Sequel 17

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Minhyuk whined in his sleep and Yongsun was quick enough to be by his side. She was sleeping next to him. She gently swept his fringe back and stared lovingly at her son's face.

He is the exact replica of Moonbyul and everything about this boy reminded her of Moonbyul. 

"Minhyuk ah, what should we do? Do you really hate her? She gave you life. She gave you to me. She suffered alot too. But we both were just plain stupid not to do anything about this or you. Please forgive us, baby."

Yongsun gently kissed her son's forehead. She was at loss. Moonbyul was one individual that Yongsun could never erase from her mind. She knew it was redundant to pretend but Yongsun would do anything her son wanted her to.

Unknown to her, Minhyuk was awake. He listened attentively to his mom's words. He wasnt too sure how he should react. So he just kept still with his eyes closed. 

He felt his mother kissing his forehead before pulling him closer. He grew up with his Yongsun omma all this while. And Mommy Wheein was there with him too. To accept another woman as his mother was too confusing for him. He didnt like the change.

But hearing his Omma’s words hurt him. He kept unmoved as he didn’t want to startle his mother. His eyes were closed shut before he felt movements behind him. His mother was getting up from his bed and probably left for the bathroom. Minhyuk waited until he was certain his mother was gone. He then turned over and stared at the door. 

5 year old Kim Minhyuk was absolutely confused. Why couldn’t he just have a proper family with a mother and a father just like his other friends? He sighed as he tried to understand the situation his family was facing. Nevertheless, he got out from his bed and gingerly walked to his door. 

The living room was in darkness. His mother’s room was open but the lights were off. So he deduced that his mother was probably in the kitchen. He tiptoed his way to the kitchen and there she was. Yongsun was sitting at the bar counter with a wine glass in her right hand. He frowned. Minhyuk knew his mother hardly drinks.

But he hid behind the counter and sat there in silence. He could hear whimpers and sniffles; that was just telling him that his mother was crying. Mommy Wheein was nowhere in sight too. It was just him and his mother. Just then, he heard a door opened and feet shuffled towards the kitchen immediately. He knew who that person was – Mommy Wheein.

“Unnie? Why are you drinking?”

“Wheein ah, drink with me.”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m perplexed. I don’t know what I should do with Moonbyul and Minhyuk.”

“Minhyuk still dislikes the idea? Have you spoken to him?”

Yongsun shook her head. She was unable to open to tell her son the truth. Wheein looked on; she felt sorry for Yongsun. But she herself had so much thoughts on her mind.  Her mind kept going back to Hwasa’s truthful confession. 

“What are we doing with our lives, unnie?”

“I have no idea, Wheein. I regretted not telling Minhyuk everything. I have never thought that this would hurt him greatly.”

Yongsun paused before taking another sip. Wheein kept a watchful eye on her. Yongsun isn’t really the best drinker but she knew Yongsun needed it. 

“Since Minhyuk was born, my world was so focused on him. I wanted to protect him from everything. He’s my everything. I carried him in me. No doubt he’s Moonbyul’s flesh and blood. But he came from me.”

Yongsun started sobbing and Wheein came closer. She pulled the older woman into her arms and hugged her tightly. She nodded and shed tears as well. She was there when Yongsun went through her difficult pregnancy. The older woman almost lost Minhyuk but she didn’t. 

“I didn’t want him to know the truth about his parentage. I just wanted to protect him from all the bad things in this world. I didn’t mean to lie to him. Moonbyul went through a lot as a child. She had the worst childhood.”

Yongsun’s eyes were swollen and red. Her heart ached as she recalled her father’s words. Moonbyul was innocent but she grew up with so much hatred and disdain that she never knew the truth about his family. 

“Her family got murdered right in front of her eyes. She was only 10, Wheein.  A 10-year-old girl watched her family got shot in front of her eyes.”

Wheein gasped. Minhyuk was stunned. 

“It must be terrible for her.”

Wheein was feeling sorry for Moonbyul. 

“Moonbyul mentioned to me before. If we ever had a child, she would protect him or her with her life. She would never want her child to go through what she did. That was the reason why I never gave up on her during that initial years of her imprisonment. I wanted her to know that I wanted to protect her and our baby. She didn’t have to carry the burden to herself. I wanted to tell her that no matter what rock or mountain that stood our way, we will go around it together.”

Yongsun wiped her tears away.

“But mistakes have been made. And it was difficult for both of us. In fact all of us including you because you loved me but never acted on it. Wheein, honestly I wanted to give us a chance. I wanted to be with you because Minhyuk has grown comfortable with you. You made a great mother to him but my heart just wanted that one person.”

“I know. But you don’t have to apologise. Things just happened. And I have always believed that it happened for a reason.”

“But Minhyuk, what am I going to tell him? How can I be selfish with my heart when my happiness is struggling with the truth? I will always put him first, Wheein ah. He’s the reason why I can live my life till now.”

“Then tell him the truth, unnie. Tell him everything. He may be young but Minhyuk is a smart boy. He probably couldn’t really understand the moment of truth for now but Minhyuk cares about you more than anyone else. He may be 5 but he knows his Umma has been given him the best of her.”

“I cannot put him through this, Wheein.”

“I understand. But what are you planning to do?”

Yongsun shook her head.  She was perplexed. She was confused and lost. One is the love of her life and the other is the utmost reason for her to live her life. It was painful for her.

And the little one bit his lower lip. He was hidden away from the two women who never realized that the boy was listening to their conversation. Hearing his mother’s quivering voice wasn’t really easy for him. 

How much has she suffered? How long more could he bear to let his Umma be hurting? The boy seemed to have made up his mind. He crawled away slowly and went back to his room. He sat on his bed; pulling his Teddy Bear. He looked at the bear intently. This was given by his mother ever since he was born. He turned the bear over.

“ILY YS” – those words were embroidered on the bear. Minhyuk never really thought of it until now.  This bear was probably given to his Umma by his other mother – his own flesh and blood mother, Moonbyul. 


-

Hwasa stood near the river bank. Her heart was never at ease since her last confession to Wheein.  The woman hadn’t return her calls or messages. She must be in complete loss. Hwasa too. She felt stupid. And she really wanted to turn back the hands of time. She stared blankly into the horizon; the dark grey clouds were slowly hovering over her.

Tears fell from the corner of her eyes.  Why did she leave Wheein behind when she knew her heart couldn’t deal itself without hers? What the hell was she supposed to do now?

“Wheein ah”

She whispered in despair. If there was a chance to turn it around, she would never let Wheein’s hand go. She would confess and then keep Wheein closer to her side. 

But those what ifs were just regrets now. Hwasa knew she had lost Wheein the moment Wheein walked away from her last night. There was no expression on the woman’s face but Hwasa could sense Wheein was confused. She didn’t even turn back to look at Hwasa again; she just walked away.

Wheein’s back was a painful sight for Hwasa.  She missed seeing Wheein’s back. She used to admire it when they were still in school.

Hyejin was sitting on the bench; watching Wheein playing frisbee with their classmates. Hyejin hurt her ankle so she was advised to rest and not taking part during the physical education classes. The girl was bored to death.  Just then, Wheein popped up in front of her. 

“Hyejin ah, are you bored?”

“Kinda.”

“Oh? Why didn’t you call me?”

“You love PE lessons, Wheein. This is the only time you will be extremely active in school.”

“Well, I can stay with you.  I rather accompany you.”

Wheein took her seat beside Hyejin. Their hands intertwined and moments like these sometimes confused Hyejin all the time. Are they lovers? Are they sharing something intimate with each other?

Wheein’s small hand engulfed in hers. She was protective and although Wheein was a little smaller; she seemed to be one who towered over Hyejin all the time. Her mannerisms and her actions were a little mannish and Hyejin enjoyed the attention Wheein would give her. They held hands tightly and Wheein playfully winked at Hyejin. 

Hyejin secretly adored these moments. She was sure about her impending feelings for Wheein but she wasn’t sure if Wheein felt the same for her. Wheein was always being playful all the time. 

“Hyejin ah.”

Wheein suddenly called out to her adoringly. That dimple was such a killer and Hyejin would often melt at the sight of Wheein’s smile. 

“Hmm?”

“Will we stay like this before?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I don’t want to lose this feeling of spending time together. I’m always enjoying my time with you. You make me feel at ease; composed and peaceful. There’s nobody else who can make me smile so effortlessly. Your warmth always makes me feel like I’m invincible.”

Hyejin’s heart melted instantly. Wheein’s sudden confession made her feel like she’s at the top of the world. She smiled widely before squeezing Wheein’s hand gently.

“That’s really sweet to hear such confession from you.”

“I feel like we’re in love.”

Hyejin was slightly stunned but she kept her cool. She chuckled softly and turned Wheein over to face her. Wheein’s eye smiles were perfect. Hyejin placed her palms on Wheein’s cheeks. Her heart beat rapidly banged against her chest. 

“Are we?”

“I’m not sure. I wish I was a guy though.”

“Why is that so?”

“Then I can date you freely.”

Hyejin understood Wheein’s concern. Both are Catholics and they attended the same religious classes. Homophobic is strongly disallowed in their religion. 

“We are best friends now. I think that’s good enough, right?”

“I guess so. But sometimes I feel like kissing you.”

“Ya, Wheein ah, are you taking advantage of me?”

Wheein grinned before she leaned closer and kissed Wheein on her nose. Then Wheein took off; as she ran around Hyejin like a happy child. Hyejin looked on with a smile on her face. Wheein’s back was facing her; she never realized how beautiful Wheein’s back was. 

Hyejin ran towards Wheein and hugged her from the back. She rested her right cheek on Wheein’s back. It was soft and squishy; Wheein’s body warmth was so inviting. Hyejin really wanted to hold on to Wheein tightly. For some reason, that became her favourite part of Wheein. 

“Jung Wheein, no matter what happens, stay with me.”

Wheein smiled and nodded. She hooked her pinky finger with Hyejin.

“Anh Hyejin, don’t you dare leave me alone. No matter what happens, we should always stand together.”

Yet, despite that, Anh Hyejin chose to leave quietly. And that was something Hyejin regretted the most. Hwasa wanted to kill herself. 

-

Moonbyul stood behind the big oak tree. The children were having their play time. She spotted Minhyuk sitting around again. And she wondered if the boy was sick. He looked sullen and almost lifeless. It was like as though this boy was a complete different child from the first time she met him on the beach.

Moonbyul knew it was her fault. She was the reason why Minhyuk lost his colours. And she hated it so much that she wished she didn’t make that terrible stupid mistake. Then suddenly a baseball hit her forehead. She almost cursed but realized it was thrown at her on purpose. She looked up to find Minhyuk glaring at her. 

The boy had spotted her while she was self-blaming herself. The boy came closer and Moonbyul knew she couldn’t run anymore. She wasn’t going to be a coward. She waited nervously and as soon as Minhyuk reached her side; he threw himself at her.  He hit her in the stomach.

“What are you doing here?”

The boy was pissed. And Moonbyul couldn’t blame him. She came uninvited.

“I just wanted to see you.”

“Haven’t you done enough harm to me and Umma? Why are you still here?”

The glare in her son’s eyes were telling Moonbyul that she had to do more to win him over. Despite him being just 4 years old, Moonbyul knew her son is a smart boy.

“Minhyuk ah, I know I have done a big mistake. And I know you’re angry with me.”

“Yes I do. You hurt Umma.”

Moonbyul nodded. She was guilty of that.

“Yes, I hurt her. I’m a bad person for hurting her. But I have never stopped loving her.”

“How could you love and hurt someone at the same time?”

Moonbyul couldn’t answer him. 

“Umma still loves you.”

Moonbyul immediately looked up. 

“Umma purposely lied about her condition. She was hurting so much. She wanted to see if you are sincere towards her. If you love her, you should go and win her back.”

“Minhyuk?”

“Even though I am angry at you, I love Umma the most. Umma is still crying and Minhyuk doesn’t know that Umma has been crying all these years because of you. Mommy Wheein has been by her side but it wasn’t enough. Umma still wants you.”

Moonbyul’s heart was aching so badly. The truth was killing her.  She was desperately wished she could just turn everything around. She wanted to undo the pain Yongsun had accumulated over these years.

“I look a lot like you. Umma must have been hurting every time she sees me. How can you just hurt Umma like that? You don’t love her as much as she does, right?”

“Maybe I don’t but I’m going to change everything. Minhyuk ah, even if it is going to take 10 or 20 years to win you over, I will try everything and continuously doing so. I have wasted 5 years not being with you. I have hurt your Umma for so long. I promise I will undo everything. We can start all over again as a family. If you are willing to let me to.”
Moonbyul was hopeful when Minhyuk nodded his head. He looked away before letting out a soft sigh. He recalled his Umma’s words last night and it still made him felt lousy.  His Umma has been protecting him from everything so he knew he had to give this woman in front of him a chance.

He looked up slowly; and Moonbyul’s eyes were tearing up. He then gestured her to come closer and Moonbyul lowered herself to meet her son’s eyes. Moonbyul saw his dimples at the corner of his mouth – on both sides. Yongsun has them. I mean it was impossible because there was no blood relation between Yongsun and Minhyuk but Moonbyul probably preferred to believe that their relationship was special.

Indeed it was. Minhyuk was biting his lower lip before he leaned closer to his mother.  He has decided. Probably it was the best for all of them. 

“Umma loves you. And Minhyuk feels like you love her as much as well. And Minhyuk wants Umma to be happy.”

He paused for a second. Moonbyul somehow knew where this conversation was heading to but she waited. She wanted to give her son the authority to rule her life somehow.

“Go tell Umma that you still love her. She’s pretending not to remember you. You must pretend like you don’t know either. Go win her heart again. After you do, then Minhyuk will forgive you.”

Moonbyul cried immediately. She wanted to pull Minhyuk closer but she felt it was too early to do so. The boy was apprehensive and was a little distant now. But she was glad that the boy was willing to give her the opportunity to win Yongsun’s heart again.

“Thank you, Minhyuk ah.”

“And promise Minhyuk you will find someone for Mommy Wheein too.”

Moonbyul nodded. She already had someone in mind. 

“Mommy Wheein deserves to be happy too. She has been taking care of me and Umma. So promise Minhyuk that you will put everything in place. Then Minhyuk will forgive you.”

“I promise.”

“But for now, Minhyuk will still call you Noona. And don’t tell Umma or anyone about this. Good luck, Noona.”

Without letting Moonbyul say anything, Minhyuk took off and ran back to his classroom. He didn’t even turn back to look at her but Moonbyul was relieved that the boy was giving her a chance. At least he acknowledged her presence. 

“Minhyuk ah, Mommy promised. I will put everything in place. I will find happiness for your Umma and your Mommy Wheein because that would be the best thing I should do for them now.”

Moonbyul smiled widely.