Chapter 10

An Alpha's Struggle

Cory was left to his own devices as Jimin needed time to himself. Kisu looked out for his fellow pack member and alpha, making sure he was okay. Kihyun even looked out for Cory as a few weeks passed. Daehyun and Yoongi had left to go home, and Namjoon was sent out on a mission again.

"Heard from Hui yet?" Cory asked Kisu as they walked through the forest to head to the lake. "Not really," said Kisu as he put his hands in his pockets. "I even had Jimin call Sungcheol to make sure Joshua's group was okay," he said. "They had a long term mission in Europe, they didn't have access to their phones," he said. "I don't know where Hui went after that," he said. "Wait, isn't Joshua's pack in Boston? Why'd he go to New York?" Asked Cory as he paused. Realization hit Kisu as he blinked, turning to Cory. "Something must've happened," he said. "Let's not worry about it yet," said Cory as his expression went blank. "You have to remember, Hui disappears for months before coming back," he said.

"Why are you always coming out here anyway?" Asked Kisu as they reached the lake. "To pay my respects," said Cory as he went to the four graves, which had fresh flowers on them already from Jimin. "Oh, right," said Kisu as he walked over to the graves to stand beside Cory.

"We didn't know any of them, and yet here we are paying our respects," said Kisu as he knelt down and brushed his fingers over each of the names on the crosses. "It's the best we can do," said Cory as he stood behind Kisu. "They may have answers to questions we don't even have answers for," he said. "Mm," said Kisu as he moved away.

Cory moved forward and bent down to brush his fingers over the names. "It's a shame death came to these people," he said. "They were good people," said Kisu. "Sometimes even good people have to die," he said. "Like Jeonguk's mate," Cory mumbled with a sigh as he moved away. Kisu cringed.

"It wasn't your fault hyung," he said in Korean, putting a hand on Cory's shoulder. "I still feel like it is sometimes," Cory said in Korean as he turned away. Kisu turned Cory to where they were face to face. "Look at me Joohyun," he said, forcing Cory to look at him. "None of this was your fault," he said, keeping both hands on his shoulders. "None of it, okay?" He asked. When Cory nodded Kisu let him go, walking over to the lake to give Cory some space. Cory stared at the graves like he was going to get some answers to internal questions for a long time before going to join Kisu by the water.

They were there for a few hours, just enjoying the silence when they heard Jimin approach with Kihyun. "You two alright?" Asked Jimin. "We're fine," said Cory as he turned to Jimin. "You were out here all day," said Kihyun as he studied Cory with a tilt of his head. "Sorry," said Cory as he scratched the back of his head. "I needed some time to think, and I guess we got side tracked," he said.

"Cory," Kihyun said carefully. "Are you sure you're alright?" He asked. "I'll be fine," said Cory as he looked at Kihyun. "He'll be fine," said Kisu as he turned to Kihyun. Kihyun nodded. "Just being sure," he said. "Hui's back by the way, he returned about an hour after you guys left," he said. "Cool," said Cory. "Let's go see him then," he said before he started walking back. Jimin ran after him, though Kihyun and Kisu were hesitant on doing so. "Go ahead you two!" Shouted Kihyun. "We'll be after you in a bit," he shouted. "Got it!" Jimin shouted back.

Kihyun turned to Kisu. "I saw that haunted look in his eyes," he said. "What were you guys talking about?" He asked. "We paid our respects to the 4 graves," said Kisu. "And he was reminded of something that happened years ago," he said. "It's not my place to talk about it, I didn't join them until after everything happened," he said. "Whatever happened he still feels guilty about, and what took him so long to gain his confidence as alpha again," he said. "He was alpha before?" Asked Kihyun. "When I joined yes, but Jeonguk became alpha shortly after I joined," said Kisu as he started walking back. Kihyun walked after him.

Hui took one look at Cory before going to hug him. "You'll be alright, it wasn't your fault," he said in Korean. "Thanks Hui," Cory mumbled in Korean before he moved away. Jimin was missing something he knew, but he didn't pry on the matter. He figured it was something between themselves as a pack so he didn't bother to pry into a tender moment between pack members.

"Well, let's go, we're having a movie night!" He said to lighten the mood. Cory turned to Jimin and smiled. "Let's get to watching the movies! Which one are we watching tonight?" He asked. "Your choice Cory," said Jimin before he ran inside. Cory chuckled and went inside to pick out a movie. Hui chuckled and walked in after them. Kihyun and Kisu arrived and took their places in their usual spot, with Hui in the recliner. Cory picked out the Resident Evil movies and lay on the love seat, his feet hanging off one end, his mind somewhere else.

"Cory," said Kihyun when the movies ended. "You want to sleep out here or?" He asked as he walked over to Cory. The others had already gotten up to go to bed. "I'll go room in your room tonight," mumbled Cory as he got up, stretching. "You sure?" Asked Kihyun. Cory nodded. "I'll keep an eye on him," said Hui as he walked over. "I just need to be by myself tonight," said Cory. "Alright," said Kihyun as he went into Changkhyun's room where Jimin was getting ready for bed. Cory and Hui headed into Kihyun's room.