30 Year-Old Boyz with Fun

You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Despite being a pro drinker, Park Jimin is still a rookie when it comes to nursing hangovers.

 

Jimin woke up at 6 AM, all woozy and unstable. Like most mornings after a night of heavy drinking, he can’t remember what he did. He doesn’t even remember going to dinner or seeing any of the hyungs last night. All he can recall is visiting the bar, striking up a conversation with someone and that was it.

That and some threats of being killed.

As he sits there, head bowed and groaning, Jimin regrets drinking too much.

He also resents Taehyung for being the primary cause.

I can’t go on like this. I’ll die of alcohol abuse if I keep drinking because of him, he decides, I really have to stay out of his way. But how?

He could book a flight back to the city and just come back for the wedding, but that would be a waste of time and money. Plus, his hyungs already paid for the week-long accommodation; what kind of a friend would he be if he ditched?

His original plan of just staying in his room and working on melodies is also tempting. But can he really live that way?

Then, there’s the bar—

No, you’re not getting drunk.

The smell of French toast fills the air, seducing Jimin’s growling stomach. Unfortunately, he’s too hungover to even stand up. Dragging himself from his room to the dining hall was already a miracle; forcing himself to get breakfast would need divine intervention.

“Well, if it isn’t Park Jimin.”

Jimin looks up and sees his Namjoon hyung smiling cockily at him. He knows his hyung just said everything in a normal voice, but it feels like he’s screaming.

“Ugh hyung, not so loud.”

The taller man chuckles as he sets two plates down. “You’re lucky I was in the mood to pick up more breakfast,” he says, pushing one plate towards Jimin, “Nothing like oil-soaked food to cure a hangover, right?”

“Thanks, hyung,” the dongsaeng mumbles, cringing because of his headache, “Where’s Jin hyung?”

“Ah... he’s still asleep.”

“He’s not going to eat?”

“Nah, I ordered room service for him. He’s too tired.”

“Why? Did he finally decide to play tennis or something?”

“Uh... let’s just say he’s tired.”

Namjoon’s dimple makes an appearance as he remembered something. The dongsaeng decides he’d rather not know.

“Where’s Suga hyung?” asks Namjoon as he sits down opposite Jimin.

“He went out for a walk already.”

“Why?”

“He said he doesn’t want to be near me until later,” replies Jimin, poking at his French toast, “I guess I must’ve pissed him off last night.”

“Well, he came to dinner looking harassed, Min. And we all know what you do to people who take care of you when you’re drunk.”

Jimin rubs his face. “Oh my god, I hope I didn’t try to kiss him or anything.”

“Why do you think he’s pissed?”

The older man laughs as his dongsaeng groans in disdain. He tries not to think about it, weakly spearing a piece of bacon and chewing on it.

This is all Taehyung’s fault.

“So what made you drink at three in the afternoon?” asks Namjoon as he sips from his cup of coffee.

The younger guy sighs.

“I don’t know. Life?”

“When you say life, you mean Kim Taehyung, huh?”

Damn it. He hasn’t seen me much but he still knows me so well, curses Jimin. He wants to lie, but Namjoon’s stare tells him it would be pointless. Leader Hyung knows everything; might as well be honest.

He shrugs and takes a tiny bite of his toast.

“I see you’re really struggling with him, Chim,” notes his hyung, “You obviously don’t like that he’s here.”

“Who would?” shots Jimin, who then realizes he might’ve sounded y, “I mean... I know you guys are okay with him. He matters to everyone, especially you, Joonie hyung. I’m the only one who wishes he’d vanish.”

“That’s a little strong.”

“Well, at least it’s just vanish—not dead.”

Namjoon sighs.

“Ah Jiminie, I know it . I saw how hurt you were when Tae chose his career,” he says, “But... we’re all adults here. Taehyung’s not the only one who matters to me; you do too. Both of you are important, which is why you’re invited to my wedding. Tae can’t vanish and neither can you.”

Jimin can feel the air shifting as their conversation took a serious turn. When Namjoon means business, even an unsuspecting rock will feel it.

“I appreciate that you came here, Minnie. Yoongi hyung told me you were having second thoughts, but you made it. I’m happy you’re here,” he continues, “But I can’t have you living like a drunk and grumpy hermit. I want you to enjoy too. And for you to do that, you need to man up.”

“I am manning up.”

“Avoiding your ex like the plague isn’t manning up, Jimin. It’s called being a coward,” corrects his hyung.

Ouch.

Jimin cringes at his hyung’s words, but there’s no denying Namjoon’s wisdom.

“Just be civil with him. Don’t do it for him; do it for the rest of us,” says the leader hyung as he twirls the pasta with his fork, “Can you do at least that, Chim Chim?” He looks up from his food to gaze at his dongsaeng.

There’s no point arguing anymore—Jimin knows that.

“Sure Joonie hyung,” he says, “I’m sorry I’m being such a jerk, but I’ll really try.”

His hyung reaches over to ruffle his hair. “Good, you can try later.”

“What?”

Namjoon scarfs down the eggs. “We’re going to the beach—all of us. Jin hyung already booked everything: the banana boat, jet skis, and other water activities. There’s also scuba diving and snorkeling,” he informs Jimin, “Think Bon Voyage or Summer Packagel.”

The dongsaeng gulps, but he keeps his face stoic.

“That’s... interesting.”

“It’ll be fun, Minnie. Trust me,” assures his hyung, “If you let it be fun, it will be.” He empties his plate. “Damn it, I’m still hungry. I should get some more.”

“What the hell did you do last night?”

Namjoon just winks at him as he stands up, leaving a hungover Jimin scandalized.

 

 

 

Yoongi slathers sunscreen on his skin for the nth time. Being the naturally pale guy he is, all the gods know he needs it.

 

The rapper/producer huffs resentfully as he closes the lid of the bottle. There are plenty of reasons he’s not a big fan of beaches or swimming; putting on sunscreen is one of them. Also, he’s Min Yoongi, which means anything that involves too much fun is not his style.

But it’s Jin and Namjoon’s wedding week and the couple already arranged their activities. Who is he to say no?

He checks himself in the mirror again. His Hawaiian shirt plus cargo shorts tandem should be enough; it also goes well with his black cap. Once he deems himself presentable, he takes the key card and leaves.

If he had it his way, thinks the rapper, he wouldn’t be out and about today. He’d rather lock himself in his room and work on a new melody. His inbox is filled with requests for songs, melodies, and lyrics; he could do them all right now, but he can’t because:

1. Jin will kill him.

2. Namjoon can’t stop Jin should he decide to kill Yoongi.

And

3. Hoseok.

Yes, Hoseok.

As he makes his way downstairs, he can’t help but think of last night.

He really wasn’t expecting Hobi to go through with their “drinks after dinner” plan since he had a daughter to mind. But miraculously, his fellow rap line managed to put Hana to sleep earlier than expected. Yoongi was lounging lazily by the bay when he got the message from Hoseok, telling him to meet up at the bar.

When Hobi showed up, it felt like the sun literally arrived to enlighten the dark crevices of the bar.

Unlike casual drinking sessions with his friends, the one he shared with the 94 liner was more meaningful. Yoongi had forgotten what it was like to just hang out with Hoseok. It had been years since they did.

“Ah, Hwagae Market back together again, huh?” commented his dongsaeng as he takes his first shot.

Suga didn’t reply. He was enjoying the moment.

They spent the first hour catching up; Hoseok is still amazed his Yoongi hyung made it big with music producing.

“But you’re Genius Suga! Of course it’s expected,” he said.

They also talked about Hobi’s temporary venture in watermelon farming. According to him, it was just out of interest. He was watching one of their VLIVEs (bless him) and saw the episode where they called him a watermelon farmer. He tried his hand, but failed miserably.

Yoongi laughed out loud—something he rarely did continuously, unless it was with Hoseok.

It felt so good to sit there and share drinks with his Hwagae Market partner. Despite being a father already, Hobi still knows how to have fun. His infectious laughter caused Yoongi to smile more than he’s recently used to—and it made him feel good.

Up until the part they discussed the girl.

“I don’t know, hyung. I really want to do the right thing,” he was saying after his third shot of soju (Yoongi already had six), “I know I should’ve married her in the first place. That’s what my father said: I should’ve tied the knot immediately. But... I didn’t do it.”

“Why not?”

“Because I didn’t love her. I mean, she’s a friend but I couldn’t see her as more than that,” explained Hoseok, “Hooking up was such a stupid decision.” He sighed as he poured himself another shot of soju but did not drink.

“Why’d you do it?”

Hobi was gazing at the neon sign behind the bar, thinking. “Depression , hyung. One minute you think you’re fine, the next you’re not,” he admitted, “I had one of my episodes and I stumbled across that friend in a bar. She understood me perfectly. We had a long talk and before I knew it, we were doing it.”

This happened four years ago. During that time, Yoongi remembered struggling as well. The disbanding coupled with a few worries (plus memories of Hoseok) did him no good. But he got help. Hobi apparently ended up with something else.

“I guess you can say it was also a blessing in disguise,” continued Hoseok, “Ever since Hana came into my life, I’ve been very happy. That little girl is my world.”

“I can see that.”

“I want to give her the best things in life,” he then paused, “If living under one roof with her mother would do her better, I’d do it.”

Hoseok drank his shot, clueless to Yoongi’s stare. The latter felt his heart tighten, hearing those words from his dongsaeng’s mouth. He experienced that infamous fear he got whenever he was close to telling Hobi everything: about how he pined for the younger but never acted on it.

“Do you think I should get married, hyung?” Hobi asked.

Until now, Yoongi doesn’t know the right answer. Or he does, but he refuses to say it.

Laughter echoes in the air as he walks by guests having a good time. How he wishes he could have their joy and not be torn on the inside. But life is funny and Min Yoongi feels like he’s the joke of it all.

“Do you think I should get married, hyung?”

Suga catches his breath as his eyes scan the beach for any familiar face. Finally, he hears Taehyung’s boisterous laughter nearby. After a few more steps, he spots the group all huddled around banana boats, kayaks, and scuba suits.

A tall figure stands in front of him. He turns around and it’s none other than Hoseok.

“Ah, Yoongi hyung is here!” he exclaims, his smile blinding as ever.

“Do you think I should get married, hyung?”

He stops and returns the smile.

 

No, you shouldn’t.

 

 

“FOR THE LAST TIME, I AM NOT KAYAKING WITH YOU, KIM NAMJOON!”

Jimin suppresses a laugh as he watches Hobi run away from Namjoon, who’s waving a paddle manically.

“Why not? It’s going to be fun!”

“Why don’t you paddle with your fiancé then?”

“No can do, esse,” says Seokjin in a pathetic Mexican accent, “I’m spending my life with that man. Might as well get away from him whenever, wherever, while I still can.” He sips his cocktail. “Besides, Yoongi and I have plans.”

Yoongi stands beside the eldest, drink in hand and looking unsure. “We do?”

“Yeah, we’re going to act like adults,” says Jin, “We’re going to ride that.” He points to the large unicorn floater sitting lazily by the shore.

“ no.”

“Well, it’s either that or compete in a kayak race with Namjoon. He’s been insisting on it since morning. I’d give it to him, you guys, or else he’s not going to shut up about it.”

This gets Yoongi thinking.

“Huh, so my options are either to drift in a unicorn floater with you or to drown when Namjoon breaks the kayak in half?”

“HEY!”

“Sure, I’ll go with you, Jin hyung.”

“So…that leaves you with me!” declares Namjoon happily, smiling at a frightened Hoseok. The expression on Hobi hyung’s face is so funny, Jimin almost spills his drink.

“Why do you want me to be your partner? Don’t you know I have a child?”

“Pft, don’t use your daughter as an excuse. Come on, Hobi. Let’s race against Jimin and Tae!”

Wait, what?

Instantly, Jimin stops drinking his fruit punch. He remembers that Taehyung exists and is standing opposite him, hands in his pockets. Of course, he’s dressed to the nines as always (bandana, loose white dress shirt tucked in his shorts; probably Gucci).

His big eyes, however, reflect the surprise in Jimin’s.

When they first arrived, Jimin’s automatic response was to ignore his ex’s presence. All he did was give Taehyung a curt nod before mixing himself some drinks from the table. The latter said nothing but a polite “Hello” and busied himself by inflating the unicorn. The presence of the other hyungs made everything bearable; Jimin didn’t have to talk to Taehyung and vice versa.

But if they were to ride the kayak together…

“95 versus 94? That’s interesting,” notes Jin, “Why not?”

Jimin feels all eyes drop on him and Taehyung. You’d think nothing drastic happened between the two of them, judging from the remarks of their hyungs.

“Do we really have to?” pipes in Taehyung, “What if Namjoon hyung bumps into our kayak and we all drown?”

“Yah Taehyung-ah. Don’t you have faith in your hyung?”

“No.”

His blunt answer makes the hyungs laugh.

“Besides, isn’t it too hot for a kayak race?” adds the dongsaeng, “Can’t we… I don’t know… just lounge around?”

“What fun would that be?” whines Namjoon, “Come on, guys. I’m getting married. At least give me this moment. I want a kayak race between 94 and 95!” He thumps his paddle like a little boy, closing his eyes and pouting his lips.

“But—“

“No buts! Let’s do this! Please?”

For once, Jimin meets Taehyung’s eyes.

“I’d give in if I were you,” suggests Yoongi, “You know he won’t let this up. Heck, he might throw a tantrum.”

A huge part of Jimin doesn’t want to do this, but he remembers his hyung’s request: try to act civil. He sees Taehyung waiting for him. Neither of them say anything as Namjoon continues to bother Hoseok, handing him the other paddle.

“If my daughter finds out her father drowned, you’ll have to explain yourself!”

“Don’t worry; we’ll adopt her if we have to.”

“Yah, Namjoon-ah!”

Namjoon laughs as he pulls Hoseok toward the first kayak parked nearby. Seokjin comments on how he’s so glad he’s got Yoongi for an excuse, making the latter roll his eyes. They walk towards the unicorn floater, ice-cold drinks in hand.

Meanwhile, Jimin and Taehyung are still frozen in their spots.

C’mon Chim, you made a promise to Namjoon hyung. You said you’d man up, not be a coward.

He glances at his ex who is now gazing at their hyungs. Eventually, his eyes return to Jimin.

“Shall we?” he asks in a deadpan voice.

They haven’t talked since Jimin turned down Taehyung’s request to be his friend again. The former doesn’t know how to approach his ex. But then again, he hasn’t been approaching Taehyung anyway. His fellow 95 liner had the decency to not push anything.

Jimin says nothing. Instead, he walks ahead.

“Wait, don’t you guys have a bet or something?” asks Seokjin, “The loser has to buy meals?”

“Why do we need punishments? Are we on Gayo?”

“It makes everything better!”

“Oh god, am I so glad that I’m not part of this nonsense,” comments Yoongi as he sips his drink and leans on the unicorn floater.

“How about loser gets a flick on the head?”

“Lame.”

“You’re one to talk.”

“What’s that supposed to mean—?”

“I got it!” exclaims Seokjin, surprising everyone, “The loser has to drift in the ocean for five minutes on the unicorn.”

Jimin suddenly bursts into giggles. He remembers that one time in Coron when Jin hyung lost to him twice; the eldest had no choice but to drift helplessly in the middle of the ocean. His laughter came to an abrupt stop, however, when he realizes that the same thing will happen to him if he loses this game.

The worse part: he’ll be stuck in the middle of the sea with his ex.

“Deal!”

“What?”

“Okay, rules: the first one who reaches that part,” says Namjoon, pointing at the ropes situated a few meters away, “And returns to the shore is the winner. The loser, as discussed, will float to sea for five minutes.”

Hoseok’s face reflects his fear; it’s fortunate because Jimin feels the same way.

“You guys go ahead,” says Jin, pulling on the unicorn floater, “Yoongi and I will watch you from afar while you do that.” The rapper/producer heaves a sigh as he follows the eldest, holding both their drinks.

“Come on, Hoseokie. Let’s go!”

The former leader of BTS pulls on his fellow 94 liner (who looks so done with his friend that his mouth is so close to forming a triangle). Jimin stares at them, his mind trying to think of a way out.

“Jimin-ah.”

He hears Taehyung’s husky voice behind him.

Jimin turns and sees his ex handing out one of the paddles. Taehyung has

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter