Of Snow Globes, Kids, and y Bartenders

You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

[ B E F O R E ]

 

“Come on, let me play just once.”

“Hyung, I’m trying to watch here. Why don’t you just eat more ramen?”

 

Jimin hears his Hoseok hyung grumble as he sits behind, watching Jimin finishes a Brian Puspos choreography (an absolute favorite) on his phone. Hobi’s phone died and he’s bored as hell; the next flight doesn’t leave for an hour and he’s already restless.

“I already ate two cups,” explains his hyung, “Why don’t you eat ramen while I play on your phone?”

“No.”

“Yah Jiminnie!”

He ignores his hyung and continues watching.

“Has anyone seen Taehyung-ah?” asks Namjoon all of a sudden, “I don’t want to lose that kid here in the airport.”

“He probably went out,” offers Yoongi, slurping his ramen, “He’ll be back.”

Five minutes later, Jimin is still engrossed with his video (with Hobi hyung silently complaining behind him) when he hears someone call his name.

“Jimin-ah.”

He looks up and sees his fellow 95 liner has returned and is holding a black paper bag. Taehyung approaches him as he fishes something out of the bag.

“Jimin. Here’s yours.”

It’s a mystery object wrapped in paper. As Tae hands him his gift, Jimin hears his hyungs tease and watch in amusement. He takes it from his friend, trying to guess what it is.

“What about mine?” pipes in Hoseok.

Tae shrugs before he turns his back. “Huh? What?”

They laugh, but Jimin does not join. He’s too fascinated with whatever Taehyung got him.

“Let me open it,” he says. His small fingers open the paper and take it the gift.

“What is it?” asks Hobi.

He lifts out a snow globe. It’s the one they saw in one of the souvenir shops in the airport. Taehyung got him one decorated with dolphins on the exterior. Inside, a tiny figurine of a Hawaiian couple hugging sits in the middle of the watery canvass.

Jimin hears his roommate teasing him, but he pays no mind.

“It’s pretty,” he tells Taehyung, who now sits beside their Namjoon hyung, “Thank you.” He puts it back in the wrapping and gently puts it down.

The dancer un-pauses his video, but he’s too distracted to focus on the choreography. For some reason, there are butterflies in his stomach.

The good kind, of course.

 

 

[ N O W ]

 

“Of all the places I had to go, I just had to end up in a souvenir store.”

 

Jimin questions his life decisions every now and then; this is one of them.

He stands in front a shelf of seashell lamps and tiny home decorations. His tiny finger flicks a cute parrot bobble head as he surveys the other items in the store. Everything is beautiful; he spots a few decorations that would look good in his mini studio.

Unfortunately, he’s not here to buy anything—he’s just here to get away.

From Taehyung, that is.

 

After he refused his ex’s request to be friends again, Jimin knew he had to leave. Without another word, he packed his laptop and sheet music. He didn’t wait for Taehyung to say anything; he just bid a short goodbye and went his way.

He didn’t want to go back to his room; being alone would trigger unpleasant thoughts about their short conversation. The beach front is still too hot and he obviously can’t go back to the cafe.

That’s how he ended up in the souvenir shop.

Jimin walks past the narrow aisles, mindlessly browsing through a parade of fans, wind chimes, more lamps, and accessories. What better way to distract yourself than with toy boats and oversized lamps, right?

“I wanted to talk to you because...I missed you.”

“Bull,” he says under his breath as he tinkers with a small pirate ship. Taehyung said he didn’t just come here for the wedding; he also wanted to see Jimin because he missed him. It sounded sincere, but Jimin doesn’t believe it.

If he missed him, why didn’t he call during the five years?

He moves on to another section filled with more figurines.  

“I...want to be your friend again. Please?”

It doesn’t make sense, decides Jimin as he continues to window shop. After breaking up, there was radio silence between him and Taehyung. They spent five years pretending the other one didn’t exist, so why did his ex want to be friends all of a sudden?

It’s not impossible for exes to be friends—he knows that. But with him and Taehyung, it didn’t sound right. Or...he just probably didn’t want to.

How can you be friends with someone who broke your heart?

Jimin is about to peruse through the shirt rack when a small object catches his eye. His body says “No!” but his hand still reaches out. The tiny snow globe fits perfectly in his small hands.

“Who the hell sells snow globes in an island souvenir shop?” he remarks, “It doesn’t even snow here.” He gives it a shake.

Instantly, a memory surfaces—one that involves a snow globe, an airport, and butterflies in his stomach.

They were in Hawaii, filming for Bon Voyage Season 2. Jimin remembers being busy with a video, ignoring an annoying Hoseok hyung. Taehyung returned and handed him a snow globe without further explanation, causing the other members to tease. He didn’t mind though; he didn’t look like it, but he was actually a ball of feelings that day.

No, stop that, he told himself, immediately putting the snow globe back.

He had to get out...again.

But where to?

I need a drink.

At three in the afternoon, Park Jimin decides to drown his sorrows in the nearest bar.

The island’s local bar is a nearly empty space hosting a few patrons. Apparently, Jimin is not the only one in need of a drink. He peers through the door first to ensure there’s no sign of his ex. The coast is clear and he enters, feeling a sense of relief.

As he approaches the bar, he notices a familiar figure hunched over one of the cocktail tables.

Ah, it’s Yoongi hyung.

He walks towards his favourite producer, about to explode with feelings, when he notices that something is off.

Years of being with Min Yoongi has taught Jimin a lot about this hyung; he knows him like the back of his hand. So when he sees Yoongi nursing his gin and tonic, shoulders tensed, and obviously staring into space, Jimin knows he’s in deep thought.

And it’s best to leave him alone.

He backs off.

I’ll just talk to him later, he decides as he walks towards the bartender instead.

 

 

Normal people don’t drink at three in the afternoon, but when you’re Min Yoongi, if you want a gin and tonic in the afternoon—you will have one.

 

He has no intention to get drunk so early, but given the morning’s events, the rapper decided he needed alcohol to help him think. Fortunately, there’s no one familiar in the bar so he has the liberty to drink without anyone’s judgment.

Being alone is a Min Yoongi trademark after all.

“Hello sir, would you like another one?”

One of the passing waiters notices his empty glass. Silently, he’s debating if he should already have his third glass.

“Sure,” he obliges.

As the waiter whisks his second glass, Yoongi collects his thoughts once again.

 

“Ah...guys, I...wanted to introduce you to Hana, my daughter.”

 

Hoseok said he named his daughter Hana because “She’s my number one. Hana, dul, set! Get it?” Everyone pretended to be amused with his attempt at being funny, but not Yoongi. He was too preoccupied with Hobi having a kid to pay attention.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter