. Yes, what you did was childish and now you regretted it. Eunwoo out of all the people, actually been hurt the most. You never thought he would have feelings for you.

 

In the morning, you got ready and went out without having breakfast with Jiho. That was how sincere you were to meet Eunwoo and apologize to him. You wanted to settle everything nicely between you two. You arrived at his doorstep and were taken aback. You were sure it was the right house but you also heard a baby crying inside. The voice in your head said to leave right away, but your heart said “just ring the doorbell”. No matter what the consequences would be, you chose to trust your heart. You reminded yourself that your most priority right now was to make peace.

 

A woman around your age came out not long after you rang the bell. The baby had stopped crying in her arms.

 

“Yes miss, what can I help you?” she smiled at you.

“Sorry to disturb your morning. Is Eunwoo here?” you smiled uncomfortably to her.

“Eunwoo? There’s no one with that name here,”

Looking at your dissapointed face, she continued,

“Ahhh, I guess he used to live here. Sorry miss, but I just moved here a year ago.”

“Oh, I’m really sorry,”

“It’s okay. Things like this happen sometime. I don’t know who you are, but… good luck in finding him.” she gave you a big encouragement, and her baby too.

The baby chuckled out of the blue. You thought to yourself, it might be a good sign, or at least it would work to lessen your life’s bitterness.

 

Now came the problem. You didn’t know where Eunwoo lived, so you wandered around the neighbourhood aimlessly, hoping he might be in one of the houses. You were that miserable that you couldn’t think straight to resolve the problem until you unnecessarily surprised by a call from your brother. He asked your wherabouts since you didn’t wake him up before leaving that morning. Once the call ended, you quickly dialed Binnie’s number.

“Where is Eunwoo living?”

“Noona… this is too early…why can’t y..”

 

You cut him short and said it was urgent. Seriously that kid was just trying to waste your time. Good thing he knew he better give you Eunwoo’s address after putting the puzzle pieces together - you and Eunwoo were indifferent last night, Eunwoo drank too much, and now you’re asking for him the first thing in the morning.