Epilogue: Been a Year

You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“… and negotiations are going great so far. Technicalities aside, fans can expect one thing—“

 

Yoongi knew the reporter would do a dramatic pause. It’s a thing with celebrity-related news: keep viewers in suspense by suddenly shutting your mouth, widening your eyes, and leaning towards the camera. It looks stupid, but it always works.

 

“ARMY will see all seven of BTS soon.”

 

He turns the television off and throws the remote on the couch. Annoyed as he is at the chirpy reporter, he can’t help but agree with her.

She delivered good news, anyway.

It was true when she said negotiations are going great so far. Just yesterday, he and Namjoon met up with Big Hit’s and Mnet’s top executives, discussing the possibility of a reunion concert. Based on the discussion they had, and if things go according to plan, ARMYs will have a lot to look forward to.

Reunion – the word makes it sound as if the boys had not seen each other in a millennium.

 

“Let’s just pretend to cry when we see each other on stage,” suggested Namjoon on their way home.

“I’m not a good actor.”

“No, you’re not, hyung,” said the leader, “But do you know who is good at acting?”

Silence.

“Soo Jin.”

The memory of Soo Jin – aka Namjoon and Jin’s adopted 8-month old baby boy – made Yoongi smile.

“The kid’s only a few months old but I swear he’s so good at whining and winning Jin hyung over,” explains the new dad, “It’s so obvious when he fake cries, but he’s too damn adorable.”

 

Jin and Namjoon having a child seemed like a pipe dream years ago; now that it’s happened, Yoongi realizes that much has indeed changed in a year.

He enters the studio and sees the mess on his desk. In the middle of the chaos of books, sheet music, and coffee cans lies a solitary photo. The producer brushes off the rubbish before he picks it up, a small smile forming on his face.

It was taken during one of Bangtan’s out-of-the-blue meetups. Jin was the frequent organizer of these events. Yoongi would wake up to a text or two, inviting him for 3-day vacations, brunch, or just a simple talk over coffee. But it wasn’t just him—it was always with the boys.

All of them, as much as possible.

In all of their photos (even in this one), Jin and Namjoon sit together; the eldest has his arm around his husband’s waist. Beside Namjoon sits Jungkook—the one who self-timed his camera just to capture the photo. On the other end of the couch sat Jimin, perched on the edge and his hands pinching both of Taehyung’s cheeks. As usual, Taehyung’s boxy smile completes the photo.

Yoongi sees himself squeezed between Taehyung and Hoseok. He looks a little sheepish in the photo; he blames it on Hobi’s presence.

Compared to their earlier photographs (they’ve had a lot), time’s touch on them is evident. But despite the small wrinkles, slight pudges, and traces of grey hair, they still are the same happy and goofy Bangtan Boys that fans have come to love.

 

Much has changed indeed.

 

His monitor is still on, he realizes. On screen is a paused video showing fairy lights illuminating the dark skies and a solitary silhouette of a couple in love.

True to his nature, Jungkook sent his edit of Namjoon and Jin’s wedding a year and a half later. Nobody expected he’d be prompt and no one knew he was coming anyway, but to be this late with a video was just ridiculous.

But JK will always be JK.

Sorry it took super long. I’ll give you something for an ‘I’m sorry I’m late’ present, he wrote.

Said present was a video game—the one he just developed. The first person shooter (FPS) strategy game involved zombies, adventure maps, and token muscular rabbits. When the maknae first told him about it, Yoongi thought it was a ridiculous concept. But when it hit the stores, gamers instantly fell in love with the maknae’s creation.

Who knew the boy’s love for games would turn into his career?

Yoongi sets the photo back and sits in front of his station, gazing at his work. He decides he’ll finish Jungkook’s video later so he closes the app, opens his e-mail, and browses through a hoard of messages. The producer starts opening one e-mail after the other, taking down notes of his priorities and of the next songs to make.

Once he reaches the fifth message, he gasps.

“Well, son of a .”

He can’t help but grin like an idiot as he hastily clicks on it. It takes a while due to the attachments, but the short message gives it away.

Hyung,

We’ve all been waiting for this—you ing know that.

 

Yoongi sees the download has already finished. So immediately, he opens it on his photo viewing app. He touches the screen and zooms in to read the details. Above the primary details is a short yet sweet introduction:

Kim Tae Tae & Park Chim Chim are tying the knot.

We’ll give you plenty of reasons to come.

 

It’s been one hell of a ride for those two, Yoongi thinks.

The past year wasn’t easy for his 95-liner dongsaengs. Ever since Taehyung outed himself to the public, he was forced to deal with both the negative and positive reactions. Everyone expected the backlash; it took nine months before Yoongi spotted only an article or two discussing Tae’s disgraceful honesty and disbanding from societal norms.

Reporters would constantly hound him for an explanation, which the producer thought was a stupid and pointless move. Taehyung already explained himself—why do it again?

Fortunately, the actor was level-headed, even during those trying times. He handled criticisms gracefully, answered a few questions, and stood firm in his beliefs.

Having Jimin by his side was great motivation too.

The public has an inkling on the identity of Taehyung’s special someone, but no one is confirming or denying anything. Speculations here and there, however, did not pull Jimin away from the actor’s side. Together, the 95 liners persevered and maintained their relationship—despite the ups and downs.

It was amazing, watching Jimin overcome his fear of getting caught or compromising his boyfriend’s career. Yoongi saw the producer gain confidence every single day.

 

“Sometimes I want to take Taehyung and just leave everything behind. I hate seeing him endure the hurtful words they say,” Jimin said during one of their production meetings, “But Tae’s strong. He says he’ll face it if he has too. I’m really proud of him.”

 

The heat eventually died down; there was still talk, but not much.

Taehyung did have to take time off. As his manager advised, it was best to wait for things to cool down before he returned to acting. Everyone in Bangtan thought the semi-forced break would be a downer for the bubbly Kim Tae Tae, but he surprised them with his optimism.

“It’s not the end of the world,” he told them over dinner before, “Now I have more time to pursue hobbies like photography. Also, I’ve got you guys back again. So what should I worry about?”

He said all of these while wrapping an arm around Jimin’s waist.

 

Taehyung didn’t have to wait too long to return to the screen, though. Miraculously, it only took eight months before he was signed for a new project—an independent film discussing breaks from society’s norms. Unlike previous projects during his 5-year fame, this one had a small budget and was produced by an unknown company.

It was such a drastic downsize for the superstar, but he didn’t mind.

“It’s a movie with a voice—a nice break from the regular I used to do.”

With lowered expectations, Yoongi and the gang didn’t expect the film to do as well as their friend’s previous projects. So when the socially-conscious movie gained instant popularity, everyone was shocked.

Needless to say, Taehyung gained his popularity back—but in a different light. People started to listen to what he had to say and not just like him for his talent or looks. The actor took advantage of his new position, speaking his mind during interviews and guestings.

He achieved all of these wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter