A New Leaf

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

Taekwoon felt his phone vibrate somewhere under him, waking him from a sleep he has no clue how long he's been in. It was a little after noon when he decided to join Hayeon in sleeping the tiring day away, both of them completely forgetting to eat in the process.

 

His phone demanded his attention again. Fortunately, Hayeon's hold on him had loosened considerably and he was able to move his arms without stirring her awake.

 

tiny: Is it okay to drop by now?

tiny: Still occupied?

 

He looked at the time on his phone. A little after five, which means all classes are done by now. He considered what to tell Eunji. Should he tell her that it still wasn't a good time to come? Or would Hayeon be okay woth finding Eunji in the room once she wakes up?

 

His stomach gave him the answer he needed though. He hasn't eaten anything all day. Being reported early this morning, to being a full time best friend at noon. He could go out on his own to grab the both of them some food, but...

 

Taekwoon looked at Hayeon's sleeping face. wad slack and she was breathing rhythmically. No sign that she'll wake up anytime soon. But then, her desperate look as she tugged at Taekwoon's shirt flashed in his mind. The small chance that she'll wake up and not find him there... He can't afford that.

 

GIANT: Could you bring us some food?

GIANT: I haven't eaten anything all day

tiny: Yeah. Sure. I'm on my way

GIANT: Also, the door is unlocked. Just come in. Hayeon is still asleep so just...

tiny: Okay~ Noted.

tiny: Any sort of comfort food I can bring for her?

GIANT: Anything with chocolate should be fine

tiny: Okay~

 

He tried to slip away from Hayeon's loose embrace and thankfully managed it without waking her up. She immediately clutched at the pillow substitute Taekwoon gave her when he moved out of the bed.

 

A few strands of hair fell over her face and Taekwoon just watched at her peaceful expression. Gently, he swept the strands away. Her eyes still looked puffy and its corners having obvious signs of dried tears. Unconsciously, he had started to pet her hair, tracing the lines of her face with his eyes. She looked so soft like this.

 

The sound of the door being carefully opened reached his ears and he looked just in time to see Eunji poking her head through the door. With a heavy heart, he stood up from his position on the floor and went to meet his girlfriend.

 

"Here. That's pasta and chicken. And the other bag has chocolate cake. I also got you guys some juice and water." she said, handing him the food she brought.

 

He gave her a look and a little head tilt. Eunji's tone sounded like she just came by to drop off the food and now that she has done just that, is ready to leave soon.

 

She smiled and ruffled his hair a bit, a habit she developed whenever she thought Taekwoon was being cute despite his towering height. "I don't think Hayeon would appreciate if people will see how vulnerable she is right now."

 

He slumped his shoulders and didn't argue. Because he shared the same thoughts. "Thank you for understanding." he said with a small smile.

 

"Hayeon is my friend, too." 

 

She stepped forward then, wrapping her arms around him. "Power hug!"

 

He laughed a little, returning the hug albeit a bit awkwardly because of the bags he was still holding.

 

"I know she's charging up by hugging you so I'll charge you right back up!" Eunji said, tightening her arms around him in a last squeeze. "If you need anything else, just message me."

 

Taekwoon crouched a little, touching his forehead to hers. "Thank you. You're the best."

 

"Aren't you lucky to have me?" she teased, eager to make Taekwoon laugh at her for being full of herself. She knows he's been feeling terrible because of the whole Dongho issue so she wanted to give him at least something to smile or laugh about.

 

Instead of laughing though, he dropped for a kiss. A firm press of lips against hers. "Yes. I'm the luckiest." he said and gave her one more quick kiss before standing to his full height. "Charging complete. Thanks again for the food."

 

"Sure thing. Take care of her, okay?" Eunji said, waving a little as Taekwoon retreated back to his room.

 

He had just settled all the bags down when his phone's screen lit up because of a new message.

 

tiny: Just met Minhyuk on my way back. He's also heading there with more food. Told him you'll meet him outside your room.

 

Taekwoon looked towards the bed. Hayeon was still in the same position he left her and was still very much asleep. With a sigh, he turned towards the door again.

 

"How is she?" came Minhyuk's concerned voice.

 

"Well. She's still asleep." he said, a bit unsure. He doesn't know how much he can tell or how was he supposed to tell how she is right now.

 

"Did you hear from her how she got suspended?" Minhyuk asked in a more light hearted tone, setting Taekwoon at ease at not having to talk about Hayeon's current state.

 

"Not in full detail. Just that she wouldn't be, if an didn't call me a stupid ."

 

Minhyuk smiled, "You should've seen it. Hyoyeon and I searched for her when we found out the situation from Eunji. We got to the lobby of the Vocal Department just in time to see her kick him on the face."

 

"She what?!"

 

"Roundhouse. I didn't know she could kick so hard." he said, totally amused.

 

"That would really get her suspended." Taekwoon said mostly to himself.

 

"Ah. That isn't it actually. A teacher came and pulled her away from Dongho, but the stupid guy had the nerve to yell "Go to hell! You and your stupid guard dog!" She actually pulled herself away from the teacher just to kick him square on the face while he was slumped on the floor."

 

"...wow."

 

"Wow is the right word." 

 

The smile in Minhyuk's face quickly fell away, replaced by unmasked worry. "She left quickly after getting her suspension. She looked seconds away from crying when she did, and Hyoyeon and I don't have the heart to stop her from going to you. Did she... well... I mean... cry a lot?"

 

Taekwoon guessed it wasn't actually a question of whether she cried or not and more on how much she cried.

 

It wasn't that hard to guess based on Minhyuk's body language but he did a very good job at remaining as a friend towards Hayeon, never stepping out of line. A fact that Taekwoon very much appreciated before, since it benefits Hayeon more than anyone.

 

"Kinda." he answered and Minhyuk sighed, looking distantly at the closed door behind Taekwoon.

 

"Minhyuk." he called, bringing the other male's attention back to him.


"Hm?"


"I'll just remind you that I don't mind getting another suspension." Taekwoon let his eyes say the words he didn't voice out. He wasn't threatening. Not at all. He knows what kind of person Minhyuk is. He was just simply reminding him. Before he actually tries to approach Hayeon with a specific purpose this time.


Minhyuk laughed a little, not feeling the least bit scared of the taller male. Instead, he smiled warmly, looking at Taekwoon seriously, "Yes. Please. Give me a good punch if I ever make her cry. That is... If I will ever come to matter to her enough to have the capacity to."


"You're my friend but I won't help you win her heart. I'm quite invested at keeping her away from things that can hurt her. And that includes you."

 

"Don't worry. I know."

 

~*~

 

Hayeon finally woke up half an hour later. Taekwoon was still sitting on the floor next to the bed, watching her pick herself up and give Taekwoon a wobbly smile.

 

"Want to wash your face first?" he asked and Hayeon just gave a nod. He helped her up and she wordlessly allowed him. Neither of them commented about her unusual willingness at being helped on such a menial task.

 

Once she was up, he handed her the small basin of water and a towel he prepared beforehand.

 

"Taek?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Thank you." she said, her voice small.

 

"It's nothing." he replied, urging her to go and wash up already.

 

"I meant--"

 

"I know. And again, it's nothing. We'll eat after you're done. You must be hungry."

 

If possible, her face softened more, giving Taekwoon another smile, easier this time. "Thanks."

 

----------------------------------------------

linds: So that concludes this arc (finally) but don't think that's the end yet c: Akira has been on a roll lately haha. If y'all want small updates or spoilers on this fic and its other parts you could go on twitter and search for #TQatIP <3 We'll try not to spoil too much :D

Akira's twitter and curious cat