Judgement for Treason

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

Hayeon hurries to Taekwoon's room, practically wrenching the door open and Taekwoon's surprised form filled her vision. She immediately did a visual assessment to see if everything in him was still intact. 

 

He was still in clothes that told her that he was well on his way to class for that day, his hair was obviously styled earlier but it's already a mess at this time. 

 

Under her close scrutiny, Taekwoon tried to hide his right hand which she promptly stole and inspected. His knuckles were red and there was even some dried blood. She felt more of her color drain from her face at the sight.

 

"What happened?!" she demanded, panic and worry finally catching up to her. She quickly searched his face, looking if she missed any bruises when she looked just a momemt ago but thankfully there were none.

 

Taekwoon avoiding her eyes didn't do anything to settle her down. In fact, it just agitated her more. Her best friend hadn't been okay since yesterday, actually longer than that. The things he wasn't telling her kept piling up but she didn't expect it would lead to anything this bad.

 

"How the hell did you get suspended?!" she asked, desperate for some answers because she's tired of Taekwoon not telling her anything.

 

Taekwoon actually visibly bit his lower lip, still stubbornly trying to steal his right hand back, but not really exerting much effort because he knows that doing so might hurt Hayeon in the process.

 

"Taekwoon!"

 

"Because an was getting on my nerves!" he yelled back, irritation and actual hostility visible in his usually stoic face.

 

Hayeon might've taken a while to get over with Taekwoon raising his voice if it wasn't for the situation, but as it is, she's as much as on edge as Taekwoon was, probably even more than Taekwoon at the moment. Her best friend is hurt and suspended for crying out loud, and he's still not telling her why.

 

"If he's an , then he doesn't deserve a punch that will get you suspended for a week!" Her panic and worry were quickly morphing to anger. It wasn't like Taekwoon to actually harm anyone just because they pissed him off. He usually just erases their presence. Hayeon knows there's a deeper reason for her best friend's actions but Taekwoon boiling in anger and actually yelling isn't really helping her think more wisely.

 

"He does if said is cheating on my best friend!" The intensity of Taekwoon's voice surprised her and by the look on his face, it surprised him, too. Although she thinks that the reason for his reaction was more because of letting the reason for his anger slip out of his lips rather than the volume of his voice.

 

Taekwoon snatched his hand again, stronger this time and Hayeon let him. He looked like a cornered animal, worry and hurt visible in his eyes as he stared at Hayeon. She recognized that look. She had seen it a few days ago, and even yesterday. Then suddenly... everything was clicking into place.

 

"Taek..." she muttered.

 

He obviously deflated at the words, seeing in Hayeon's face that his carefully hidden knowledge wasn't a secret anymore. "I'm sorry..." he said, his voice much quieter than the usual, as if all the fight in him had instantly evaporated.

 

Hayeon didn't reply, but she touched his arm and guided him to sit on the bed. Thankfully, he complied wordlessly this time, throwing her a defeated look under his bangs that were long enough to reach his eyes. "Stay here."

 

She went out quickly and was back as soon as Taekwoon got comfortable in his position. In her hands was a white box with a red cross, the first aid kit. She silently pulled out the antiseptic and some gauze and looked at him, quietly asking for his hand, which he gave without a fight.

 

"You should've just told me." she said while dabbing at his knuckles, being the gentlest Taekwoon had seen her. The dried blood came off and thankfully none of it was his. It eased her a little, knowing how little he's physically hurt, especially now with the knowledge that she's the reason for it.

 

He watched her work for a moment before managing to give a reply, "What would you have done?"

 

She wrapped his hand quietly, not meeting Taekwoon's eyes yet. His injuries looked mild enough to heal after a few days. 

 

"Hayeon..."

 

"I don't know? Punch him myself, I guess? At least it won't get me suspended." she said, holding his now bandaged hand. She looked at him in silent question and he answered just as silently, No. He wasn't injured anywhere else.

 

Silence settled between them, Hayeon still sitting on the floor with the first aid kit and Taekwoon looking at her from the bed. "Are you mad at me?"

 

When she started playing with his hands, it surprisingly relaxed him. At least this part here was familiar territory.

 

"I'm mad at you for getting yourself suspended for punching an ." she said, squeezing his fingers a little but not enough to hurt as she was mindful of the bandages there.

 

"Don't you love him?" he asked, hesitance in his voice loud and clear. Ah. Her boyfriend had cheated on her and everything, and Taekwoon is still so sweet to be worried about hurting him because he's Hayeon's boyfriend.

 

"Correction, I like him, probably liked now. But you, you're different. You're my best friend and I love your stupid even if you got suspended for punching my of a boyfriend, most probably soon to be ex boyfriend."

 

Honestly, she can't even muster enough of her thoughts to think about feeling betrayed or mad at her boyfriend at the moment. She's still high on adrenaline over her worry about Taekwoon and now seeing him look so down because he had to tell Hayeon about it. It looked like he wasn't even sparing a thought about his suspension or the mark it will create on his school record.

 

"Now that the cat is out of the bag, mind telling me the rest of it? You promised to tell me." she said, sitting next to his left on the bed. She also held his left hand and traced the lines on his palm to calm herself down, unknowingly calming Taekwoon down as well.

 

She would totally miss first period but she can't bring to care about that now.

 

~*~

 

After much consideration, Taekwoon finally decided to tell Hayeon. Tell her how he saw Dongho with a girl at the pasta place even if he told Hayeon that his rehearsal would be until the afternoon. He wasn't sure at that time. It could've been a friend, like how Minhyuk and Hyoyeon are or he and Hayeon. But then again, he wouldn't have any reason to lie to Hayeon if that was the case.

 

That he heard from Wonshik how often he brings girls to his room. Wonshik has no reason to lie to Taekwoon, hell he doesn't even know that Dongho is Hayeon's boyfriend, that is if Wonshik even understands the concept of a boyfriend.

 

"And yesterday?" she asks, calmly, something Taekwoon finds unexpected. But he didn't ask about it.

 

"I... I found out he was Wonshik's neighbor and... I don't know. I thought about getting you away. I don't want you even thinking about him while he bangs another girl."

 

Hayeon slid her head on his shoulder and continued to play with his hands. "Thank you."

 

"Will you tell me now how you ended up with a bruised fist and a week suspension?" she asked quietly, still heavily leaning on his side.

 

He took a deep breath, not wanting to remember but Hayeon deserves to know even if the only thing he wanted to do was to take her far away from all this. He knows she'll be hurt once everything settles down and she has time to actually think about the things that happened.

 

"I came back early to get the script I failed to get yesterday. I left last time without even knocking on Wonshik's door because I saw him came out of the room. But earlier... He was..."

 

"...was?" Hayeon urged gently.

 

"He was making out with a different girl right in front of his room and I just lost it and punched him on the face and probably a couple more, I can't really remember... Of course someone saw and well... we got reported. Since I'm the only one who did the whole violence stuff, I'm the one who got the suspension."

 

She squeezed his hand tighter, "I'm sorry and thank you."

 

He smiled a little, "At least I managed to keep my promise."

 

"Yeah."

 

~*~

 

It has been more than an hour since Hayeon left. Taekwoon didn't want her to go but she insisted, saying that she has to talk to Dongho herself. 

 

"I can take care of myself." she said as she walked out of his room.

 

He had changed out of his clothes during that time and had stressed himself unnecessarily about Hayeon's "talk" with Dongho. He had also called a very worried Eunji to explain what happened and she promised to visit, but only with Taekwoon's signal. "Hayeon needs you right now. Just call me when I can drop by." She also told Taekwoon that she'll tell Minhyuk and Hyoyeon what happened so they wouldn't ask Hayeon so much.

 

He kept his phone close, waiting for Hayeon's message or call about the situation. He wasn't expecting her to barge in his room anytime soon, which is why it was a complete surprise when she came in without knocking, marching inside with purpose.

 

"Move, I'm taking a nap here." she said, shoving him to one side of the bed.

 

"Don't you have class?" he asked, still confused about why she's here. He knows she successfully missed two of her classes earlier, he doesn't want her missing any more than that because of him.

 

"I'm suspended for three days." she said simply. Her upperbody was spread on the bed with her arms stretched wide on each side while her legs dangle at the edge.

 

"What?!” Taekwoon asked surprised, sitting up higher to look at her.

 

"I went to talk to him." she said, her eyes closed.

 

"I know that part. You said you won't get suspended." he asked in disbelief. What the hell did she do to get suspended.

 

"I wouldn't have if he didn't call your stupid. I'm the only one allowed to call you a stupid !" she sat up then, actually looking pissed now. She's even making that face she kept making during their first few days together, when they both wanted to strangle each other.

 

Taekwoon watched as she sighed right after though. Some of her hostility falling off her narrow shoulders. 

 

"I also found out why he did it. said it was my fault bacause I wasn't handing my to him that quick."

 

"Can you stop talking in terms of asses? You're a girl for crying out loud!" Taekwoon complained, but in reality, he was more than glad. Because despite what happened, Hayeon is still so strong. And if she's still her sassy self, Taekwoon would gladly sit there and talk in -language.

 

"I have a wonderful , thank you very much. Now don't interrupt me." she said, flopping back down on the bed.

 

"Fine, fine." He also laid down on the bed, but on his side, with his arm propped on his elbow and his head cushioned in his palm. He needed to keep a close watch on the play of emotions on Hayeon's face. Otherwise, she'll be able to fool him if she really is okay.

 

"So you know..." she opened her eyes, looking at Taekwoon and he saw the slight uncertainty on her face. "He went looking for other asses while my is still out of his reach."

 

It wasn't a question, but to Taekwoon it sounded like she was asking. If she did the right thing. Was it the right decision. That it isn't her fault. 

 

"You did a good job not letting an touch you." he said as an answer, combing her hair as he said it. If Hayeon needed reassurance that she did the right thing, he'll give it to her as many times as she needs because it's the truth. This isn't her fault.

 

She smiled at him, scooting closer to his side. "Thanks. I love you even if you have a flat ."

 

He groaned at that. Trust Hayeon to poke fun at him during one of the rare times he's being sweet. He considered getting back at her but he refrained from doing so. At least not today.

 

"Yes. I have a flat . Happy?"

 

The smile she gave him then made it worth it to play nice for today. "Yes!"

 

He just shook his head and stood up. "Since we'll be stuck here for a while, I'll get us something to eat." 

 

Taekwoon had only taken one step away from the bed when he felt a tug at the end of his sleeves. "Taek. Please don't leave." came Hayeon's uncharacteristically small voice.

 

Taekwoon can count with his fingers the number of times he saw Hayeon looking so small. And now, with her gripping the end of his sleeves, sitting on his bed, begging him to not leave her alone right now, will surely add to those few moments. And he hates how the numbers just keep increasing.

 

He briefly considered if he had put in enough force in his punches. And realized that it will never be enough for hurting Hayeon like this. For hurting someone as precious as her.

 

He shuffled back on the bed, automatically wrapping her in his arms as she hid her face on his chest. The shaking of her shoulders afterwards and the little whimpers growing louder by the second gave him an odd flashback to the first time he ever saw her cry. 

 

The front of his shirt got wet, his arms ached, his sides hurt from Hayeon hugging him too tight, but he honestly can't bring himself to care. Taekwoon just let her hide from the world as she abandoned her strong image in front of him.


~*~

 

She rubbed her face to his chest, sighing lightly in her sleep. After a good few hours of crying, she had finally exhausted herself and fell asleep. Taekwoon took it as a chance to stretch his arms a little. They're a little numb now from holding her for that long.

 

He wasn't able to get away much though, she clutched at his shirt bringing herself impossibly close. She looked so small like this. Asleep and with her face streaked with dried tears.

 

He realized, a bit too late, that the bed was a bit too small for the two of them. And realized much later, that although they had slept together in the same room countless times, this is the first time they're actually on the same bed.

 

Oblivious to her surroundings, Hayeon hugged Taekwoon tighter. He can feel light puffs of air around his collarbone. His arms were left awkwardly hovering on air because for the first time, Taekwoon hesitated wrapping his arms around her much smaller frame. His heart gave a little irregular beat as he finally did so, something which he promptly ignored. It has been a long day. For both of them. It's time to sleep.