The Frog Prince

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

It was a Sunday and Hayeon is aware that today is literally a rest day for the students. Which also means that today is the only day that she can shop for things she may or may not need.

 

She went to the next building, giving a polite smile to the old security guard stationed for the morning shift. All of the guards at Taekwoon's place were more or less familiar with her by now. It has already been more than a whole quarter and her frequent visits to Taekwoon's dorm had made her a common face to the staff there.

 

"Coming to fetch your boyfriend?" Mr. Kim asked, smiling that grandfather smile at her.

 

"Taekwoon isn't my boyfriend, sir." she answered. The old man had always referred to Taekwoon as her boyfriend and he heard from Taekwoon that she was referred to as his girlfriend as well. "But yes, I'm coming to fetch him."

 

The old guard just smiled at her again and let her in.

 

Taekwoon's room is at the 2nd floor, last door to the right. She went straight there. The hallways are still deserted, not an unusual sight for a Sunday since most students tend to sleep in during the only day they can afford to turn off their morning alarm.

 

She got to the door and didn't bother to knock. She knows that Taekwoon would be more or less still dead to the world. So, holding her spare key to the door, she quietly opened it and let herself in.

 

Technically, it isn't allowed to give a spare key to anyone for your dorm room but there had been a few ocassions when Taekwoon or Hayeon would forget maybe a script, a book, a costume, or any other thing back in their rooms. Not to mention sometimes forgetting it in each other's rooms. And when one of them is currently on break for classes, they will ask if he or she can bring it to them. Thus, the spare keys were offered on the table. 

 

Hayeon had found a lump in the middle of the bed. As she expected, Taekwoon was still asleep. It wasn't like she can't wake him up, but she'll feel guilty over doing it just so she can drag him to the mall. So instead, she grabbed his chair and the desk lamp, reading the script he left on the table.

 

It was half an hour later when Hayeon felt a weight on her shoulder followed by a grunt.

 

"What did you say?" she asked, closing the script and turning off the lamp.

 

"I said, why didn't you wake me up?" Taekwoon said clearer. He also took his face off of her shoulder and instead settled his chin on it.

 

"It's nothing important anyway. Just thought maybe we can go to the mall today."

 

"What if I didn't wake up all morning?" he asked. A quick look to her side and Hayeon was able to see that Taekwoon still has his eyes closed. He's always so sleepy in the mornings.

 

"Then we can go in the afternoon if ever." 

 

He yawned once then walked to his closet. "Let me wash up first." then he was out the door with a towel and a change of clothes.

 

~*~

 

"I didn't get to ask you this, but..."

 

"Dongho has vocal practice for the performance in two weeks." she answered. She picked herself up from the deskchair to settle on Taekwoon's bed. "Come here, I'll dry your hair."

 

Taekwoon went wordlessly, while Hayeon grabbed Taekwoon's hair dryer near his bed.

 

"Should I style it up?" she asked, working efficiently with drying his hair with the towel first. There was a very light nod but it was answer enough so she grabbed his hairgel as well.

 

While she worked, Taekwoon was quiet, probably still in the process of waking up.

 

"What time did you sleep last night?"

 

"Hm. Maybe around 2?"

 

"Turn around."

 

Taekwoon obediently did. His eyes were still closed and now, looking at him closely, she can see dark circles under his eyes.

 

"You have bags under your eyes. You should take care of your face. You're an actor!" she scolded, tracing said bags with her fingers.

 

"Can you fix me up today?" he asked, still not opening his eyes.

 

"I expected this much so I brought the BB cream I use on you." She got up to get her bag from the table, procuring a small tube of cream. This shade is twice lighter than her skin color because she specifically bought it for Taekwoon. The guy would sometimes show up with bags or light pimple marks on his face, and since it seems like Hayeon was more concerned with his appearance than the person himself, Hayeon had had enough and bought the cream.

 

"You might be handsome but you still need to take care of your skin. Maybe we should buy some masks, too, so we can use them later."

 

Taekwoon just hummed as an answer.

 

"There." she said once she was done. She also took the liberty of fixing his eyebrows a bit and putting just a touch of brown eyeshadow on his eyes. She hasn't directly told him that she liked his face, but she thinks she had openly expressed it, given how much Taekwoon lets her take care of his skin.

 

"We should buy some lip balm, too. Your lips are a bit dry."

 

"Mm. Whatever you say." he said, then finally opened his eyes, then looked at Hayeon with a quiet question.

 

"Yeah. You look okay now."

 

"Thanks."

 

~*~

 

After going around the clothes shop and the cosmetics shop, buying the mask and lip balm she have mentioned earlier, she next lead Taekwoon to a small shop that sells toys and accessories for girls.

 

She was trying on a choker when she noticed Taekwoon holding a small white teddy bear. Hayeon put the choker back in place and opted to stand next to Taekwoon. 

 

"For Eunji?" she asked, looking at the toy in Taekwoon's hand.

 

Her best friend hasn't explicitly told her that he liked Eunji, but she knows Taekwoon enough to know that he's interested in her. And judging from Taekwoon's lack of reaction, he might've already expected that Hayeon has noticed.

 

"Do you think she'll like it?"

 

She lightly hit Taekwoon's arm. "Yeah. But more than the gift, I think she likes you, too. She wouldn't stick around talking to a toad if she didn't like you."

 

"A toad?! Me?!"

 

"Half of the conversation with you, is just you grunting like a toad."

 

"You're calling me a toad now?"

 

"Uhm... Handsome toad?" She giggled right after. They have been together since second year of high school that most insults towards each other are harmless now. Still, it's always nice to come up with new things to tease each other with.

 

Taekwoon raised an eyebrow at her, judging, then sighing. "I think I need to buy Dongho a pair of glasses."

 

"Hey!"

 

"You started it."

 

"Anyway, do you plan to ask her out?" Hayeon said, trying to change the subject, bringing it back to Eunji.

 

"Yeah. Maybe after our next stage."

 

"Good luck with that! And be sure to ask her out while you still have your make up on. You don't want her to realize you're actually a toad before she can say yes to you."

 

"Hayeon, I swear to god..."

 

Hayeon just laughed again, avoiding Taekwoon's arm from pulling her and probably squeezing her as a revenge.

 

"Don't scrunch your face, you'll have wrinkles then you'll be a King Toad."

 

"I hate you."

 

"I know."