Scene 4

Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Ellie almost feared going to class.   The anticipation she felt at being in the same room with Jae, who was clearly unpredictable, was so high that it felt like fear. He could say something else to her, or he could completely ignore her, as if the previous encounter hadn’t happened; there was no telling, and she couldn’t stop obsessing over it.   She was wary as she entered the classroom, but Jae was nowhere to be found; she took advantage of the moment and headed straight back to her desk, hoping that the class would begin and end without any potential problems. He was late again, which she found amusing, considering how close to the room they both had been, and what he had said to her before he left. There hadn’t been any time for him to notice her in her corner when he arrived, though; they were beginning a film on Mozart and started almost as soon as class time began in an effort to make the most of their time, leaving him with no choice but to settle in quietly with the rest of them. Ellie could only partially pay attention to the movie, as hard as she tried; her attention kept drifting to her phone, and then her notebook as time went on. Thirty minutes into the movie and the class period and Ellie had completely given up on trying to pay attention, finding that time went by a lot faster if she spent it writing.   “Ooh, I’ma tell.”   Ellie froze, her pen stopped mid , as the voice appeared right at her elbow. She turned slowly to look to her left and leaned back a little, startled, as her eyes met Jae’s; he was squatting on the floor next to her, one arm draped across the empty desk next to her, the other across the back of her chair. She was trying to figure out when he had moved; a quick sweep of the room told her that no one was paying attention to them, not even Dr. Barkley, who was more engrossed in the movie than anyone else there. Surely they had seen his big, lean frame move across the room; odds were that they just didn’t care.   “Still writing?” he observed, standing up and moving to sit in the empty desk beside her.   “Um, yeah,” Ellie responded quietly, nodding as she returned her attention to her notebook. There was quiet between them for a while, though Ellie could hear the embarrassing racing of her heart in her chest.   “…You don’t talk much,” he observed suddenly, compelling her to look up at him; he sat reclining in the desk, his chin slowly.   “What?”   “You don’t talk much,” Jae repeated immediately. “Or maybe you just don’t talk in school.”   “What are you talking about?”   “You, obviously.” Jae shook his head and lowered his gaze gravely. “That only means one thing.”   She was almost afraid to ask. “…What?”   “You have to go out to eat with me.”  
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter