Chapter 18

An Alpha's Struggle

Cory stood on the rock by the now frozen lake, being in his thoughts. Tomorrow was Jin's birthday and Kihyun and the others had gone to get food for the barbecue, and Jimin wanted a snowball fight afterwards. Being alone and in his thoughts helped him and his anger problems, but it also kept his mind from thinking about home. He could truly relax when he was alone.

"Alone again hyung?" Came Kisu's voice as he walked over. "Mm," said Cory as he turned to look at Kisu. "You're back already?" He asked. "Thought you'd be there til Christmas," he said. "Nah," said Kisu as he climbed onto the rock to stand beside Cory. "Couldn't leave our alpha by himself now," he said. "Did Hui come back too?" Asked Cory. "He'll be back in a couple days," said Kisu. "He wasn't ready to head back yet," he said. "Mm," said Cory.

"How long have you been out here anyway?" Asked Kisu. "A few hours," Cory said with a shrug. "I'm not cold so," he said. "Well, I mean our body temperatures are higher than a human's so," Kisu said with a shrug. "Mm," said Cory. "When are you going to talk to Youngjae about your relationship with him?" He asked. "Tomorrow, after the barbecue," said Kisu.

"You've been extra quiet lately, what's up?" He asked. "I can feel myself relapsing," Cory said as he looked down at his feet. "I don't know how long I can hold it off until it happens," he said. "It's a good thing I came back early then," Kisu said, his expression turning serious. Cory nodded. "It seems being homesick has pushed it to the front," he said, sighing as he sat down. "We can't do much about that," said Kisu. "I know," said Cory as he leaned back on his hands, stretching out his legs.

"I sent you to bring him home, not spend the rest of the day out here," came Kihyun's voice as he walked over. "Sorry Kihyun," said Kisu as he chuckled some. "Lost track of time," he said.

"I needed the day to try and not relapse," Cory grumbled in Korean as he sighed. "You've been here all day hyung, let's go home," Kisu said in Korean. Cory turned to Kisu before nodding and getting up, hopping down. Kisu hopped down beside him and walked back to the house with Kihyun.

"Kihyun," said Kisu as he nodded for Cory to go ahead. "What's up?" Asked Kihyun. "I've only been gone for a month and Cory's relapsing," said Kisu as he turned to Kihyun. "What the hell happened?" He asked. "Nothing, he's been calm the past month," said Kihyun. "No nightmares, nothing," he said. "He must've been starting to relapse recently because everyone kept an eye on him," he said. "He always talks about home, I guess to keep his mind from thinking about the anger," he said. Kisu nodded.

They entered the house after Cory, going into the kitchen. Jimin went and dragged Cory into Changkhyun's room to have a private talk. "Just to be completely sure," said Kihyun as he went to start on dinner. "You do know what to do when he relapses?" He asked. Kisu nodded. "I do," he said. "When nothing else works anyway," he said. "There are other ways to snap him out of it?" Asked Kihyun. "Keeping eye contact, speaking in Korean, reminding him that he's home, ya know, what I've been doing when he's had nightmares," said Kisu as he helped Kihyun with dinner.

"Though," said Kisu as he paused in cutting vegetables before continuing, "don't be surprised if his voice changes a little." Kihyun blinked. "When Cory changed his name, it was more to not show weakness," said Kisu. "A way to keep his anger in check," he said. "His human name is more of a way to stop himself from doing what he had done years ago," he said. "With Jeonguk's mate?" Asked Kihyun. Kisu nodded, his expression going blank.

Jimin and Cory came out of Changkhyun's room before dinner, done with their talk. They headed into the kitchen. ""What's for dinner?" Asked Jimin. "Pasta," said Kihyun as he looked up. "We got a side of vegetables to go with it and some chicken," he said. "Mm," said Jimin. Cory hummed in response before he went into the livingroom to relax a bit before dinner and watch a movie on TV.

"How is he?" Kihyun asked Jimin. "Fine," said Jimin. "He told me about relapsing, so I convinced him to come sleep with us tonight," he said. "Do you know what to do when he wakes up from the nightmares?" Asked Kisu. Jimin nodded. "He told me what to do if it happens," he said.

"Dinner!" Kihyun called and everyone came to get dinner before going into the livingroom to watch the movie that Cory had put on TV. "What are we watching again?" Asked Namjoon as he sat in the recliner. "Erm, The Great Wall I think," said Cory. "I didn't pay much attention to the title so," he said, shrugging. "Cool," said Kisu.

After dinner Cory was left to his own devices on the love seat for a bit as they changed the movie to another movie after it ended. Namjoon stood up, stretching as he did so after that movie ended. "I'm going to bed," he said, reaching behind him and scratching his back before making his way down the hall and into Jimin and Kihyun's room. Youngjae, Jooheon and Kisu were next, going into their room to get some sleep.

Kihyun and Jimin got up from the couch, walking over to Cory. "Cory," said Jimin, causing Cory to look up at Jimin with a tilt of his head. "It's bed time," he said, his head tilting to the side. "Oh," said Cory as he got up, stretching. "Let's go then," he said before leaving the room and going to Changkhyun's room. Kihyun and Jimin exchange glances before following after Cory.

Jimin lay sandwiched between Cory and Kihyun, Jimin hugging a sleeping Kihyun from behind while Cory hugged Jimin from behind. "Jimin," mumbled Cory. "Mm?" Asked Jimin. "I don't want to relapse," Cory muttered before burying his face in Jimin's back. "I know you don't," Jimin mumbled as he sighed. He removed one of his arms from Kihyun and rubbed one of Cory's arms. "You'll be alright," he muttered. "I know you will," he said. He waited until Cory's breathing evened out as he fell asleep before falling asleep himself, burying his face into Kihyun's back.