Let Down of the Century

You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Park Jimin doesn't know what to think anymore. So much has happened and his brain couldn't take it. 

 

First, his band decided to part ways.

Jimin knew it was bound to happen sooner than later. When his Seokjin hyung entered the military, he sensed it was the beginning of the end. But he didn't expect it would happen once he and Taehyung came back from their military assignments. He thought they'd still work for five more years. 

But that's not the case anymore.

"Let's face it: we've reached our goals and we've made people happy. I think it's about time we take that break we deserve," his Namjoon hyung declared one night in the practice room. Jimin wanted to disagree, but when he saw his Suga hyung, Hobi hyung, and Jin hyung nod their heads, he wondered if he was missing something. After all, he and Tae had just returned from their enlistment that time: did the hyungs decide on this while they were away?

"Plus, I think it's better if we go during the later levels of our peak, which is now," added Jin, "Better to go away now than later when you're still performing and no one likes you anymore."

"I don't think ARMYs will get tired of us. But I agree," said Hoseok, "It's been 10 years and I think, for once, we should give ourselves a break."

"But why do we have to disband?" Jimin immediately asked, "Just because our contract ended, doesn't mean we have to leave."

Namjoon looked at him like a brother would to his dongsaeng. "I know that Jimin. And you still have a choice to renew it as a solo artist," he replied, "While you and V were away, however, the rest of us figured we want to do a lot of things outside Big Hit or Bangtan. We can't achieve those goals if we're still tied to our boy band image."

"Exactly."

"That's right."

"It's not like we're being ungrateful to ARMYs if that's what you think," his Suga hyung reasoned, "I think our fans will understand that we've reached that age where we want to live our life."

 

There was silence as Yoongi's statement resonated with the members. Jin nodded vigorously and so did Hoseok. Namjoon was leaning forward and rubbing his forehead with his rough hands. 

Jimin, lost and a little confused, looked at the one person who could understand. 

Opposite him, V returned his gaze with the same expression. He didn't say anything since the discussion began, which was odd for someone like him. Taehyung always added his opinions on serious matters such as this; it made Jimin wonder why his best friend said nothing. Did he agree with the hyungs? Or was he not for it but could not speak?

 

"Don't worry, Jimin," came Namjoon's voice, "Just because we're disbanding, doesn't mean we'll stop being friends." He smiled at his dongsaeng and roommate. "It just means we're friends going their separate ways. But we'll still be there for the big moments."

"That's true. We'll always be friends," seconded Hoseok, "Nothing's going to change that."

 

Second, he had to say goodbye to his fans

 

The decision to disband resulted in such unbearable grief for Jimin; it reached a point where he couldn't sleep, knowing that he would bid his life with BTS goodbye soon. During the talks, meetings, and discussions on how to break the news to fans, he was alwas the quiet one -- an unusual thing for someone like him, but his hyungs understood. He didn't want it, but it was inevitable. It was harder when they made final visits to fan cafes, VLIVE+ chats, and other platforms to see their fans and say their goodbyes. 

The hardest was their farewell concert in Seoul. 

It took Jimin everything he had not to break down in front of his fans. He had to keep looking up at the sky to stop the tears; otherwise, he'd just lie there and cry. He didn't want that. The band decided they would give their best in this one last show. They danced and sang memorable hits, laughed at Jin hyung's round of lame jokes, accepted the love of their doting fans, and said their farewells. 

"This won't be the last time you'll see us," promised Namjoon, "BTS will still be BTS wherever, whenever. We love each other and ARMYs all the same. Remember that!"

They were met with cheers and tears.

 

Once they made their final bow, Jimin realized he couldn't take it anymore. Before anyone could see him, he rushed backstage. 

 

His life as a Bangtan Boy is over; everything is over. 

 

Jimin clutched his chest as he stood inside one of the dressing rooms, alone. He could still hear the sad cheers of their fans outside; even the staff were hugging and cheering for the rest of his bandmates outside the room. He wanted to receive their hugs too, but at that time, he just wanted to be alone. 

Or be with that one person who knew him well.

"Jimin-ah?"

 

The husky voice was hard not to miss. 

 

Taehyung peaked his head by the door, looking at him with such concern. He was still covered in sweat and confetti, but he looked better than Jimin did. 

"I knew I'd find you here," he said, entering and closing the door behind him, "I was looking for you."

Jimin hastily wiped away his tears. "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be out there with them?" he asked, "They're getting the wine out."

"I don't drink, remember?" asked Tae, smiling,  "Besides, I wanted to know how you're doing."

"Terrible."

Taehyung approached him with an understanding look on his face. "I know," he answered, "But...you do know one good thing came out of this whole disbanding thing right?"

Finally, they were face to face. 

That look in Taehyung's eyes was so familiar, Jimin knew the answer. 

The younger boy looked behind him to make sure no one would see them before returning his gaze to Jimin. 

V leaned to kiss his best friend on the lips, which Jimin eagerly responded to. His hands automatically wrapped around the smaller boy's waist; he let Taehyung distract him from his sadness. 

 

Third, it had something to do with Taehyung.

 

On camera (and to the public world), V and Jimin were nothing but really close friends. Best friends, in fact. Nothing else. There was no malice in their hugs, praises, and "friendly" acts towards each other; even fans who shipped them knew the relationship was all in their heads.

Off camera, it wasn't.

Only a small group of people were privy to that information. Their bandmates and a couple of Taehyung and Jimin's friends knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter