Prologue: Invitation To The Ball

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

Taekwoon's phone gave an almighty screech. He groaned in his pillow trying to block out the strong bass music of the song. His sleep clouded mind briefly wondered why VIXX's Voodoo Doll is blasting at o'clock in the morning. Then he knitted his eyebrows because... Hayeon.

 

The sound stopped afterwards and he breathed a sigh of relief, relaxing in his pillows again. He should've known. Hayeon will not stop at one missed call.

 

Just a few seconds after and Voodoo Doll is playing again, Hayeon's face displayed on his screen. Groaning, he turned off his phone and pulled his blankets over his shoulder then went back to sleep.

 

His peace was short-lived.

 

"Wake up, Grumpy Pants!" 

 

He doesn't even need to think how she got in his room. His mom most probably just laughed at Hayeon's arrival and allowed Taekwoon's best friend to go and torture her son.

 

"Go away!" he mumbled, swatting the air with his hand.

 

"I said, wake up!" Hayeon said louder, trying to pull Taekwoon's blanket, too.

 

He didn't even try to struggle for it. Hayeon is strong and sleepyhead him doesn't stand a chance so he let her pull the blankets off. But Taekwoon was determined to continue to sleep and covered his face with his pillow. "It's too early to deal with you!" he said, muffled under it.

 

"Ugh! Whatever! Where's your phone?"

 

He almost rejoiced at that. Hayeon is relenting. Not wanting to make Hayeon change her mind, Taekwoon felt for the device and handed it to the air. It was snatched almost immediately and he burrowed his face back on the sheets.

 

"Hand!" she said after.

 

From under the pillow, he handed her his right hand, no doubt pressing his finger to unlock his phone. He doesn't even have the energy to think what she's fussing about in his phone. The only thing he cares about is Hayeon leaving him to sleep again.

 

There was silence for a while and he was slowly drifting back to sleep when his shoulder was harshly shaken followed by the loudest voice Hayeon has used ever since she arrived in his room.

 

"Oh my god! You passed, too!" she shouted.

 

"Shut up!" he shouted back.

 

"Wake up! Wake up! We both passed!" Hayeon continued, still shaking his shoulder and is now trying to snatch his pillow, too.

 

He wasn't that ready to surrender his last wall of defense though.

 

"Wake up, Taekwoon!" she gritted, pulling the pillow.

 

"Go away!" he gritted back, holding and pulling the poor pillow to himself.

 

"We passed!" she exclaimed again, still excited, and ugh... Too damn high for the morning.

 

"And my result wouldn't change even if I saw the result maybe after two more hours." he grumbled. He lowered the pillow to finally glare at his best friend which he's considering of disowning at the moment.

 

Hayeon glares back at him. Damn. It's early and she already looks like she's buzzing with energy. And not to mention she looks ready to fight the day already. Taekwoon isn't.

 

Hayeon scrunched her face and got off the bed, walking to the door and Taekwoon followed her movement with his eyes. "Yeah, but I won't reserve some of the chocolate cake I'll bake if you will get up two hours later. I'll remind you that my older brother and sisters are home for vacation."  she said and promptly turned her face away from Taekwoon.

 

She had already slammed his door on her way out when Taekwoon's mind finally worked.

 

He blinked.

 

"Wait! What?!" He was out his bed and running to his door in no time. Hayeon's chocolate cake and older siblings, that kind of combo doesn't work well for his sweet tooth. The last time Hayeon baked while her older siblings were home, Taekwoon only managed a bite because Hayeon kept a slice for him.

 

"Hayeon~" he whined, trying to catch up to Hayeon's retreating figure.

 

------------------------------------

Akira: A glimpse of our bickering pair before they officially start college ^^