Sequel 2

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

I have decided to extend the story to a few more chapters.

Please enjoy this. 

This story has its ups and downs. Just bear with me. 

What goes down, will always goes up.

-

"The Long Goodbye"
 

I know they say if you love somebody
You should set them free (so they say)
But it sure is hard to do
Yeah, it sure is hard to do
And I know they say if they don't come back again
Then it's meant to be (so they say)
But those words ain't pulling me through
Cos I'm still in love with you
I spend each day here waiting for a miracle
But it's just you and me going through the mill
(climbin' up a hill)

This is the long goodbye
Somebody tell me why
Two lovers in love can't make it
Just what kind of love keeps breaking a heart?
No matter how hard I try
You're gonna make me cry
Come on, baby, it's over, let's face it
All that's happening here is a long goodbye

Sometimes I ask my heart did we really
Give our love a chance (just one more chance)
and I know without a doubt
We turned it inside out
And if we walked away
would make more sense (only self defense)
But it tears me up inside
Just to think we still could try
How long must we keep riding on a carousel
Going round and round and never getting anywhere?
(on a wing and prayer)

This is the long goodbye
Somebody tell me why
Two lovers in love can't make it
Just what kind of love keeps breaking a heart?
No matter how hard I try
You're gonna make me cry
Come on, baby, it's over, let's face it
All that's happening here is a long goodbye

How long must we keep riding on a carousel
Going round and round and never getting anywhere?
on a wing and prayer

This is the long goodbye
Somebody tell me why
Two lovers in love can't make it
Just what kind of love keeps breaking a heart?
No matter how hard I try
You're gonna make me cry
Come on, baby, it's over, let's face it
All that's happening here is a long goodbye

The long goodbye
The long goodbye
This is the long goodbye

Someone please tell me why


Are you ever coming back again...

-

“Moon Byul Yi, your parole is approved and instead of serving 10 years, you are required to serve 6 years instead. We have agreed to reduce your jail term to 6 years based on your good conduct and a letter recommendation from your lawyer, Jung Wheein. Since you have already served 5 years and 10 months, you will hereby be released this Friday. I hope you will do good things and continue to be at your best behaviour. I don’t wish to see you again. Let’s meet on a more positive note.”

Moonbyul stood in the stand; solemn and relieved. She was released and she couldn’t thank God more. But she was surprised at the letter recommendation written by Wheein. She has not seen the lawyer ever since she dropped the appeal case. But yet the woman wrote a letter of recommendation.

“Miss Jung’s letter is the final push for your release. You should thank her.”

But Moonbyul had one last request from her officer.

“Please don’t let her know that I’m released.”

“Why not?”

“I’ll look for her when I’m ready.”

“But what if she asks about you?”

“At that point of time, you let her know. But as for now, just let me leave Seoul for time being.”

Her officer agreed and they had the last handshake. She wished Moonbyul all the best.

“Good luck, Moonbyul.”

“Thank you.”

And that was the last time the officer has heard of her. Moonbyul left Seoul quietly. She left with nothing on her except a photo of Minhyuk and Yongsun. She had some cash left and Moonbyul knew she had to find a job to meet her daily expenses.

So she left Seoul and went southwards. She travelled to Jeonju and settled down there. She had a tough time looking for a job but somehow rather, there was a kind soul who decided to take her in.

“I don’t care about your background. If you’re willing to work hard, I think that would be good enough. I need someone who can do some manual labour job.”

“I can do it.”

“You look rather thin.”

“But I’m stronger than you think.”

“Alright, do you know how to drive or ride a bike?”

“Yes, I have license for both.”

“Very well then. Our restaurant opens at 9am and closes at 9pm. You will assist the cook and sometimes handle deliveries.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Very well then. Do you have a place to stay?”

“No, Sir but I’m looking for one now.”

The old man then grabbed Moonbyul’s bag and urged her to follow him. The woman was cautious but the old man appeared harmless. Soon, she found herself standing in front of a door.

“My daughter stays here. She helps at the stall in the morning but will leave for her part time singing job at the bar. She’s not in now but I’ll explain to her.”

“Ah, is it really okay for me to live here?”

The old man smiled before patting on her shoulders.

“You told me you want to change and start anew. I’m giving you a place to live so that you can save up and move out once you have enough. You can eat at the stall. That will reduce your expenses even more.”

Moonbyul was visibly touched. The old man was not even related to her but yet he was generous enough to help her. She promised she will be paying for the groceries and some expenses if needed. The old man agreed.

-

The room had two beds. One was empty while on the other; stuffed toys were all over the place. It was evident that the owner was a female. She put down her bag next to the empty bed. There was just a pillow and blanket – nothing else. But Moonbyul was not going to complain. At least she had a roof over her head and some place to rest.

She sat on the floor; next to her bag. She looked around wearily. She had arrived in Jeonju a day before and found a job quickly. Moonbyul was grateful for what God had given to her. But yet, her heart still felt uneasy. It was still aching.

“I’m sorry, dear heart. I know you’re missing Yongsun. But I cannot do that to her. She has found someone better.”

Moonbyul’s tears quickly fell. Yongsun’s beautiful face was vivid on her mind. If there was one thing Moonbyul regretted in her lifetime – letting go of Kim Yongsun. She has broken all her promises to the older woman. She could have done better but Moonbyul’s selfless love and stupidity got her caught up in her own perception.

She took out Yongsun’s photo and stared lovingly.

“I saw your smile, Yongsun. You seem really happy with Wheein and Minhyuk. That should be the way. You should be smiling widely like that. I’m just so glad Wheein is there for you.”

While she was reminiscing, another woman was entering the room. Moonbyul was a little shocked at first but nevertheless she stood up and bowed. But the woman didn’t appear surprise. She nodded her head.

“Moonbyul?”

“Eh?”

“Don’t worry. My father has called me earlier on to ask if it was okay for you to share the room with me. I’m really cool about this. I’m hardly home sometimes. You can use the room.”

The woman was a lot shorter than Moonbyul. She had smoky make up on her; it was really thick and heavy but what struck Moonbyul was how exotic she looked. She didn’t seem to look like a typical Korean girl.

“Are you scared of me?”

Moonbyul shook her head but she was indeed intimidated. This woman had this dark aura around her. She wore a body-hugging dress and she had fancy manicure too.  As Moonbyul stared at the woman; the latter just moved around the room, not caring about Moonbyul at all.

Well, that was her room. Suddenly the woman pulled down her dress. She was left in her bra and . Moonbyul was stunned and turned immediately.

“What?”

The shorter woman stared at Moonbyul.

“Er, nothing. I thought it was inappropriate?”

“You’re a woman, right?”

“Yeah.”

“So what’s with the awkwardness? You have what I have.”

Geez, this woman. Moonbyul had to calm herself down. But her reactions were too obvious for the other woman. She grinned as she spoke up.

“Ah, you like women.”

“Excuse me?”

“You’re a lesbian, aren’t you? Just like me.”

“Can you wear something first?”

“I sleep like this.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“You will get used to it. But since it is our first meeting, I shall kick you some slack.”

The woman grabbed her bathrobe and wore it. Moonbyul finally turned when she realized the woman was at least properly covered. Moonbyul’s cheeks were red much to the woman’s amusement.

“You’re cute. Are you attached?”

“Er yeah.”

“Ah, too bad. By the way, my name is Anh Hyejin. You can call me Hwasa. That’s my stage name.”

“Yeh, you already knew my name.”

“Don’t worry about your background. I’m not interested. But I guess you will be working for my father; let’s just click on well.”

Moonbyul nodded. But she knew she would have a hard time getting used to a half- Hwasa walking around the room. Hwasa finally entered the bathroom and Moonbyul could breathe properly.

“My god, this woman is kinda strong.”

Moonbyul somehow knew that this woman would be really an interesting person to live with.

-

Jung Wheein was in deep thoughts. Moonbyul was driving her nuts.

“What kind of game are you playing now?”

She was frustrated and bewildered. She had found out that Moonbyul was released a month ago. Wheein went to visit her at the prison. She wanted to have the last talk with the woman but only to find out she had been released.

“Hang on, how come nobody inform me?”

“She asked not to tell you. Only to tell you when you start looking for her.”

“How long was she been released?”

“About a month ago. I heard she was heading southwards.”

“Gee.”

Wheein wondered if she should inform Yongsun. But recently Yongsun had stopped asking about Moonbyul. The visits stopped few months ago and Yongsun had never mentioned that she wanted to meet Moonbyul anymore.

Wheein couldn’t read Yongsun’s mind. So she approached Mr Kim for assistance. Kim Baek Hon knew Moonbyul would be hiding from them even after she was released. He appeared calm as usual.

“Don’t worry about that, Miss Jung. I’m sure Moonbyul is safe somewhere.”

“I know but how about Yongsun unnie? Should I let her know?”

Mr Kim just smiled and shook his head.

“Just let it be. I think both of them need some time out from each other. Probably one day they will meet again.”

“But ..”

“And I know you like my daughter. Why don’t you confess to her?”

Wheein shook her head and smiled politely. The woman had her own principles.

“First of all, they are still married so technically speaking, they are still together. Yongsun unnie loves Moonbyul. There is no space for me.”

“Well if you don’t try, how would you know?”

Wheein confidently replied.

“Because Kim Yongsun’s heart is only meant for Moon Byul Yi. And that will never change.”

“Alright. I will not say anymore. But just keep it a secret for the time being. I’ll send someone to locate that silly Moonbyul.”

“I will do that too. I think it’s time for her stop playing such stupid games.”

-

Minhyuk was putting his puzzle pieces together in the living room. Yongsun was cooking in the kitchen. The boy had grown taller. Yongsun was watching her son from the kitchen; the boy was concentrating so hard on his puzzle. She smiled as she noticed the similarities between her son and her wife. Not only Minhyuk inherited his mother’s looks; he had also developed the same traits and behavioural pattern just like Moonbyul.

His front teeth had started to grow. He looked like a hamster; just like Moonbyul. Wheein called him Hammie much to her son’s chagrin. But the more Minhyuk resembled his mother, the harder it was for Yongsun to move on.

She wanted to keep these little things close to her. Honestly, Yongsun had wanted to give up a couple of times. Moonbyul was still stubborn since 5 years ago and Yongsun’s patience was running thin. But no matter how painful this could get, Yongsun still yearned for her wife.

Fortunately, Minhyuk was there. He became his mother’s replacement. Yongsun’s only comfort was him – especially when she missed Moonbyul so much and all she needed to do was to hug Minhyuk.

“Omma, are you done cooking? I’m hungry.”

“Eh, yeah. I’m almost done. Go and wash up. I’ll prepare dinner for us.”

“YAY!”

Minhyuk put his puzzle aside and disappeared into his room. Yongsun was putting the dishes on the dining table when Wheein turned up at their doorstep. The woman appeared tired.

“Wheein?”

“Eh?”

“You’re here?”

“Yeah, sorry I was late. I had a lot of work to finish.”

“It’s okay. You’re just in time.”

Wheein smiled and settled down at the dining table. She took a quick glance on the food prepared and grinned widely.

“That’s a lot of food.”

Yongsun frowned. Something was off with this woman.

“You do know why you’re here, right?”

“Me? Here? What?”

“I invited you for dinner.”

“You always do that.”

“Do you realize today’s occasion, don’t you?”

“Am I supposed to know something?”

Yongsun leaned closer and touched Wheein’s forehead. The younger woman looked a little confused. The older woman was a little worried.  But before she could explain, Minhyuk burst into the kitchen with a gift in his hand.

“MOMMY WHEEEEEEEEEINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!”

Wheein was stumped at first but then realized how dumb she was. It was her birthday. Yongsun threw a birthday dinner for her but the woman had too much work. She lost track of time.

“OH MY GOD! THAT’S RIGHT! IT’S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY!”

“You mean you didn’t know?”

Minhyuk was puzzled at her reaction. But instead of replying, she pulled the little boy closer and hugged him tightly. She took the gift from his hand and sat him down on her lap.

“Thank you, Hyukkie!”

“You’re welcome! Don’t you want to open it?”

“It’s still early. Let’s eat first and later we can open the present together.”

“Alright!”

Wheein requested for a big kiss and Minhyuk returned the request willingly. Minhyuk was just like his mother. He was the touchy type of kid. Yongsun smiled as she looked on. Wheein was always so attentive towards Minhyuk.

Yongsun had to admit that Wheein would make a perfect mother. And Minhyuk adores her so much. It was like as though they were just a happy family. This was the kind of moment she wanted with Moonbyul.

Just her, Minhyuk and Moonbyul.

But it was never meant to be. Yongsun wanted to cry but she held her tears. Today was not a day of tears. Today was Wheein’s birthday. It was a happy occasion.

“So what did you cook for me?”

The birthday girl asked quickly.

“Just simple stuff. You know I’m not really a good cook.”

“I will just eat anything you cook. At least you made an effort to do it for me.”

Wheein grinned widely as she gently pulled Yongsun’s nose. The younger woman could get really playful at times. She and Minhyuk used to play pranks on her all the time.

Wheein didn’t wait any longer; she grabbed her plate and scooped the food immediately. Minhyuk was already biting his chicken wing. Her son was a messy eater and Wheein wiped his mouth without hesitation. The woman was attentive to her son.

Yongsun watched as Wheein scooped some soup into Minhyuk’s bowl. The boy insisted to be fed and Wheein willingly allowed herself to be manipulated by the 5 year old boy. Deep down in heart; watching Wheein treating her son like as though Minhyuk is hers; it moved her. There were so many times she was contemplated to give Wheein a chance but the younger woman declined.

“I will persuade Moonbyul to meet you. I promise.”

Yongsun was grateful yet feeling sorry towards Wheein. The younger woman did more than she should have.

“Why are you always in the world of your own?”

Yongsun was startled by the sudden intrusion. She turned to find Wheein smiling widely at her. Minhyuk was done with his dinner and he sat in the living room; trying to complete his puzzle. Wheein was eating her seaweed soup.

Yongsun smiled and shook her head.

“Is it tasty?”

“Yeah, it’s the best.”

“Don’t lie. I’m sure you have tasted better ones.”

“Not really. I don’t really have anyone to cook for me.”

Yongsun stayed still and stared at Wheein. The woman was nonchalant and continued sipping the soup from her spoon. The older woman was watching her when she suddenly realized she hardly knew about Wheein’s past. Suddenly she was intrigued but was unsure if she should pry into Wheein’s past. But the younger woman beat her to it.

“Are you feeling sorry for me?”

“Huh? Not really. I’m just surprised.”

“Wae?”

“You’re so beautiful. I’m sure you had experience in relationships.”

Wheein sighed.  She put her spoon aside before pulling Yongsun closer and sat her down.  She gazed deep down into Yongsun’s eyes and her heartbeat was thumping rapidly. It has been 5 years and the older woman in front of her would still have some effect on her.

“I don’t really have wonderful memories of my past relationships.”

Yongsun’s facial expression turned soft.  And the lawyer continued.

“I was too busy with my work. I didn’t have time for my past girlfriends and boyfriends. So some cheated on me; some left me and most just fell out of love with me.”

“You don’t miss them?”

“Not really but I would say I still miss my very first girlfriend.”

“Oh? Was she beautiful?”

Wheein smiled as she recalled her memories fondly. She came from Jeonju and had the best time of her life in her hometown. She met her first girlfriend in school.

“She’s beautiful. She was like my best friend. We did all things together and literally spent most of our time together.”

“Then what happened? Why did you two break up?”

“We were too young, unnie. I guess we didn’t really understand the meaning of love. So when my parents moved to Seoul, we lost contact. Up till now, I couldn’t find her at her old address. I guess she has moved somewhere.”

Wheein remembered that one time she returned to Jeonju; she went to her ex-girlfriend’s house but to find out that the girl has moved. Nobody knew where the family went.

“I’m sorry to make you upset.”

“Nah, I’m not. I just believe in destiny. If two people are meant to be together, they will always find each other no matter how long or how far the journey would take. And that goes the same for you and Moonbyul. In your hearts, both of you are still very much intertwined together. This is just a test from God.”

“It has been 5 years, Wheein. Minhyuk is already in school. And I have yet to tell him the truth about his mother. I’m not sure how long I should hide it from him.”

Yongsun’s eyes welled up with tears and Wheein sat closer. Without hesitation, she pulled the older woman closer and gently led Yongsun into her arms. The latter wrapped her arms around the shorter woman.

“I will fix this for you. So, please don’t cry. It hurts me to watch you cry and I couldn’t do anything about it.”

“I’m sorry, Wheein ah. I’m spoiling your birthday night.”

Wheein didn’t reply. She just tightened her arms around the older woman as Yongsun relinquished her sorrows on her. Deep down in her heart, Wheein made a promise.

I promise. I will find Moonbyul for you. You will find your happiness one day.

-

“MOONBYUL AH! TABLE 8!”

“YEAH COMING!”

Moonbyul was busy at the restaurant. Patrons came and went. Apparently, the restaurant she was working at was really popular. Lunch time was really packed with people. Hwasa was the cashier today. The younger woman watched as Moonbyul moved swiftly from the kitchen to the counter and attended to new patrons.

She didn’t stop for a second and constantly on the move. Hwasa felt like dying at the counter.

“Hwasa ah, table 5 is leaving.”

The woman nodded as Moonbyul led the patrons to the counter. She managed a quick wink and disappeared back into the kitchen. Hwasa rolled her eyes at Moonbyul before attending to the patrons. The whole lunch hour was so busy that Hwasa could swear that her legs could give way somehow.

Finally, the crowd died out and both Moonbyul and Hwasa could finally settle down. Moonbyul ate her lunch heartily while Hwasa was getting ready for her singing gig at the bar nearby. She watched the woman golfing down her food.

“Ya, you’re going to choke yourself.”

“The food is really good!”

“Of course, my dad is the best cook in this town.”

“Of course he is.”

Moonbyul was biting into her rice cakes as she watched the crowd walking past their restaurant. Dinner time would be equally busy so she took the opportunity to rest well. Suddenly a 5 year old boy walked into the restaurant; he was looking a little confused. Moonbyul was watching him and realized that the boy might be lost. She approached him cautiously.

“Hey.”

She gently called out to him; the boy turned to face her. He was crying.

“Are you lost?”

“Yes, I lost my Mommy.”

“Where did you go just now?”

“I was distracted by the toys at the shop next door. And when I turned, Mommy is gone.”

He started sobbing; probably frightened. Moonbyul went on her knees so that she could be on same eye-level with the little one. She gave him a gentle smile; made the boy felt a little comfortable with her.

“Noona, can you help me?”

“Of course I can. Do you know your Mom’s phone number?”

The boy shook his head and started crying again. At this time, Hwasa was already kneeling next to Moonbyul; pulling the boy closer to her. She was watching the pair since just now.

“Don’t cry. Noona will help you. What’s your name?”

“Minhyuk.”

Moonbyuk was taken aback. She took a second glance at the boy carefully. But she recognized her son because she has seen him. The boy was definitely not Kim Minhyuk.

“Just Minhyuk?”

Hwasa asked again.

“Jang Minhyuk.”

“Ah, okay. Let’s go to the police station nearby. Maybe they can help.”

“Okay.”

Hwasa carried the boy and turned to Moonbyul. The woman was still staring at the boy. She shook Moonbyul gently.

“Are you okay?”

“Huh? Ah, yes.”

“You look after the restaurant for a second. I will help him find his mother.”

“Okay.”

Hwasa left with the boy and Moonbyul watched until both of them disappeared from view. She was still shaken by the boy’s name. It was the same as her son.

Minhyuk. Kim Minhyuk.

She got to see him briefly and it was by chance. She still couldn’t forget Yongsun’s smile when she saw her wife, her son and Wheein together. Her son was hugging Wheein tightly and she could see the closeness between her son and Wheein.

That was a picture of a perfect family. She knew she could never give Yongsun or Minhyuk that happiness they deserve. Wheein was so natural and Moonbyul could picture how close Minhyuk would be with Wheein.

Her heart ached so much. Her love for Minhyuk kept growing despite the fact that she touched his cheeks for just split seconds. With that simple touch, Moonbyul was already falling in love with her 5 year old son.

Of course she wished she could live together with Yongsun and Minhyuk. But she has made a mistake. She ignored Yongsun and denied Minhyuk for the last 5 years. It was a grave mistake that Moonbyul knew she could never undo anymore.

She was glad though that Wheein was with them. That woman proved her point though.

Thank you, Wheein. Thank you for giving my family a chance to live as a happy family.

-

Hwasa was preparing to leave for her singing gig. Moonbyul was closing up the restaurant when Hwasa approached her. She looked different. The hot Hwasa re-appeared again.

“I can never get used with this you.”

“What?”

“You look so smokin’ hot.”

Hwasa winked flirtatiously and Moonbyul shuddered. This woman loves to like that. She gently leaned closer to Moonbyul.

“You want to follow me?”

“Heh?”

“We are closed tomorrow. And you have nothing on. Follow me and watch me sing.”

Moonbyul agreed and so she went home to refresh herself. Hwasa waited for her and when she was ready; the pair went to the bar where Hwasa works.

The place looked a little sleazy and Moonbyul was shocked. Hwasa was working at a dangerous place but that woman was not scared at all.

“I’m used to this place. I’m just here to sing.”

“How long have you been working here?”

“About 3 months?”

“Oh okay.”

“I’ll get ready. You can sit at the bar there. You can drink anything you want. It’s on me.”

Moonbyul nodded and Hwasa disappeared behind the wall. Moonbyul sat at the bar and ordered herself a glass of beer. She looked around and all she could see was erted old men lusting over the female waitresses. Moonbyul was annoyed but she kept her cool.

Soon, Hwasa appeared on the stage and the crowd went boom. Some were whistling like a wolf and some gave creepy looks at Hwasa. Moonbyul was disgusted but she kept eye on them. But Hwasa worked like a pro. She ignored those sleazy old men and started singing.

Moonbyul watched intently as Hwasa belted out her song. Her voice was so unique; it was so melodious and in perfect pitch. Somehow Hwasa reminded her of Yongsun. Her mind wandered back to the first time Yongsun sang to her.

The couple was enjoying their date night at the karaoke bar. Yongsun was choosing her song and Moonbyul was leisurely sipping her wine. Moonbyul was falling in love more and more with Yongsun. That woman had wrapped Moonbyul in her hands. Moonbyul knew she was in trouble when she found it hard to live when Yongsun was not next to her.

She couldn’t tear her gaze away from Yongsun; she grinned from ear to ear when Yongsun finally chose her song. She sat up and paid her attention at Yongsun. The older woman was adjusting her microphone and then looked up. Their eyes met and the smiles on their faces were evident to prove their love for each other.

The song started and Yongsun sang with her melodious voice. (Baby I love you – Tiffany Alvord)

 


There are three words, that I've been dying to say to you
Burns in my heart, like a fire that ain't going out
There are three words, & I want you to know they are true...
I need to let you know

I wanna say I love you, I wanna hold you tight
I want your arms around me & I, want your lips on mine
I wanna say I love you, but, babe I'm terrified
My hands are shaking, my heart is racing
Cause it's something I can't hide, it's something I can't deny
So here I go...
Baby I lo-o-o-ve you

I've never said, these words to anyone, anyone at all
Never got this close, cause I was always afraid I would fall
But now i know, that I'll fall right in-to your arms...
Don't ever let me go

I wanna say I love you, I wanna hold you tight
I want your arms around me & I, want your lips on mine
I wanna say I love you, but, babe I'm terrified
My hands are shaking, my heart is racing
Cause it's something I can't hide, it's something I can't deny
So here I go...
Baby I lo-o-o-ve you

Take it in, breathe the air
What is there to really fear
I can't contain, what my heart's saying
I gotta say it out loud...

I wanna say I love you, I wanna hold you tight
I want your arms around me & I, want your lips on mine
I wanna say I love you, but, babe I'm terrified
My hands are shaking, my heart is racing
Cause it's something I can't hide, it's something I can't deny
So here I go...
Baby I lo-o-o-o-ve you

As Yongsun was singing, Moonbyul kept her eyes on her. She was so beautiful. Yongsun was perfect and Moonbyul wondered what she had done to deserve this woman.

If this is a dream, Moonbyul never wanted to wake up.

If this is love, Moonbyul wanted this feeling to last forever.

If this is paradise, Moonbyul would do anything to keep it alive.

Moonbyul stood up and moved closer towards Yongsun. She was still singing but Moonbyul remained undeterred. She put Yongsun’s arms around her neck as she held Yongsun by her waist. Her love was singing and Moonbyul swayed slowly with the music.

They gazed lovingly at each other. God, Moonbyul wished time would stop and let them trap in this moment forever. So much love; so much feelings; so much emotions and Moonbyul thought she has lost them.

But thank god to this wonderful woman, Moonbyul found them back. As the song slowly faded; Moonbyul didn’t wait another second. She placed her lips on Yongsun’s.

That tender lips; that sweet lip balm and that perfect warmth from Yongsun’s heart – they kept Moonbyul sane. The reasons for Moonbyul to live like a proper person was all because of Kim Yongsun.

“Don’t ever let me go. I don’t think I can live without you.”

Moonbyul’s sincere confession made Yongsun teared up. The older woman pulled Moonbyul closer and their heartbeat started beating as one.

“As long as you’re with me, I will never let you go, Moon Byul Yi.”

-

Moonbyul sighed as memories of Yongsun kept playing on her mind. She missed that woman so much but she had hurt the one she loves so much. Moonbyul couldn’t do that to Yongsun. There was no way she could ever find her way back to Yongsun because the scars she created on the latter.

“I’m sorry, baby. I’m really sorry.”

Suddenly, Moonbyul was awaken from her wandering thoughts as she heard noises on the stage. Hwasa was cornered by some guys and they were shouting at her. Moonbyul stood up and rushed over. She managed to pull Hwasa away from them and stood in front of her. She squared up against the men. They were furious.

“Who the hell are you?!”

“Don’t come near her. I’m warning you.”

“It’s between us and this here.”

Moonbyul looked over her shoulder; Hwasa was crouching behind. She was visibly shaken. That pushed the urge for Moonbyul to protect her. She stood her ground.

“What do you want from her?”

“She has been rejecting our big boss. She insisted she’s just a singer at this bar.”

“She is the singer of this bar.”

“What bull! Doesn’t she know that she has to entertain the guests even if she’s a singer?!”

“Who the hell is your big boss that you think he deserves her?”

Moonbyul knew she has infuriated the men. She was ready to run away. She turned to look at Hwasa and gave her the signal. Hwasa nodded.

But even before she could move; she was caught by two men. Moonbyul knew she couldn’t fight them off because she was on parole. But the look on Hwasa’s face, Moonbyul couldn’t ignore the fact that woman in front of her was terrified.

So Moonbyul unleashed herself. She fought herself against 4 bulky men and of course, she was hurt badly. But Moonbyul’s focus was to protect Hwasa. Fortunately, the bar owner called the police and help came quickly. The owner helped Hwasa and Moonbyul to escape.

“Go. I’ll cover you. I’m sorry I couldn’t save you. You don’t have to work here anymore.”

Those were the bar owner’s last words but Hwasa was keen to protect her and Moonbyul. She nodded and ran away with Moonbyul. Somehow they managed to escape and ran all the way back to their house.

Both were panting hard; Moonbyul was bleeding from her forehead. Hwasa felt guilty but nevertheless managed to smuggle both of them back into the house without her father realizing. She sat Moonbyul on the bed and pulled out her safety first box from her cupboard.

Moonbyul winced in pain when the medicine solution touched her wound.

“OW!”

“Stay still.”

“That hurts!”

“I’m sorry; I’ll be careful.”

Hwasa stuck her tongue out but continue to wash the wound gently. Moonbyul rolled her eyes but stayed still anyway. However Hwasa was keeping silent tonight and Moonbyul was feeling uneasy. She looked up to find Hwasa staring at her.

“What?”

“Why did you do that?”

“What did I do?”

“Why did you try to play hero?”

Moonbyul sniggered but Hwasa was being serious. She sighed before putting her hands on Hwasa’s shoulders.

“You’re like a little sister to me. Your father has given me a place to stay; a job and a salary. You’re his daughter and the least I could do was to protect you.”

“Is this how you got girls to like you?”

“Heh?”

“You know playing hero to a damsel in distress?”

Hwasa knew a little about Moonbyul’s past. But she didn’t know everything. Moonbyul told her about Yongsun but withheld the truth from Hwasa.

“I don’t always play hero.”

“Did you do that for your girl?”

Moonbyul’s eyes turned watery within seconds. What has she done for Yongsun in the first place?

“No, I never did.”

“But you’re a good fighter. The punch you gave to one of them caused him to bleed from the nose.”

Moonbyul kept her silence before removing the band aid from Hwasa’s grasp. She put it on by herself instead. Hwasa was still watching her.

“You know I just got out from jail, right?”

Hwasa nodded.

“But I never told you the reason why I was imprisoned.”

“So why were you?”

Moonbyul took a deep breath and told the younger girl everything. Hwasa was stunned but she remained attentive. She could hear the sad tone from Moonbyul’s voice and she knew Moonbyul was tormented so much.

By the time Moonbyul finished her story, Hwasa was already leaning closer and embraced Moonbyul tightly in her arms. She wiped Moonbyul’s tears away.

“You deserve more. Your woman deserves the same as you. And your son deserves ten times more than you do. It’s not too late to turn back things around. Don’t run away anymore. Confront yourself and take them back.”

“But I don’t deserve them.”

“You’re just too afraid for some things that are not even worth worrying for. She’s your wife. And she loves you. You can never find someone like that in your entire life anymore.”

Moonbyul sniffed but all ears. Hwasa was right. For some reason, Hwasa’s words made sense.

“If you really love this Kim Yong Sun so much, then it’s time for you to prove it to her. If she loves you as much as you do, then she will come back to you.”

-

“Jeonju?”

Jung Wheein managed to track down Moonbyul’s whereabouts. But she was surprised when the private investigator mentioned Jeonju – her old hometown.

“What is she doing there?”

“Apparently she’s working at a restaurant.”

“Oh? Text me the address.”

“Yes Miss Jung.”

Wheein pinched the bridge of her nose. This was not her job. But she was inclined to help Yongsun because of her affections towards the older woman. Her friends have questioned her before.

Was all these efforts worthy?

Wheein could never answer them but she knew they were right. It may seem unworthy but Wheein was genuine in helping Yongsun. She was not hoping for something in kind to be return. She just wanted to see Yongsun smile sincerely for just once.

She pressed for her assistant. She requested to re-schedule her meetings. She needed to make a trip to Jeonju.

“Looks like I have to make a trip back to my old hometown.”

-

“Wae?”

“Hm?”

“Why are you going to Jeonju for?”

“It’s my old hometown. I thought I wanted to visit the place again.”

Yongsun nodded as she poured Wheein a glass of mint tea that she had made earlier on. Minhyuk was sitting on Wheein’s lap.

“Can I come along?”

Minhyuk quipped.

“Hmm? Don’t you have school to attend?”

“We’re having school holiday for a week.”

Wheein turned to look at Yongsun who nodded.

“Really? Then unnie, how about you?”

“I can apply for few days leave. It’s about time for me to take a short break from work.”

Wheein had a quick thought. She wanted to find Moonbyul but she thought it would be better if Yongsun could come along. Then she could just settle this issue for once.

“So, why don’t you apply for a few days leave? I’m leaving on Tues morning.”

“Sure.”

-

“Ya, stop ordering Moonbyul around!”

Hwasa was screaming at her co-workers. Moonbyul got hurt because of her so she was obliged to look out for the older woman. But Moonbyul insisted.

“Seriously? I can still move my arms.”

“I’m the boss.”

“Really?”

“Fine, I’m the small boss. Just take orders and stop carrying those heavy trays around. Let the boys do it.”

Moonbyul raised her arms in exasperation. Hwasa was driving her crazy ever since she injured her arm. It was just a normal sprain but Hwasa took it as though Moonbyul broke her arm or something. Even Mr Anh couldn’t say anything.

“Hwasa ah, you will drive Moonbyul crazy. At least let her do some delivery.”

“She’s injured.”

“Her legs are fine. Besides, she can drive the minivan if you’re so worried about her riding a bike.”

Hwasa shot a disapproving look at her father who shrugged his shoulders immediately. He turned to Moonbyul; surrendering as well.  Moonbyul shook her head but nevertheless approached Hwasa with a big smile.

“Okay, I promise I’ll be back in one piece.”

“Can you drive with your sprain arm?”

“You can call to check on me.”

“Okay fine. Just do those deliveries around this area. The rest, just leave to Seulong.”

Moonbyul broke into a small grin and quickly picked up the delivery boxes. She arranged them neatly in the minivan; Hwasa was helping her out. Once it was all done, Moonbyul pulled Hwasa’s nose gently.

“I’ll be back.”

Hwasa nodded and Moonbyul drove off immediately. Hwasa looked on as the minivan slowly disappeared at the corner. She sighed softly. Honestly, since that night Moonbyul opened up to her; Hwasa couldn’t help but feeling sorry for her.

The woman had done her dues and it was time for her to live happily at least with her family.  She was surprised to learn that Moonbyul was married to another lady and they had a child. The child was genetically belong to Moonbyul but her wife who carried the baby in her womb.

It might have been torturing for Moonbyul’s wife but Hwasa understood why Moonbyul initially wanted to give up on the relationship. She did that for her wife’s sake. Just like what Hwasa did before; she gave up on someone because she knew that person could find better happiness in someone else.

-

Hwasa was 18 years old when she met the love of her life. Hwasa was petrified at first when she discovered her feelings for that other person. And that person wasn’t a boy but a girl. To be precise, she was in love with her high-school best friend.

The pair was always together. They did everything together. It was always crazy and happening whenever they were together and Hwasa knew she was in love with her best friend. But it was confusing at first. They did things a couple would.

They kissed; hugged; had night-overs at each other’s house; they held hands together but they had never expressed their feelings for one another. As much as Hwasa wanted to; she knew it would get crazy if she confessed. The other girl was raised as a Catholic. Such homophobic actions were just a frown upon.

But as they got closer, Hwasa couldn’t deny it anymore. She couldn’t live without the other girl but yet one day, she was approached by her best friend’s mother.

“Please stop doing such things with my daughter. She has to get married to a man and have a family together. I’m not going to tolerate your relationship with her. So stop whatever both of you are doing and I’ll be taking her with me. We’re leaving for Seoul.”

And since then Hwasa stopped everything. She stopped contacting her best friend. She moved house; changed her contact number and got their friends to keep hush about her whereabouts.

To Hwasa, her best friend’s happiness is more important than hers. But what she didn’t knew was – it was so difficult for her to move on. She wanted her best friend more than anyone else. And she couldn’t get over it that easily.

“Good luck, Wheepup. You’ll find better happiness than you can have with me. And I’m sorry.”

-

Wheein decided to drive to Jeonju. It was a better choice and she could take turns with Yongsun if she got tired of driving. Minhyuk was naturally excited about the trip. The last time they went to Jeju Island, Minhyuk was ecstatic. So this time around, it was the same. The boy couldn’t sit still.

“Are we reaching?”

“Kim Minhyuk, we have just left the house like ten minutes ago?”

“Oh, how long more?”

“Maybe another 1-2 hours more?”

“Okay!”

Minhyuk pulled out his ipad and started swiping on the surface. Wheein got him for his birthday and Yongsun reprimanded her for pampering the boy too much. But in Wheein’s defence, the games she downloaded were good for Minhyuk. They were educational games.

Minhyuk enjoyed playing them. Well at least he would keep quiet for the rest of the journey. Yongsun looked over her shoulder and smiled as her son was engrossed with his games. She turned to look at Wheein. The woman was wearing her ridiculous huge shades.

“Are you sure it’s okay for us to tag along?”

“Why not?”

“I thought you’re going to Jeonju for business?”

“You can stay at the hotel or go shopping. My meeting is just for an hour and after that we can just hang out together.”

Wheein gave a quick smile and focused on the road once again. But Yongsun kept her gaze at the woman next to her. There was something in Wheein that made Yongsun comfortable. Somehow it reminded her so much of Moonbyul. Both women gave her a sense of protection – both were dependable.

Moonbyul owned her heart but Wheein saw her at her worst moments. Yet both were remarkable. In her heart, she wished she could keep both.

However her heart wanted Moonbyul the most. Yet the same woman rejected her again and again.

This is crazy.

-

They reached their hotel after the long drive. Wheein was exhausted. It was clearly shown on her face. Yongsun grabbed her luggage; Wheein looked up, confused.

“You need sleep. When will your meeting start?”

“Oh, tomorrow.”

“Great, so now let’s get you some sleep.”

Wheein smiled and Minhyuk was already standing outside their hotel room. Wheein was surprised when she realized they would be sharing the same space. She looked at Yongsun in confusion.

“I know you asked me to book 2 rooms but I think it would be enough for us to stay in one room. There would be an extra bed too.”

“Oh. Then that’s fine. I can sleep on the extra bed.”

Yongsun giggled before she pointed out to Minhyuk. The boy took ownership of the extra bed.

“THIS IS MINHYUK’S BED!”

“YA, THEN WHEN WILL MOMMY SLEEP?!”

Minhyuk replied nonchalantly and innocently.

“You can sleep with Umma!”

The two women just stared blankly at Minhyuk especially Wheein. This boy was up to something but she took a quick glance at Yongsun. The woman was smiling like nothing happened.

“Of course, I can sleep with Mommy Wheein but you cannot squeeze between us.”

“I won’t! I promise!”

Wheein was stunned but Yongsun acted like as though nothing happened. The older woman pulled Wheein along; leaving the younger girl stumped.

What are you trying to do, Kim Yong Sun?!

Jung Wheein, why are you so cute?

-