Scene 17

Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
It turned out to be more than just any old weekend that Jae needed. The Borderless festival was actually during the week, and he wanted to steal away to San Francisco the weekend before, when his bandmates wouldn’t be around. Any nervousness Ellie had been feeling doubled when he finally revealed this detail of his plan; it wasn’t like she hadn’t spent the night at his house before, but there was something…suggestive about sharing a hotel room with your boyfriend for an entire weekend alone – she could only hope not to make a fool of herself.   Jae was already a step ahead of her and her worries; when they arrived at SFO and made the trip into San Francisco he informed her that he had taken it upon himself to book two hotel rooms for the trip – the amount of relief that Ellie felt was embarrassing, to say the least. To her surprise he had put them in the Intercontinental for the duration of the trip; Ellie looked from him to the building and back again repeatedly, her eyebrows raised. Jae paused as he hoisted his backpack onto his shoulder, raising his own eyebrows as he looked back at her.   “What?”   “The Intercontinental?” Jae kissed his teeth.   “Quit acting like you’ve never been anywhere, girl.” Ellie rolled her eyes.   “It’s not exactly the Venetian, but this is certainly a nice gesture.”   “I wish I could say this was all me, but Borderless picked the hotel,” Jae admitted, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. “I just added a couple of days to it.”   “A feat in itself.” In a moment of candidness she reached up on tiptoe to place a kiss on his cheek, placing her hand on his shoulder. “Very cool of you, Mr. Park.”   “Damn, I get all that?” Jae said with a laugh, though the skin behind his ears was turning red, to her amusement. “I’ma have to start booking rooms more often.” It didn’t take long for them to get set up with their rooms; Ellie was able to be impressed by her surroundings in peace for a while, and even got a chance to sit down and change into fresh clothes before Jae was back at her door and ready to go.   “Come on, let’s go; there’s a place I want to show you,” he said immediately, bypassing a greeting as soon as she opened the door; he had changed into new clothes himself, now in a hoodie under a green bomber jacket and jeans, a burgundy knit cap sitting on his blue head. Ellie put her hands on her hips.   “Oh, I don’t get to put on makeup?”   “Please, it’s not a date.” He walked past her into the room and paused for a moment before heading straight over to her purse on the coffee table and slinging it onto his shoulder. “I’ve seen how you look without makeup; who else are you trying to impress?”   “I could still be trying to impress you, genius,” Ellie retorted. “Did you ever stop to consider that?”   “We’re practically married,” Jae shot back with a dismissive face. “Now come on; let’s go.”   She wasn’t surprised when they reached the destination that Jae had in mind; if he had taken her to any other place, that would have been the surprise. Amoeba Music, according to Jae, was the world’s largest independent music store, and Ellie could see why when they walked into the retro styled building; for as far as the eye could see there were rows upon rows of CDs, DVDs and records – she knew that, for someone like Jae, this was a gigantic candy store – kind of the way she felt with books.   “They’ve got all kinds of stuff in here,” Jae stated as he led her further into the building. “Records, CDs, DVDs, posters, figurines, you name it.”   “You’re not allowed to buy anymore Duke Ellington records,” Ellie warned him, pointing up to him as they walked. “I mean it.”   “Come on, a couple records never hurt nobody.”   “I mean it, Jaehyung.”   “Well damn, if you say it like that…” Ellie rolled her eyes, pausing as the R&B and Soul section caught her attention. She drifted over to the CDs, looking at covers that she hadn’t seen since she was a child. She was miles down memory lane when she realized that Jae had been too quiet for too long; with a frown she looked up, just in time to watch him saunter his way back over to her, a smile on his face.   “Alright,” he called out. “I got the jackpot.”   “What…?” Ellie’s question traveled off as he joined her on the R&B aisle, and she saw the small stack of records in his hand. “Jae!” Jae paused, blinking down at her.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter