The Prince's Secret

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

He looked at her, cold and indifferent, stared at her fearful face and his icy eyes remained the same. She gasped, mouthed a desperate "Please" but if he heard or even saw it, it didn't show. He walked around the room to grab a cloth and a rope before going back to where she lie.

 

After securing and tying her to the table in the room, he wiped his face and hands, and exited the room.

 

"Leo!" the lady greeted as he reemerged to the main floor of the house.

 

"Arisa. How are you?" he replied, all the ice had melted from his eyes, replaced by such warmth that it was impossible to know the darkness that housed in his basement.

 

~*~

 

"How could you kill Margarette then go back to Arisa like nothing happened?!" Hayeon complained, hitting Taekwoon on the arm.

 

Looking around the theatre, she can see that everyone was almost frozen in their seats, no one daring to stand up even as the credits rolled in. She can understand the feeling. Despite it being an amateur production, it was a great film.

 

"That was... wow!" Minhyuk said, almost breathless next to Hayeon's left. "You were great, Taekwoon! Like... really great! You, too, Eunji! You really looked scared of Leo there!"

 

Eunji looked proud with the compliment, dramatically puffing out her chest and smiling widely at Minhyuk. "We were all scared of Taekwoon during that scene. The only one unaffected there was Wonshik."

 

"Wonshik doesn't really count though. I don't think anything fazes him." Hayeon commented.

 

"If only you know..." Eunji said in a singsong whisper, hinting something probably only the Drama Department students know of. She had seen Wonshik and had even talked to the guy, especially when Eunji and Taekwoon are too busy rehearsing so they both whined at Hayeon for food, making her take a much needed visit to their building.

 

"Is he the director?" Hyoyeon piped in from the other end of the seats.

 

"No. He's the scriptwriter. He looks really indifferent but his scripts are always so full of emotions." Taekwoon answered.

 

Hayeon snorted next to him and Taekwoon gave her a side glance. "As if you have any right calling someone else indifferent."

 

Taekwoon hit her arm lightly for the comment while she just laughed a little, triumphant at riling Taekwoon up.

 

After the crowd had finally gathered themselves up enough to realize that it's time to leave the theatre, Hayeon and the others also stood up from their seats to follow the majority of the crowd to the exit.

 

"Are you guys going tomorrow? To Vocal Department's quarterly evaluation?" Minhyuk asked as they all head out to eat. Hayeon was instantly on alert. 

 

Taekwoon was careful to keep his face neutral. He was pissed yesterday, Hayeon knows that much. They had spent the time between dinner and curfew together. Taekwoon had done her hair as they watched a movie, and even with the lack of words, she knows he was doing it to cheer her up.

 

They had parted with Hayeon feeling so much lighter and she knew that Taekwoon was too when he left her room with a small smile on his lips. Or maybe he was just relieved that she was already feeling less upset.

 

Today though, the mere mention of the Vocal Department's presentation had steeled Taekwoon's expression once again. It might not look like it changed all that much but Hayeon knows Taekwoon is doing it to hide his emotions.

 

"You guys all know I'm going. They have last day rehearsals today." Hayeon answered. She had directed the second sentence to Taekwoon in a subtle manner. She kind of guessed that her best friend was pissed at Dongho for not showing up to accompany her to watch the Drama Department's films and even if she was also upset by that fact, she wanted to tell Taekwoon that it was because of a reasonable excuse.

 

Taekwoon didn't really look at her but the little sigh that he did was enough to know that he caught the message.

 

"And you guys?" Hyoyeon asked, looking at Eunji and Taekwoon.

 

"We'll go!" Eunji answered, looking hopefully at Taekwoon who only nodded at her eager face. At this, Hayeon finally allowed a smile, thankful for her friends' unexpected and probably unintended help in persuading Taekwoon to come.

 

The place they chose to eat in was a pasta place that was a bit further away from campus. It was a place she had discovered with Taekwoon from their frequent food hunts and they both thought it would be a good idea to introduce it to their friends. Maybe she should take Dongho here too sometime soon, she mused.

 

Hayeon had let Taekwoon lead the group. The three of them were still talking animatedly about the film with Eunji happily adding details for the parts they missed.

 

They didn't make it past the door of the restauramt though, Taekwoon had turned and was pushing the rest of them out before they even had an idea of what was going on.

 

"Taek! Hey!" Hayeon complained even as he let Taekwoon push them all away from the place.

 

"I suddenly remembered a good pizza place just a minute's walk away from here." he said, already leading the way. Hayeon, having caught the silent plead in his eyes had supported the change of plans without question, for now at least. The others thankfully followed but not without a quick glance at Hayeon and Taekwoon.

 

She made sure to send him a look that said "Tell me later." and he responded with a light unnoticeable nod.

 

Fortunately, the others didn't prod too much about the sudden change of plans. Just a question of why and a comment of "You're so random." directed at Taekwoon but otherwise, they let it go. Hayeon didn't ask at all, she'll just keep her questions to herself until it was only just the two of them.

 

They separated on their way home after the meal, Hyoyeon, Minhyuk and Eunji together on one side, while Taekwoon and her on the other. He attempted to Eunji back, but his girlfriend rejected his offer, pulled him close and whispered something. Hayeon didn't hear what it was Eunji said to Taekwoon but she had an idea what it was based on Taekwoon's expression.

 

Her best friend stared at his girlfriend wide-eyed, like she just dropped a bomb on him. Hayeon can bet it has something to do with Eunji knowing that Taekwoon insisting on walking her home is more about stalling for time before she interrogates him. 

 

"I can't read you as well as Hayeon yet, but I'm learning." She smiled then, gave a chaste kiss on his lips and lightly pushed him towards Hayeon's direction. "See you both tomorrow." then run after the two dancers who were a few meters away, waiting for her to finish saying her goodbye.

 

Hayeon kept quiet as they walked slowly back while Taekwoon gives quiet sighs next to him. 

 

"Let's grab some snacks." she said, making a turn towards the convenience store. While she picked out chips and cookies and also a few cans of soda and bottles of juice, she found Taekwoon standing around the small area where they sell some hair tie and ribbons.

 

They paid for all the junk food, including a bag of small red hair ties.

 

Hayeon dumped all the food on the table next to her bed, immediately grabbing one of the huge bag of chips and opening it. Taekwoon, meanwhile, sat on her bed already holding a comb and waiting for her to take her position so he can do her hair.

 

If Hayeon's habit was playing with his hands as they talk, Taekwoon's is doing her hair, so she plops down on the floor next to the bed.

 

"Your hair is longer now. I bet the fishtail would look nice." he said, pulling Hayeon's hair tie gently and combing the strands. She hummed in agreement as she munch on the barbecue flavored chips.

 

"Did Dongho tell you what time they'll finish rehearsals?" he asked in an almost whisper. His fingers worked even in the silence of thr room, gently tugging strands after strands and crossing them on top of each other.

 

"He said probably around late afternoon. It wouldn't be good for their voices if they practice until night." she answered, bringing a few chips over her head and was eaten off in no time. 

 

There was a few moments of them both just chewing, until she felt Taekwoon reach the end of her hair. She handed him the bag of hair ties they just bought, knowing he needs them now without the need to ask.

 

"Take two out." he instructed.

 

She felt him tie the end of her hair, then let it fall and graze her back. Then Taekwoon's fingers were back, playing with the strands intentionally left out at the sides.

 

"Remember what I said about being the first person to punch your boyfriend in the face if he ever hurts you?"

 

Hayeon resisted the urge to turn around. There was another reason why Taekwoon ties her hair when they talk, or more specifically, when he's the one doing the talking. It is a way of letting Taekwoon filter the words he wants to say, without Hayeon seeing right through him before he can even finish.

 

She took a much needed breath, before giving a light nod. "Why are you asking me this, Taek?" she asked, even if she already has a clue why. It's difficult not seeing Taekwoon's face when they talk like this. Taekwoon always says too little for her to actually know, which is exactly the point of this whole set up, but still.

 

"I'm just reminding myself. I love you, I hope you know that."

 

"I do. And I wish you'd tell me what you saw." she said, holding his hand still, playing with his fingers like how she usually does.

 

"I'm not yet sure myself and I'd rather spare you from it."

 

"For now." she insisted. She still wanted to know even if it was an uncertain thing as Taekwoon said. But she can feel that he isn't going to give in and tell her now. "You'll tell me in the future, okay?"

 

He sighed, tugging her hair lightly again, "Okay. For now, Yeon."

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

Akira: Apologies for the late update. I hope this chapter makes up for the wait ^^