hold me closer to the light

The Moon and You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jungle
Tash Sultana
hold me closer to the light
CHAPTER THREE  

“Unnie, you have a lot of explaining to do.”

 

Wheein and Jessica were sitting on Wheein’s couch, both holding a mug with tea in their hands. Wheein can’t help but notice the gold glimmer in Jessica’s eyes and Jessica could feel the confusion and betrayal in Wheein’s heart. Jessica put her mug down and snapped with her fingers, making a pen and paper float to the table. Wheein stared at the flying objects with agape before shaking her head wildly and recovering a more neutral expression.

 

“I’m sorry Wheein-ah, I wanted to tell you so badly but I wasn’t allowed to until very recently. I’m pretty sure I overused my ‘I’m working’ excuse, but I have also been avoiding Korea because of other reasons.”

 

Wheein nodded and looked at Jessica. Actually, there was nothing strange about Jessica, just that she is a vampire and she never noticed before.

 

“How come that I’ve never seen your true face before? I’ve known you my whole life, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen your baby pictures and everything. How old are you anyway?”

 

Jessica flinched when Wheein said true face but remains unfazed by the interrogation. 

 

“Currently, I am 159 years old. I have known you my whole life because in an attempt to save Soojung and me, my father created a potion to manipulate our growth. He turned us back to children, so in that way we could recreate childhood and grow up with you, to protect you. We love you a lot, and were happy to take care of you no matter what, until we all grew apart and had different responsibilities, though we always felt guilty for not being there with you when your parents left. We tried to take care of you from a distance though.”

 

Jessica took a sip of her tea and leaned forward to the coffee table. Taking the pen, she started writing names down. Wheein followed the elegant lines of Jessica’s handwriting as she filled the paper with names she has never heard of.

 

“You never found out because the ‘true face’ as you called it, our Dark Form, can only be seen after your body reaches the age of 17. We were already apart before I reached that age as Jessica Jung, so you could’ve never seen it. The Dark Form doesn't appear on pictures or through video because of difference in frequency, and that’s how you have never seen it until know in the flesh.”

 

Jessica stopped with writing and pushed the piece of paper towards Wheein. She took one last sip of the tea before standing up and walking to the kitchen. Her voice echoed from the kitchen as Wheein heard Jessica filling the kettle with water and shuffling around the room.

 

“To humans, we are known as the Jung family. Specifically, I am known as Jessica Jung Sooyeon, the creative director of Blanc&Eclare, my company. However, to the supernaturals I am known as Achlys Frost, the Mist. To protect the identity of supernaturals, the world leaders asked us to not use our original names and merge in with the bigger crowd. Of course, there are supernaturals everywhere that don’t agree, but with the growing numbers of slayer clans there was no other way to protect oneself without hurting others.”

 

Wheein opened to say something but quickly closed it and took the paper in her hands. Her head was spinning with all this new information her cousin was feeding her. Even though Wheein already knew that vampires existed, all of this was unknown to her. She put the paper down, her eyes still reading the list. Kharis Frost. Must be Soojung unnie. 

 

“What does Kharis mean?”

 

Jessica smiled proudly as she walked back to the couch with a new steaming mug. She crossed her legs and leaned on her leg with her left arm.

 

“Charm and grace. It always fitted her so well, don’t you think?”

 

Wheein nodded, mirroring Jessica’s posture.

 

“How did you get your names?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter