008

My Lucky Strike

“Your noona still has it.” Haechan nodded as they started to eat, Mark watched as his sister spoke with their father cheerfully, while the elder just shook his head at her.

“Look at her,” Johnny nudged Mark. Jinhee was stalking back to the house, furiously typing on her phone.

Eunbi was skipping towards them with a smug smile on her face.

“Hi again,” She said as she wrapped one arm around Jungkook briefly before taking her seat.

“What did you do?” Jennie asked, Jaehyun pulled her plate away from her and set aside the bits and pieces of parsley on the salad.

“I just got a call from appa’s secretary,” She stated as she picked up one of the chicken fingers from Jaehyun’s plate.

Jisoo blinked at the girl curiously.

“It wasn’t a good call.” She finished while chewing, Jaehyun pushed her plate back, and then she halted.

“Noona~” Mark started to speak, and then Jinhee approached their desk.

“Eunbi, dear, can I speak with you privately?”

Johnny and Jennie looked away.

“Why?” Eunbi looked up. Jinhee had one hand on her shoulder.

Mark chewed on his lip.

“It’s just that your announcement took me by surprise, and I wished you’d discuss it with me first since your father assigned me to those~”

“Well, surprise.” Eunbi grinned at her friends.

“Still, Eunbi, you should have told us first before deciding~”

Eunbi stood up; her eyes were on something beyond Mark’s shoulder.

“Swimming pool.” She spoke, the lady followed her gaze.

“Oh, do you like it?” Jinhee smiled.

“I had it redone and~”

Eunbi shook her off and started to run towards the pool, Jaehyun stood up from his seat and followed her.

“Oh no, she didn’t,” Johnny started to shake his head as he finally noticed the pool

“Eunbi-yah~”

Eunbi halted as she looked at the pool, she had gone still and tensed up.

“She—She changed it…the pool…eomma..eomma..personally designed that..the tiles..she chose them herself.” She stuttered.

Jaehyun’s brows furrowed, then Jinhee reached them.

“How do you find it, Eunbi?” She asked, Eunbi faced her.

“How do I find it?” She repeated, Jaehyun reached for her arm.

“Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting!” She bellowed, the party turned quiet.

“Eunbi-ah, why~”

“You’re not even Mrs. Lee yet, and now you have the guts to change everything in this house.” She spat as she took one step towards the woman.

“Ani, I was just~”

“You will never be accepted in this family. You will never become Mrs. Lee.” She spat, and then she took another glance at the pool.

“If I wake up tomorrow and still see that pool, I will make you dig up another pool with your bare hands.”

“Lee Eunbi!” Her father walked to them.

“And to think you let this happen.” She faced him.

“You’re being too much, have some respect!”

Jinhee was crying behind her father.

“I can say the same about you, appa. Have some respect too, did you forget who designed that pool?” Eunbi stated, her fists curled as she spoke.

“Eunbi, let it go, your mother died so long ago. Now behave yourself!” He said before pulling Jinhee away from them.

“Behave.” She spat, she felt someone tug her back gently.

“Eunbi, don’t.” Jaehyun said softly as he wrapped his hand around her curled fist.

“Eomma’s swimming pool.” She breathed, tears threatened to fall from her eyes, Jaehyun exhaled and just pulled her chin upwards.

“I want that pool back.” She mumbled again, she looked so lost and wounded.

“That was the only thing mom left, you know. I..I..”

“We’ll find a way to get it back, I can make some calls. So, for now,” He continued to rub small circles on the back of her hand.

“Let’s go back to the party, okay? We still have tomorrow.” He met her gaze evenly; Eunbi nodded and just let Jaehyun pull her back to their table.

 

 

“That brat,” Jinhee spat as she faced the mirror on top of the sink.

“Ya, you have to hold it in.” Her friend from the other line spoke.

“Her brother is easier to deal with,”

“He does seem the calm and docile one.”

Jinhee smirked as she fixed her makeup.

“I can’t win her over. She’s too difficult, I can only shut her up. Cut off all her power.”

“How would you do that? She’s the eldest child.”

“It’s easy, Jiwook will always take my side, it won’t be long until he gets rid of his daughter.” She chuckled.

“Still, be careful, that Eunbi child has always been popular for being difficult.”

“There’s nothing special about her, she’s just used to having her father’s money. It won’t be difficult to remove her.”

 

 

“Okay, money down.” Doyoung chuckled.

“What are you betting on?” Mark blinked.

“Look at that, only one person can do that.” Jennie pointed out, Mark followed her gaze, Jaehyun was talking with his sister.

“They must know each other really well.” Jisoo added, Jungkook halted, Doyoung paused.

She’s the girl being paired with Jaehyun hyung by his parents, so behave yourselves." Mark stated.

Johnny glanced at the girl.

Jaehyun reached their table first; Eunbi took her seat and exhaled.

“Rough day?” Jungkook smiled at her.

“Eat,” Jaehyun said to her before picking up his utensils, Eunbi leaned back on her seat but she had her fork on her hand.

“Jaehyun-ah, can I take this inside? I don’t like eating here.” She spoke, Jaehyun looked at her and he nodded. Jisoo looked at the two, her forehead creased.

“Drop by my room before you leave, guys.” She said before picking up her plate and leaving them.

“Water too. Don’t just bring your wineglass.” Jaehyun stated, she glared at him but also picked up her water.

Doyoung and Jungkook grinned.

“Eat your vegetables too!” Johnny teased before she left.

 

 

Eunbi leaned back on the foot of her bed, she looked at the photos before her.

“Eomma, it’s pretty crazy right now.” She murmured.

“Appa had plans to get married without telling me, the house has changed so much..and now, I think that woman has some dark hidden agenda.”

“I’m starting to think that..Jaehyun was right. I shouldn’t have been so adamant about leaving.” She recounted.

“I was just gone for a year…look what happened?”

“Hey,”

She looked up; Johnny was standing by the doorway.

“How are you feeling?” He asked as he plopped down beside her.

“Rage never felt so good.” She snorted, he grinned and just pulled her to him.

“Hey, listen, I know you can be a little crazy sometimes, but I always have your back, alright?”

“Jaehyun and I will rebuild that pool, just like how it was before.”

She smiled.

“It doesn’t seem right, Johnny. I don’t trust her, and it’s not just because I’m this jealous overprotective daughter, I just…some things just don’t add up. I tried to do another background check on her, but nothing. No family members, I don’t even know where she was born.”

“We’ll find something soon, for now,”

“Relax, we’ll fix this. You can fix this.”

Jaehyun and Jennie stepped inside the room.

“Yeah, we’ll help you fix this, E.” Jennie smiled and sat down beside them, Eunbi grinned at them.

“Hmmm, I don’t think it’s right for you to be here, Jung Banking Group.” Jennie teased, Eunbi chuckled and stood up.

“It’s fine, we’re both cool people.” Eunbi mused.

“I’m leaving in a few,” He said as she walked to him, Eunbi nodded, her brows furrowed as she fixed the lapels of his coat.

“Drive safely.” She nodded at him.

“About the swimming pool…I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Jung.”

 

 

Jaehyun smiled, he touched her chin briefly before stepping out of the room, behind her, Johnny and Jennie were grinning at each other.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++