The Queen's Stage

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

Note: Some characters and references were mentioned in Part 3: Tea Time In The Palace. We recommend that you read it first before proceeding with this chapter. Thank you.

 

When Hayeon told him at first that she will use the instrumental for VIXX's Shangri-la for her quarterly evaluation, he thought she was just being her usual fangirl self. He found out a few weeks later that she was being quite serious.

 

Their theme for this stage is "oriental" so it isn't surprising to see some using fans or fake swords and other props that will suit their routine. And that is where Hayeon's stage sets its difference. Instead of props that would occupy her hands, she made full use of her clothes, long and loose clothes with more material around the sleeves to create an after effect image on her movements.

 

He wondered at first why Sojin had visited their college last month, and then again last week, but now it's obvious that Hayeon had asked Sojin to design her stage clothes. Being a fashion designer and all, his sister must've been more than happy to make clothes for Hayeon's performance.

 

"Send me a video of her performance! I can't watch because of work, so capture it all on film! I need to see how it will look on stage." was the reason she called him last night, knowing that he'll come watch her performance today. So here he was, watching while recording. He needs to get a decent shot lest he gets in trouble with Sojin.

 

The performance wrapped up with the whole stadium on their feet, applauding Hayeon for her performance. It was absolutely beautiful, the smoke effect on stage giving off that mysterious and elegant feel to her dance. And Taekwoon for the first time, shared the same awe with the audience. It was the first time he had seen this dance since Hayeon practiced alone for a solo stage so Taekwoon's assistance was not necessary. Plus, he didn't get the chance to watch her practice because the Drama Department had been busy with evaluations as well.

 

"That was beautiful!" Eunji muttered next to him, with her eyes still fixed on the stage despite the stage lights already back to being pitch black.

 

"Yeah. She was." he answered, saving the video and sending it immediately to Sojin.

 

People had started moving around as the lights in the auditorium turned back on, everyone filing to the aisle in a slow stream to exit to the front. Taekwoon and Eunji waited until the crowd thinned before standing from their seats and proceeded backstage to congratulate Hayeon and the rest for a wonderful stage.

 

"Taekwoon!" Minhyuk greeted, already in a plain white tee and black shorts. His eyes were still lined with kohl and his lips still colored.

 

"Your sword dance was great!" he greeted. 

 

Minhyuk performed in traditional clothes depicting that of a soldier, using a sword as his key prop. It was a strong stage, perfect for the concept he was trying to go for.

 

"Thanks!" It was obvious that the adrenaline was still making him high, his cheeks were still flushed and he looked like he's buzzing with energy. He was second to last to perform afterall.

 

"Ah! You changed already! I was waiting for you and Hayeon this whole time so we can snap a picture!" Hyoyeon exclaimed, still in her deep red kimono which was short at the front and long at the back.

 

"I can wear the outer top." Minhyuk tried, scratching the back of his head in apology.

 

"Go! While Hayeon touches up." she said, pushing Minhyuk back to the dressing area for guys.

 

"Hyoyeon! You were so beautiful!" Eunji said, giving Hyoyeon a tight embrace.

 

"Thanks for coming! We'll watch your film tomorrow." Hyoyeon gave a wave to Taekwoon's direction after her hug with Eunji.

 

"Eunji! Taek!"

 

Hayeon was running to greet them, when Taekwoon held his hand up to stop her. "Hold it. I need to send Sojin a full body picture first." Hayeon just smiled and let Taekwoon take a couple of shots then let herself be hugged by Eunji as well. 

 

"Your dance was so beautiful, Hayeon! And your clothes were perfect and just... it was beautiful! Okay, I actually feel dumb with the lack of variety in my words but it really was beautiful!"

 

Hayeon laughed and hugged her again, "Thanks, Eunji."

 

Afterwards, she placed her hand on her hips raising an eyebrow at Taekwoon's direction.

 

"Really?" he asked, trying to sound unamused but ultimately failing.

 

Hayeon just continued with the look.

 

"Come here!" he said, opening his arms, and Hayeon broke into a wide smile, welcoming herself in Taekwoon's arms. "You did great. Your stage was elegantly beautiful."

 

"Thanks!" she said after. "Sorry Eunji, he just rarely praises me." 

 

"It's fine. You deserve the praise and I would have forced it out of Taekwoon if he didn't give in. He was just as speechless when we were both watching."

 

"Stop exposing me!" Taekwoon whined, bumping Eunji by the shoulder and Eunji just pushing harder.

 

They both laughed afterwards.

 

Minhyuk came back out with his top over his white tee and Hyoyeon gathered the five of them to snap the pictures she demanded. She also asked Taekwoon to take a picture of just the three of them dancers, complete with their props.

 

While all of them were busy snapping pictures, Taekwoon saw at the corner of his eyes, a figure approaching them and quietly sneaking behind Hayeon.

 

"Here! Flowers for such a beautiful stage!" Dongho exclaimed, after surprising Hayeon from behind. He handed her a small bouquet of flowers followed by a peck on her cheek.

 

"Thanks for coming."

 

"Of course! It's your performance. Of course I'll come." he said, giving her a hug.

 

Taekwoon turned his face and tried to ignore the scene. What matters is that Hayeon is happy. She doesn't need to know. 

 

"So we'll just change and then we can go out and eat." Hyoyeon said, going back to the dressing rooms to get changed. Minhyuk also disappeared to retrieve his things, leaving just Dongho, Eunji and Taekwoon at the halls.

 

"I'll just go to the restroom." Taekwoon excused himself, leaving quickly after the dancers went to change. He knows he can act well, but it doesn't mean he enjoys being in the same room while he's pissed.

 

He hasn't reached the restrooms yet when his phone vibrated in his pocket.

 

Cony: Don't worry, Taek

Cony: I know

Cony: Thanks

Brown: Are you okay?

Cony: A little sad

Cony: And down

Cony: I really thought he came

Brown: Then how did you know?

Cony: I told you before, I had a lot of practice with 'Taekwoon-language'

Brown: So you saw it through me?

Cony: Yeah. Don't worry though, you weren't obvious

Cony: Please don't be too mad

 

Taekwoon sighed. Hayeon's request is a tall order. He's actually really angry. He wanted Hayeon to be mad and make her ask her boyfriend why he didn't come and then pretended like he did. But it seems like Hayeon is willing to look this over so he really should, too. It wouldn't do him good to meddle more than necesarry in Hayeon's relationship.

 

Brown: I'll try

Brown: But only because you asked me to

Brown: And I won't let you let this slide a 2nd time

Cony: Thanks

Cony: For being mad for my sake

Brown: Of course, I am. Stupid.

 

He came back feeling more composed than when he left. He still didn't look at Dongho's direction or initiated a conversation with him. He told Hayeon he'll try not to be mad. But it doesn't mean he needs to act all friendly with him. It was a good thing Eunji asked to watch the performance video, giving him enough reason to ignore Hayeon's boyfriend until their friends returned from changing clothes.

 

Hayeon tried to catch his eye first thing after coming out to unite with them, then mouthed a quick 'Thank you' before Dongho came to meet her to take her things from her.

 

Note: Extra stories are now divided into Part 3: Tea Time In The Palace (for High School Arc) and Part 5: During The Carriage Ride (for College Arc)