-3-

A New Him

Unlike other days, today you walked and took a bus to your university. The weather was very pleasant. You did the same to go home but it was already late in the evening. Stepped down from the bus, you walked through the alley towards your house. From afar you could see a guy’s figure ahead of you, so you thought that must be the newly moved-in person. You didn’t know what had gotten into you that made you felt curious to know how that person looks like, so you tried to catch the person’s steps, overpassed him and steal a look.

 

Two meters away from him, you stopped in your track. His bagpack looked similar to Eunwoo’s which shocked you. You also saw a delivery girl on a bike coming down the hilly alley and you also saw the guy kicking a rock towards her direction, accidentally. Seeing what he did, the girl stopped in panic to avoid the rock from hitting the rolling wheel. The girl grunted a little on how careless he was but what he said to her just proved you that he was indeed Eunwoo. You felt bad for the girl.

 

You were about to go when the girl went away before you were definitely sure your name just being called.

 

“Are you following me?” he gave you a curious look.

“No.”

“So?”

“I’m just using the same path as you,”

“Just admit it that you’re stalking me cause nobody can resist my charm,” he said while smirking.

“Whatever you want to believe. I better hurry to be home and finish our assignment. Bye.”

And with that, you left and Eunwoo kinda got the idea you’re actually living nearby.

 

That night of the same day, Eunwoo was on his bed thinking of ways to get close to you. He wanted to befriend you, instead of making you the victim of his sick manners and behaviors. He thought it’d be cool to know you more since no girls had ever rejected his flirts and no one ever talked back to him when he said something. The sight of his phone on the study table made him took the phone and started texting you.

 

You were halfway done compiling the works after two hours of editing a bit here and there when your phone rang. It was your brother asking if you wanted him to buy a take-away for you which you definitely wouldn’t reject such nice gesture of him. You spent more than 5 minutes on the call since your brother kept on holding the call as he was ordering the food. He wasn’t good at remembering things you want, but it’s different to when remembering your grave mistakes. You sighed at him.

 

You checked your phone before proceeding with your work and realized there were 10 unread texts from Eunwoo alone.

 

“Jina, hey”

“You ok with the work?”

“Shall we meet tomorrow to see the progress?”

“Why are you ignoring me?”

“Hey”

“Hey”

“I’m asking you”

“Are you still alive?”

“Are you dead?”

“.……”

 

For you, that was unbelievable of him. Truly annoying.

 

“Are you mad? And what with the sudden meeting?”

“I’ve done half. So by tomorrow maybe it’s been finished.”

“What took you so long to reply?”

“Replying a text ain’t necessary as ensuring this assignment is done”

“-.-”

“See you tomorrow at the cafe near my house”

“Ok”

 

 

The next day, you two met at the restaurant. You showed him the completed assignment and both of you agreed that it was ready to be submitted. While waiting for the food to come, you talked to him.

 

“Why are you so rude and bad?”

“Why you ask?”

“Cause you’re pretty good in studies and in the term of look,” you said as a matter of fact.

“Maybe because it’s fun,”

“Be nice to people and they’ll be nice to you,”

“They are always nice to me,”

“It’s because they are scared of you, but behind your back that say bad things about you,”

“Why do you care about me?”

“I have humanity in me to help a jerk like you,” you said half-jokingly.

“You’re so mean,” he said before he took a bite of the newly served food, angrily.

“You’re meaner,” you stuck your tongue.

 

The more you talked to him, the more you knew him, and you noticed that he wasn’t as bad as people always thought. You two grew friendly and during class you could always count on him if you didn’t understand something. He’s a smart student even though he rarely paid attention during lectures.