Deviation 3

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

The club was filled with madness. Yongsun never liked it there. She hates loud music. Wheein is the same. But she had to go alone with the teasing. Hyoyeon was a woman full of mischief.

Yongsun was surprised at Hyoyeon’s popularity. The moment they entered the club, they were treated like royalties. And everyone was screaming for her name.

“DJ HYO! DJ HYO! DJ HYO!”

Yongsun felt like she was in a cult or something. Wheein was amused at her ex-girlfriend’s popularity. Thank god, she wasn’t her girlfriend anymore. The amount of insecurity she might have.

“DJ HYO! DJ HYO!”

“What’s up everyone!?!?!?!?!?!”

“HYO! HYO! HYO!”

“Tonight is a special night for me! I’m back from my world tour and I finally got to meet my special person whom I regretted letting go.”

Hyoyeon made a sad face and the crowd went aww. Yongsun rolled her eyes and Wheein was prepared to run and hide. Yongsun was convinced, Hyoyeon was a cult leader.

But she was got even furious when Hyoyeon gestured to their table; a spotlight on Wheein and Hyoyeon openly declared her affection for Wheein. Wheein was dying of embarrassment and Yongsun was dying to kill Hyoyeon.

The crowd went crazy and Hyoyeon started her magic. To be honest, her DJ skills were admirable; and she was spinning some good old Korean pop songs. Wheein looked on; with a huge smile on her face. She was somehow proud of her ex-girlfriend. Yongsun pouted silently.

“Unnie?”

“Hmm?”

“Why?”

“What why?”

“Why are you looking so glum?”

Wheein finally focused her attention on Yongsun. She purposely had neglected Yongsun earlier on. It was Hyoyeon’s idea. She wanted to make Yongsun green with jealousy and Wheein could see it was working.

But now, she felt sorry for Yongsun and decided not to torment her further. But Yongsun was pissed. She didn’t answer. She looked away; still wondering whether the crowd was on drugs or something. They were uncontrollable. Anyway, she diverted the question.

“Are clubs always this crazy?”

“Yeah, most of the time. They are probably intoxicated.”

“I thought they belong to a cult or something.”

The sarcasm from Yongsun made Wheein giggled. It was clear to her that Yongsun did not like Hyoyeon at all. Wheein grinned before she reached out for Yongsun’s hand. She squeezed tightly.

“Are you feeling uncomfortable?”

“Not really. I was just adjusting to the crazy atmosphere.”

“If you don’t like it, we can head somewhere less noisy.”

“And leave your EX-GIRLFRIEND behind?”

Yongsun rolled her eyes; not realizing how much she was showing to Wheein.

“What’s wrong with Hyoyeon unnie? I think she’s nice.”

“You think?”

“Yeah, I mean I dated her before. She’s always that gentle, soft but funny and sometimes can go crazy over little things. But she has a good sense of humour and makes me laugh most of the time. I like her a lot.”

“So, you like someone who can make you laugh?”

“Who doesn’t?”

True, who doesn’t? Someone with a sense of humour would definitely make a perfect lover.

“Yeah, that’s right. I guess, I can see why you still like her.”

“Unnie, what’s wrong? You’re very fidgety tonight and a little tad aggressive over Hyoyeon unnie. Is there something bothering you?”

Yongsun bit her lip. She sighed loudly. But she refused to answer Wheein.

“I think I better leave. I’ll head home alone.”

“No, Unnie. I’m coming along with you.”

“No, it’s okay. Hyoyeon unnie will probably start to worry if she doesn’t see you around.”

“Unnie, it’s fine. I can go with you. Give me a minute. I will let her know we’re leaving.”

Yongsun didn’t say anything; simply grabbed her things and went off. Wheein quickly made her way to Hyoyeon.

“Unnie! She’s extremely jealous and she’s hating you and your cult!”

“My cult?”

Wheein pointed to the crazy crowd.

“Ah, right.”

“I’ll go after her.”

“Okay, go. Text me later for the good news. Make sure you get her tonight!”

“Fine, fine. Bye Unnie and thanks!”

-

They walked side by side. Yongsun was awfully quiet and somehow lost in her own world. Wheein was watching her right from the beginning of their walk. They were walking towards Han River. The walk was less tense; not cult; not intoxicated humans and no loud music. It was peaceful; filled with tranquillity and serenity.  It was perfect. A perfect time to confess.

Yongsun stole glances at Wheein whenever the younger woman was looking elsewhere. Wheein’s side profile was something Yongsun had never discover before. She has recently dyed her hair blue and it was longer than the first time she met Wheein.

She couldn’t help but feeling awed with Wheein’s beauty. She’s a smart person; a reputable lawyer and someone with the warmest heart Yongsun ever met. Moonbyul has long left her mind; the woman just refused to have anything to do with Yongsun. Yongsun decided it was enough and she was ready to let go.

But she had one problem. Kim Minhyuk. She has a son; and Wheein’s single. She could have a better choice; she could have met someone better than Yongsun. This Kim Yongsun is a woman with emotional baggage and many other problems that she has carried with her since she married Moonbyul.

She had never regretted her marriage. But she regretted not giving her all; her best to it; to the people involved in her marriage especially her son, Minhyuk. So, how could she allow someone like Wheein to resume responsibilities of her son?

“What are you thinking of now?”

Wheein finally broke the silence. They were walking for the last half an hour with no words.

“Many things.”

“Do you mind sharing with me?”

“One of the many thoughts is you.”

“Me? What’s wrong with me?”

Yongsun finally stopped. She found some stone seats and settled down. Her feet were aching. Wheein sat next to her. They were facing the river.

“Wheein, have you ever fallen in love?”

“Yes, I do.”

“I mean really really falling in love with someone and willing to do anything for that person.”

“Oh, I haven’t really gotten a chance to experience such relationship.”

“Hyoyeon unnie?”

Wheein laughed softly.

“Hyoyeon unnie is not my first love. Or rather, most of my relationships didn’t even last more than a year. People came and went. Either they were too busy; I was too busy, or we just couldn’t bother at all.”

“Then why me? Why suddenly you wanted to be with me?”

“Good question.  I wanted to answer that too.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

Wheein took a deep breath before pausing. It looked like she was arranging her thoughts or answers but Yongsun was eager to know. She wanted to know why.

“I guess, this time, I couldn’t find an answer as to why I wanted to be with you. I just knew that I wanted to stay with you; taking care of you and giving you the best of myself and the world.”

“But I have a son.”

“I love Minhyuk, Unnie. I have never felt like that towards anyone or anybody’s child before. I mean, Minhyuk drew me closer to him every single day. His smile; his cries; his presence – I just wanted to protect him. Initially, I thought I was feeling sorry for him; I thought I pitied him but as days went by, I found myself wanting to hold Minhyuk to sleep. I didn’t care if he looks so much like his biological mother. He’s innocent, Unnie.”

“You suddenly became an instant mom.”

“Well, isn’t that great? I have always wanted to have a child. I was even thinking of adopting one myself. But I didn’t have a chance. Now, I do.”

“But..”

“Unnie, Minhyuk is not a burden. He’s a gift to you like how you’re a gift to me. The first time I met you, I felt pity. I thought you were going through so much, yet you stayed loyal to Moonbyul. Unfortunately, that person could never understand your efforts. And I know you love her. You love her so much. And I probably could never get that kind of affections from you like how she got it from you. But I don’t care about that.”

Wheein paused before she continued.

“I just wanted a chance to look after you. A chance to be next to you; making you proud of me; allowing me to love you and make you understand that I’m serious about you.”

She took Yongsun’s hand and squeezed tightly.

“And even if one day, you still feel that we’re not meant to be; then I’ll let go.”

“But you’ll get hurt.”

“But at least I’ve tried.”

“You’re crazy, Jung Wheein.”

“I have always been.”

Wheein smiled before turning her attention back to the river. Yongsun was staring at her from the side. She knew her heart has fallen but her mind was afraid. She was terrified.

Giving love another chance – it could just mean two things. Getting hurt or having the best of everything. But Yongsun had gone through so much.

Of course, fear triumphs over love.

Yet, she couldn’t shake it off. She couldn’t look past her insecurities, yet she wanted to have someone who would love her more than she could love anyone else.

She glanced down to Wheein’s free hand. She had the strongest urge to grab Wheein’s hand and hold on tightly. But she hesitated.

How was she going to do this?

Nevertheless, she plucked enough courage and was about to reach out for Wheein’s hand when someone suddenly appeared in front of them. Yongsun rolled her eyes.

“WHEEIN!”

“Unnie?! What are you doing here?!”

“Are you done dating Yongsun? Let’s grab supper!”

“WHOA!”

Kim Hyoyeon, the cult leader re-appeared and grabbed Wheein’s hand instead. She was dragging Wheein with her; leaving Yongsun bewildered.

“YONGSUN! FOLLOW US! HURRY!”

Yongsun was annoyed beyond words.

She could crush Kim Hyoyeon tonight.

-