018

My Lucky Strike

Eunbi stared at her reflection with disdain, she was wearing a pastel yellow dress that reached her knees and showed a bit of her shoulders, she matched them with a pair of gold Jimmy Choos.

That snake sure loves her pastels.” She spat as she checked her hair, which was tied in a dainty ponytail.

“I can’t even recognize myself.” She muttered as she picked up Hermes clutch and headed out of her room.

“Lee Minhyung?” She called out as she went down the steps, she blinked when no reply came.

“Mark?”

She reached the bottom steps, a maid stopped before her.

“Have you seen my brother?”

“He’s…at..”

Eunbi followed her gaze, the girl sighed and just walked towards the west wing of the house.

Mark, we’re running~

She saw her younger sibling in front of the double doors; his face looked so crest-fallen that Eunbi panicked for a moment.

“Hey,” She said as she reached him and placed one hand on the shoulder of his sky blue blazer.

What are you~” Eunbi finally turned her head, she almost dropped her clutch.

“Noona, this….this was eomma’s studio. Her works…She spend most..of her time here.” Mark breathed, tears threatened to fall from his eyes.

Eunbi’s eyes roamed around the room, the room was once filled with her mother’s artworks, portraits, landscapes and pottery. But all those where replaced by rows and rows of designer clothes, shelves filled with leather purses, limited edition Chanels and tons of shoes.

No.” Mark started to shake his head, Eunbi looked away, her eyes red.

The…Her portrait, it’s gone, noona.” He sobbed, Eunbi looked up, there was once a portrait painted by one of her mom friend’s that hung in the middle of the room, now it had been replaced by a crystal chandelier.

That was the only thing that helped me remember how she looked like.” Mark shook his head; Eunbi just pulled him into her arms.

Noona, what is happening?

Eunbi’s fists curled, her jaw twitched slightly.

“Take off those clothes.”

 

 

“What is this? Unicorn fest?” Jennie said as she walked in with her cousin and brother.

“Be nice.” Doyoung reminded, he spotted their parents chatting up with the Jungs and the Lee patriarch.

“They aren’t here, Eunbi noona and Mark hyung.” Haechan spoke, Jennie paused.

“She’s not here.” Johnny approached them.

“Ugh, but she’s here.” Jennie’s eyes landed on Jisoo who was holding onto Jaehyun’s arm.

“I was actually thinking Eunbi would be here, I mean, earlier than the rest of us,” Doyoung looked around, he saw Jungkook approaching Jaehyun and Jisoo.

“What if she backed out?” Haechan blinked.

“Eunbi? Backing out?” Johnny shook his head, amused.

“Let’s just sit down first. I don’t want to sit with the elders.” Doyoung urged them, Jennie looked around, a lot of guests have already arrived, and even some prominent politicians were also in attendance.

“Jennie,”

She paused, Jaehyun was approaching her.

“What?” She asked.

“I haven’t seen~”

The MC came up to the stage and asked everyone to please take their seats, Jaehyun just shook his head and pulled a seat for Jisoo.

 

 

“Where are they?” Mr. Lee snapped at Eunbi’s secretary.

“I’m sorry, president. But she’s not picking up her phone.”

Jinhee crossed her arms beside the male, her brows furrowed.

“Yeobo, we can start without them, clearly Eunbi’s brainwashed Mark, I mean, I do feel bad that they’re not here but~”

The double doors opened, the guests turned quiet and the hired photographers started to move.

“They’re here.” Eunbi’s secretary smiled, his eyes went to the two Lee siblings. Jinhee overheard Mrs. Jung sigh as the rest of the guests turned their heads.

“Great color choice!” Somebody cheered from the crowd. Jinhee’s eyes went to the two siblings and she paused. Mark was dressed in a black three piece suit with a gold cufflinks, while Eunbi, was dressed in a black spaghetti strapped gown that hugged every curve in her body and showed almost all of her back. There was a soft murmur coming from the crowd as they walked in.

“At least they’re here, we can start.” Mr. Lee nodded before standing up to greet more of his colleagues, Jinhee let out a shaky breath.

“Yeobo, but what they’re wearing it doesn’t match with our motif,”

“Samonim, with all due respect, at least they arrived, we don’t want everyone to know of your sour relationship with the president’s children.”

 

 

“Great color choice!” Johnny hooted.

Oh no.” Jennie chuckled as Eunbi and Mark walked in, both were clad in black from head to toe.

Jaehyun just shook his head, but he wasn’t surprised, and then he looked up and saw her face.

“Something’s not right.” Jaehyun said softly, Jungkook took his seat beside him.

Eunbi took her seat beside Jennie’s. Jaehyun’s forehead furrowed as she set her purse down and leaned back on her seat.

“What happened?” Haechan asked as Mark sat down between him and Jaehyun.

“It’s wrong…just wrong.” Mark exhaled and shook his head, Jennie was coaxing Eunbi to talk, but the girl just refused to talk.

The host started to talk, the guests would chuckle as he teased the couple during the rest of the program.

“I have a bad feeling about this.” Jungkook said, Johnny nodded back, then champagne was being served to toast the couple best wishes.

“Are you alright?” Jisoo nudged him, Jaehyun looked at her.

“Y—yeah,” He replied as his eyes went back to Eunbi, the waiter served her a glass of Cristal. Jisoo just looked away, her fists curled on her lap.

“Then, can we call on our future groom’s eldest child to give us a few words?” The MC spoke, Doyoung panicked, and then a smirk appeared on Eunbi’s face.

“We should Snap this.” Jennie chuckled and took out her phone and opened Snapchat.

“Should I have 911 ready?” Johnny wondered, Haechan looked on with interest as the girl walked towards the stage, her black dress stood out amongst the crowd.

Jaehyun chewed on his lip. He knew something was up, Eunbi looked so unstable and quiet, it wasn’t her.

tumblr_inline_on4mgl2zhs1ucrgm9_540.gif

She reached the stairs, she turned her head briefly, she met his gaze for a moment, Jaehyun just stared back. She shook her head before heading up.

 

 

Eunbi had her glass of champagne in one hand as she walked towards the microphone.

“Thank you all for coming here to join my family and my father’s new pet,” She said, the room grew quiet.

“I mean, fiancé. I’m sorry, I was out of the country for a quite a while, my Korean’s a little rusty.” She chuckled heartily.

“But really, thank you for taking the time to be here, and there are so many faces that I haven’t seen in such a long time, this is a great way to catch up.” She nodded at the crowd. She could feel her father’s heavy gaze on her as well as Jinhee crossing her legs and smirking at her. She was probably thinking that Eunbi wouldn’t do anything crazy in front of such a large crowd.

“I am very happy that my father has found a new….person to share his life with, I feel lucky that there will be a new lady in his life to make him happy and I am excited if my brother and I get another sibling, that would be a very joyous event for Lees and HanShin also. ”

“She’s a natural. Let’s wait for the punch line.” Jungkook murmured.

“You all are expecting those words from me, right?” She chuckled.

“But, no. I am not happy. Not at all.” She said bluntly, her eyes went to their table, Jaehyun stood up and quietly stepped away.

“A new lady? Another sibling? Stop joking.” She spat, the room grew quiet, she saw her father turning red, Jinhee was standing up, asking for someone to pull Eunbi away from the microphone.

“My brother and I, we will never accept this woman to our family, no matter how grand this party is, we don’t care how kind or generous this woman may appear to be, she will never become a part of HanShin. To be honest, please help us get rid of her. HanShin needs your help, we’re being attacked by pests.” She said, and then she raised her glass.

“Cheers.” And then she let go of the glass; it fell on the floor with a loud crack, Eunbi smiled before stepping down from the platform.

 

 

Jaehyun looked up as the doors opened, he exhaled and walked to the girl.

“What happened?” He asked as he reached her, Eunbi started to shake her head.

“Eunbi,” He panicked as tears started to roll down her cheeks.

“She…She…eomma…” She breathed.

“Her studio….her works…everything…it’s all gone.”

Jaehyun didn’t know what to say.

“She left me a few of her portraits, you know, the…moment she found out she was sick…She pulled me aside and brought me there…and then she asked me to look after them..” She sobbed.

“She asked me to take care of them, but…but I was too selfish, I left the house…I was too arrogant, and now…now its all gone.”

“Eunbi, I’m sorry.” Jaehyun just pulled her to him, he felt the front of his chest getting damp.

“Everything she left…now it’s gone, even the pool. I…It’s all my fault. I don’t even know what to say to Mark…because…it was my responsibility, to preserve her memories.” She cried.

“Eunbi, it’s not.” Jaehyun said quietly.

“You!” A voice made them all look up, Jaehyun looked up, Mr. Lee was walking towards them.

“Samchon, now is not~”

“How could you, you ingrate!” He bellowed as he yanked Eunbi away from Jaehyun.

Eunbi didn’t react as her father pulled her.

“After everything that I’ve given you, you dare to do this?” He yelled, Jaehyun’s fists curled.

“I let you do everything you want, and this is how you~”

“I’m sorry, samchon.” Jaehyun spoke, the elder looked up just as three guards started to walk towards them.

“Stop this. Please.” Jaehyun said as he pried his hand off Eunbi’s arm, he shook off his coat and draped it around her.

“Jaehyun, you~”

The guards blocked his path.

“Let’s go, you can drive if you want,” Jaehyun murmured as he pulled the girl with him.

 

 

Eunbi just nodded and wrapped her arms around herself, Jaehyun just sighed and kissed the side of her head as they stepped in the elevator.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++