When Namjoon Ruins a Suit

You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[ B E F O R E ]

 

...and I am sorry since I’m always on the receiving end. When I am in the bathroom to cry, you still cry with me. And you come see me at dawn to laugh alongside me. You care about me and have me in your thoughts. You work hard for me and understand me. You listen to my concerns and like me though I’m lacking.

Let’s walk a road of happiness.

Love you, buddy.

 

Jimin folds the paper in half for the nth time despite the fact that he’ll probably open it again in a minute or two.

It’s been an hour since he started packing; he should be done by now, but he’s too distracted.

“Jimin hyung! Have you seen my charger?”

Quickly, he stuffs the paper inside the pile of clothes as Jungkook appears by the door, hair tousled and holding a camera bag.

“It’s not in the drawer?”

“No, I’ve looked twice,” answers the youngest, “Did I mix it up with your pile of clothes or anything?”

The dancer looks around, tossing a few clothes here and there. He digs through his open luggage. “Sorry Kookie, it’s not here,” he says.

The maknae heaves a frustrated sigh. “, where did I put it?”

“Hey, no swearing.”

Jungkook rolls his eyes. “I’m of age, hyung.”

“Here you’re not. You’re still 19 in the US.”

Jimin immediately ducks as the maknae pretends to lunge at him. Jungkook headlocks his hyung, scruffing his hair as Jimin struggles. Eventually, the older boy pushes the younger off, telling him to go find his charger elsewhere—unless he wants a beating. Jungkook laughs as he saunters off to bother the other hyungs.

Once he’s gone, Jimin resumes packing.

But it only takes a full minute before he unfolds the paper and reads again.

In a few hours, they’d be boarding a plane back to Korea. He’s glad to go home, but he’s also sad to leave. Hawaii gave him new memories to treasure: helicopter rides, surfing, late night drinking, more bonding moments, cruises—

Speaking of cruises.

You care about me and have me in your thoughts. You work hard for me and understand me.

Taehyung’s voice resounds in his head.

The letters that Bangtan read and wrote for each other on the yacht are an awkward kind of special. They expressed unsaid emotions face to face, which was great, but it was also embarrassing. Even Jimin, who writes the most, found it extremely weird when the staff asked them to write letters to each other.

He got Hoseok hyung, which was no problem but still a little awkward. And by his luck, who else should get his name but the one and only Kim Taehyung?

You listen to my concerns and like me though I’m lacking.

Taehyung had written a note or two in the past, but this was the first time Jimin received a full letter. And not just any letter—as V mentioned, he poured his heart into it. Judging from the content, there’s no doubting that he said the truth.

That made things even more complicated for Park Jimin.

This recent vacation wasn’t just a minefield of memories; it was also a maze of questions. Most, if not all, concerned his best friend.

Jimin needs answers. His suspicions have been haunting him for a year already; he was just about to bury them, but 2017 happened and things started to spiral down from there. There are times when he catches himself thinking about it, wishing he knew.

Could he be holding the answer in his hands?

Love you, buddy.

“Jimin-ah?”

Jimin squeals in surprise. He crumples the letter as he looks up. Taehyung is leaning by his door.

“God, Tae Tae. You scared me.”

His best friend smiles sheepishly as he makes his way to the other, tiptoeing through the pile of clothes and general mess.

“You done yet?”

“Do I look like I’m done?”

Taehyung grabs a pair of boxers and smirks. “Nope,” he says, throwing it in the open bag, “I’m done with mine so I can bother you so Jungkook can stop bothering me. He says I stole his charger.” He rolls his eyes. “Yeah, cause my Polaroid camera needs a DSLR charger.”

He drops opposite Jimin, eyes scanning the room before noticing the paper in his friend’s hands. Jimin, realizing what Taehyung sees, tries to hide it. But he knows it’s pointless.

“You’re that touched, huh?” asks Taehyung.

“No.”

“Minnie, my big eyes can see when you’re lying.”

“I didn’t even cry,” insists Jimin, “You did though.”

The younger one shrugs as he picks up a keychain, observing it. “Well, I read what’s in my heart out loud. How am I not supposed to cry?”

“So when you pour your heart out, you cry. Okay, I see.”

He puts the letter down and reaches for a shirt to fold.

“You don’t believe me?”

Taehyung’s eyebrows slightly scrunch in the middle as he stares intently at Jimin.

“Of course I do,” answers the older 95 liner.

“Did you like it?”

“Let me think.”

Taehyung playfully punches his chest. “I poured my heart and soul there!” he complains, which makes JImin laugh.

“Okay fine, I like it,” he answers, “Best letter ever.”

“Good, because I meant every word,” declares Taehyung, standing up, “Every single word.” He brushes off the dust from his pants and walks.

“Wow, just like that? Taunt and leave? Wah, Kim Taehyung,” remarks Jimin, “I thought you loved me a.k.a. your buddy.”

Taehyung stops by the door and stares at him.

“I really do love you, Jimin,” he says sincerely, “More than you know.”

He smiles then leaves—clueless to the effect he had on his best friend’s feelings, adding to his confusion.

 

 

[ N O W ]

 

There’s nothing worse than waking up in a terrible mood. The weather is nice and the bed is soft, but when you feel like —you feel like .

Jimin heaves an exhausted sigh as he exits the hotel lobby. It’s a cool yet sunny day; a few families are already out and about, lounging by the pool. Some recognize him, but today, he’s not in the mood to socialize.

He feels ty.

Last night, he went to sleep with his heart doing a little victory dance. He assumed he’d get a good night’s rest.

But he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

He adjusts his shades as he passes by a group of grandmas taking photos by the bridge. Jimin desperately wants to go back to his room and stay there. It was THE plan when he woke up feeling terrible, but when he received a text from his Jin hyung with the word EMERGENCY on it, he had no choice.

The plan was to meet everyone by the snack bar at 9 AM. If it were anyone (even Yoongi), he would’ve ditched, but Jimin knows there’s no ditching Seokjin.

He arrives at the snack bar and sees most of the members are there—including the one who made his morning terrible. Jimin feels his stomach turn violently.

This time, it’s not Taehyung’s fault. He might have something to do with it, but Jimin acknowledges it’s not him—it’s because of him.

His mind replays to that night when he left Taehyung at the bar. His ex asked why he kept on leaving; Jimin didn’t answer the question. Instead, he dissed him, insisting he was the first one to leave. He left the bar feeling a little smug, but when he woke up, he realized one thing: he was an ungrateful jerk.

“Jimin’s here!”

“As always, he’s the last one to arrive.”

Everyone’s lounging by one of the tables. Hoseok is feeding a very hungry Hana some cereal while Yoongi stares at them blankly. Namjoon smiles as he sits beside a somewhat pissed Seokjin, who nevertheless smiles when he arrived.

Then there’s Taehyung, standing behind Hoseok. Today, he doesn’t say “Hi.” Instead, he just stands there and looks at Jimin without a word.

I ed up. Oh my god.

He forces a smile before sitting opposite his Jin hyung.

“Okay, now that we’re all here, hyung,” Hobi finally says, wiping his daughter’s mouth “What’s the emergency about?”

Jin crosses his arms, obviously annoyed. “Why don’t we all ask my lovely fiancé?” he asks, looking at a suddenly nervous Namjoon.

“Oh my god, what did you do this time?” demands Hoseok, “Don’t tell me we have to pay for that paddle you broke.”

“No it’s not that,” says the leader, “It’s... um...” he rubs the back of his head.

Jin sighs. “He ripped the suit he was supposed to wear on our wedding,” he finishes, looking so done, “Mind you... he ripped a $2000 suit, the one I bought while I was in Italy.”

There’s a collective groan in the table.

“Joonie hyung, how could you rip a suit?” asks Taehyung, “Is there a hole or did you destroy the seams?”

“He did something worse,” reveals Jin, finishing his soda.

“What the hell did you do?”

Their poor leader looks like a helpless puppy as he pushes himself to explain. “I... ripped both armpits.”

Hoseok and Taehyung burst out laughing while Yoongi shakes his head. Jimin chuckles at the image of his Namjoon hyung walking around the room, raising his ripped suit at his fiancé. It sounded impossible, but only Rap Monster can cause such destruction.

“Ah, so it’s not enough that you broke the wooden paddle,” comments Hobi, “You just had to rip your wedding suit, didn’t you?”

“I was excited! I just wanted to try and see if it fits!” defends Namjoon.

“Baby, of course it fit you! I bought it and you know I’m good with measurements,” exclaims an exasperated Jin.

“I just wanted to see!”

“Couldn’t you have waited on our wedding day?”

“Yeah, that would’ve been better, Joon,” agrees Yoongi.

“A two-thousand dollar Italian suit? Ah my heart,” seconds Taehyung, clutching his chest as he pretends to be in pain.

All the taunting causes the other groom to sit under an Umbrella of Shame. He bows his head down as he meekly explains that he didn’t intend for it to rip. Meanwhile, his fiancé is close to swearing but shuts his mouth since Hana is there, staring curiously at the bickering men.

“Okay, instead of all of us ing against Joon for being a klutz, let’s just buy him a new suit,” announces Yoongi, “There’s a tuxedo shop down at High Street. He can pick one there.”

“Can I take Hana?” asks Hobi.

“Of course!” exclaims Taehyung, smiling at the adorable 4-year old.

“Wait, no... we can’t all go,” says Jin, “I’m the other groom, so I’m not allowed to see him. But he can’t go alone! Someone has to accompany him.”

“Babe, I think I can shop for a suit myself.”

“Oh hell no, I need someone to keep you coordinated with the theme and keep you from causing destruction.”

Namjoon sighs defeatedly.

“I’ll take care of that,” volunteers Yoongi.

“What about the rest of us?” asks Hoseok.

“You guys can go get ice cream while we find a suit. We shouldn’t take too long,” assures the second eldest, “I’ll send you photos of suits, Jin hyung. Once we get it, we’ll catch up wherever you guys are.”

“That sounds like a plan,” declares Jin, “Okay, so who’s going with me to get ice cream?”

“Ice cream?” pipes in Little Hana, her eyes lighting up. Hoseok chuckles.

“Count me and my baby in,” he says.

“I’m going with them,” says Taehyung, his eyes sparkling at the sight of the little girl. Jimin knows that look; his ex is a er for children.

“That’s settled,” says Jin, “How about you Jimin? Are you coming with us or will you join the suit hunt with Yoongi and Joon?”

Three days ago, the answer would’ve been simple: join his rapper hyungs. Tempted as he is, however, he feels that terrible cloud hovering above him won’t disappear if he joins the suit hunt. He wants to be with them, but—

“Ice cream sounds great, too.”

His answer raises painfully obvious reactions from some of the members. Hoseok raises an eyebrow, Namjoon almost spills his drink, and Seokjin’s eyes widen. Yoongi remains stoic, but Jimin sees a spark in those eyes.

Taehyung still stands there, eyes nailed at Jung Hana.

“Alright then,” says Jin, finally standing up, “Yoongi, I leave my clumsy fiancé in your hands. Make sure he doesn’t pick anything in the shade of green. Also, please keep him from breakable items... I’m begging you.”

“Sure,” says Yoongi.

Jin silences Namjoon’s protest with a kiss before huddling the remaining members. “Okay kids, let go get some ice cream. This groom needs to cool off.”

--

Fate knows when Park Jimin screwed up and has to make things right. He wants to flee, but somehow he ended up walking close to his ex on their way to the ice cream parlor.

Just a few meters ahead, Jin and Hobi are in a serious conversation—the latter carrying his daughter in his arms. Jimin wants to catch up with them and join the talk, but it seems like the hyungs are sharing a private one.

He’s stuck walking next to Taehyung, instead.

His ex has not said a word since they started walking. Hands shoved in his pockets, V keeps his chin up, earphones in place, and pretending Jimin doesn’t exist. His presence stirs the attention of some vacationers, but Taehyung does not acknowledge them. All he does is nod and goes back to walking silently.

Jimin doesn’t know what’s on his ex’s mind; what he does know is that he should apologize for last night’s immaturity.

Taehyung didn’t save his life just so he could get dissed. Jimin still believes his former best friend did him wrong when he left, but he also had no right to say those words to Tae. If he doesn’t say anything, his conscience might collapse.

C’mon... just poke him. Get it over with.

His ex is cold as a statue, but Jimin must get over his fear. A few minutes later, he reaches out and waves a hand in front of Taehyung. It takes a few seconds for the younger 95 liner to notice. He takes off an earphone and glances at Jimin.

“Yeah?”

He sounds pissed.

Jimin is sorely tempted to out again, but he subdues himself.

“I... I just wanted to say something.”

Taehyung removes the other earphone.

“What’s that?”

“I...”

The words are stuck in his throat.

“I... just wanted to apologize,” he finally says, “For last night.”

“What about it?”

I can’t believe I’m doing this. Ugh. Kill me now.

“I said some words that I shouldn’t have,” continues Jimin, “I mean... it doesn’t change anything, but... I could’ve been more mature.” He clears his throat. “I also didn’t get to thank you for rescuing me from the water so... I’m sorry.”

He could sound more sincere, but that’s the most he can do. Jimin doesn’t look at his ex once he finished his statement. Taehyung is the kind of person who doesn’t hold grudges, but five years can change a person—

“It’s okay.”

Wait, what?

Taehyung flashes him a small smile.

“I deserved it anyway,” he continues, “And you were tired.”

“I know, but… that’s not an excuse.”

“It’s alright, Jimin. I understand.”

All of a sudden, the heaviness surrounding him since morning is gone. Jimin feels like he can prance around, sing, or even dance all of their choreographies since No More Dream.

“Thanks again,” he says, “For saving me yesterday. I could’ve died.”

“It’s not a big deal,” remarks Taehyung, “I’d do it again if I have to anyway.”

Before Jimin could reply, they had already arrived at the ice cream shop. Painted in vibrant colors, the small store is decorated with ice cream figurines, streamers, and stuffed toys—basically a child’s dream and an adult’s nightmare (unless you’re Namjoon and it’s filled with Ryan plushies).

“Jimin-ah!” calls Hoseok, “Can you hold Hana for a second? Take her to the table while we order.”

The lead dancer beckons his younger counterpart, his daughter immediately smiling at the sight of Jimin.

“It’s Uncle Puffy Cheeks!” she exclaims, pointing at him excitedly.

“Hana, what did we say about pointing?” asks Hoseok as he hands her over to Jimin’s waiting arms. The little girl covers and shakes her head, flashing those adorable eyes at her father.

“What do you want, Jimin?” asks Seokjin.

“I’ll have the vanilla sundae.”

“Tae?”

“Chocolate with bananas. Thanks very much for the treat, hyung!”

“Ah this brat, really.”

Jimin chuckles as he takes Hana to the table Taehyung already reserved. The latter is busy texting on his phone, probably answering emails for projects. There are three chairs beside him. Seokjin hyung and Hobi hyung already claimed the two opposite Taehyung.

This shouldn’t be difficult.

“Uncle?”

Hana’s soft voice breaks his reverie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter