Covering the Queen's Eyes

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

Taekwoon stares at the script, still very much confused how this certain scene was supposed to look. It's written down of course, but for this piece, he's once again grouped in with Wonshik. And he knows firsthand how the scriptwriter is so particular about giving the character its own life. He can't do that if he's still confused about this scene.

 

He briefly considers just calling Wonshik to ask, but then thought better of it and just decided to go to his dorm. There was still a good couple of hours before curfew anyway.

 

It only took a couple of knocks for Wonshik to answer the door. He looked as indifferent as ever, merely opening the door as a silent invitation to come in. He didn't even ask why Taekwoon was there at this time.

 

Wonshik's cheek is still slightly red. The swelling has gone down a lot after the past couple of days, but the mark was still very visible on his face. It had been quite a news. The top student of the Drama and Vocal Department, getting punched in the face by another student taking double majors also in Drama and Vocal. Taekwoon doesn't know the rest of the story yet since it really isn't in his nature to poke his nose in other's business and it isn't like Wonshik to share on his own.

 

With no further small talk, Taekwoon took out his script and pointed at the scene he was planning to inquire with Wonshik. "I wanted to know why he felt this way here." he said, elaborating a little.

 

Wonshik entertained him, drawing the world that exists in his imagination, telling Taekwoon of the life he was supposed to show through his character. Talking with Wonshik like this is always an experience Taekwoon enjoys. This is the reason he opted to consult him directly than talk through a phone. The only times Wonshik would look as animated as this is when he talks about his stories, his songs, and a certain "angel" that serves as his muse.

 

In the middle of Wonshik's story, the room next door gave a clear resounding echo of a door being opened and closed. Taekwoon was about to ignore it but then the sounds that came after, made him turn to the wall connecting the rooms.

 

"Seriously?!" he asked in obvious disbelief.

 

Wonshik just looked as unfazed as ever.

 

The sounds got a lot louder as the time passed and Taekwoon was getting the urge to punch on the wall to remind the couple in the next room that the walls are thin enough that they're heard quite clearly. But he held himself back because, if there's anyone who is supposed to be punching walls, it's Wonshik.

 

But when he turned back to him, Wonshik just had his eyes closed, as if listening to the sound.

 

"Who's your neighbor?" he asked in his usual featherlight voice.

 

Wonshik seems to think for a moment before he replied. "Rich Tenor. His low notes would be better if he just practices more."

 

Ah. That's right. He had momentarily forgotten Wonshik's penchant for giving nicknames to the people he can't remember the names of. Somehow, he can only remember people's names if he had recognized their talents.

 

Nodding, he asked again, "Is the... other person his girlfriend?"

 

"She's the third girl this week that strains her voice. They should all work with support."

 

Taekwoon will take that as a "No."

 

He looked at Wonshik again and just sighed. Well, it looks like it hardly bothers the room owner so Taekwoon chose to ignore it as well. They managed to work even with the noise from next door. It was easy enough once they concentrate on the story, they're both good with their concentration after all.

 

He leaves after a while, finally letting Wonshik get back to composing his next piece. Coincidentally, the door to the next room opened just as he came out. The girl looked at him in surprise, hurrying off ahead of Taekwoon while trying and failing to cover her face. Taekwoon recognized her as one of the Vocal students in Dongho's group during the evaluations last time. A tall girl that did the high notes for the group.

 

He didn't think much about it. It isn't his business to snoop around anyway.

 

As he got back in his room though, he belatedly realized that he left his script at Wonshik's place. But then it was already past curfew so he decided to just disturb Wonshik on a Sunday morning. He just hopes the guy wakes up early enough, he still has to ask Hayeon to read it with him.

 

~*~

 

Hayeon had always been an early riser, and usually, she's up before the majority of the student population. But for this morning alone, she found herself being carried out of her room, with her blankets and all and then promptly put down a few feet away from the dorm's bathroom.

 

Finally getting some of her senses, her vision focused on the person that so galantly disturbed her morning with such passion.

 

"Taek. What the hell?!"

 

Taekwoon merely handed her a bundle of her bath towel. "Your change of clothes is in there. If you don't like them, change afterwards."

 

"It's o'clock in the morning!" she argued. Hayeon was quite sure the bathroom stalls were still empty around this time.

 

"Just take your bath. We're going out." Taekwoon insisted.

 

Her sleep muddled mind finally processed Taekwoon's expression. "Hey." she called gently, tugging the end of Taekwoon's sleeve lightly. "What's wrong?"

 

Taekwoon just sighed, "I'll wait for you in your room."

 

Hayeon was left awkwardly standing there as Taekwoon turned and left. Something was definitely wrong and she has to talk to Taekwoon to find out what it is.

 

She took a quick bath, not even having enough thoughts to spare to feel embarrassed over Taekwoon including her a set of underwear in the change of clothes he prepared for her. She was too occupied with Taekwoon's troubled expression. He looked mad and hurt at the same time and her heart ached to see him like that.

 

She finished in record time, finding Taekwoon sprawled on her bed with the red hair ties right next to him and a comb clutched in his right hand.

 

"Could you turn around for a moment? I need to change. These clothes are for going out." she said already opening her closet to search for something a lot more comfortable.

 

"Yeonie. Sit here, I'll do your hair."

 

Hayeon stopped in her search for clothes. Even Taekwoon's tone sounds like he's begging, even if she's the only one who can recognize it as such. She hears the unspoken word loud and clear, "Please."

 

She slumped her shoulder a little and sat in front of him. She heard the sound of the hair dryer before she felt Taekwoon's fingers on her scalp. He's always so gentle when he touches her hair.

 

Taekwoon didn't speak like she thought he would do. He only worked quietly with doing her hair. She was given a few minutes to do her make up. But she was too worried about him to actually put much. She only did a little and then Taekwoon was leading her out of the building.

 

They were sitting with a tower of pancakes on their table for breakfast when Hayeon finally found it in her to ask. "What's up, Taek?"

 

Not only did Taekwoon brought them to the mall on his own, he also paid for their food, which was something totally unusual.

 

"Just savor the moment. I'm feeling nice today."

 

She knows that's bull but the crease in between Taekwoon's eyebrows has decreased ever since they sat down for breakfast so she let it go. Her top priority right now is making Taekwoon get out of his foul mood even if he still refused to tell her anything.

 

They spent the entire day together. Watched a cheesy movie that Taekwoon absolutely hated but Hayeon loved, also paid by Taekwoon. They even went to a pasta place for lunch. Taekwoon also tugged her towards a shop that sold various equipments and ingredients for baking. She insisted on paying but just realized she didn't bring either her phone or wallet.

 

"I'll pay for them." Taekwoon declared.

 

"I'll pay you later." she said, a little embarrassed.

 

"No need to."

 

She decided not to argue for now. Taekwoon looked a lot better now than this morning and she didn't want to ruin his good mood.

 

They ate dinner outside, too. At the restaurant they both liked and since Hayeon didn't have her money with her, Taekwoon paid for it too without a single word of complaint.

 

He stayed in her room afterwards. Taekwoon had pulled her laptop out as she changed out of her clothes and washed up. He already has a kpop variety show playing when she got to her bed, with a bag of chips out of Hayeon's stash of junk food.

 

They watched, Hayeon laughed while Taekwoon just smiled. The thought of squeezing him out for details about his foul mood this morning had been forgotten in the midst of the wondeful mood that settled between them as the night deepened.

 

Hayeon woke up, tucked in her bed. Her laptop lay quietly on her bedside table with a note on top of it.

 

You fell asleep. See you tomorrow.

 

She smiled. Maybe she should take him out for dinner later as thanks for yesterday. She went with her usual morning routine and got ready for another Monday.

 

~*~

 

"Hayeon! What happened?!" Hyoyeon's worried voice welcomed her as she entered the dance room.

 

"What do you mean?" she asked confused, settling her bag and water bottle down.

 

"Taekwoon got a week suspension! It was posted in the Drama Department's bulletin board. I mean, that's what I heard from Junmyeon."

 

Hayeon froze. A thousand different scenarios running through her head. She considered calling him but she was running out of the dance room before she even has time to process her thoughts. The only thing in her mind at the moment was to see with her own eyes that Taekwoon is okay. 

 

Was it connected to his mood yesterday? Why didn't she push? Why didn't she ask more persistently? Why the hell did she let Taekwoon pamper her when he was the one obviously distressed? Why was she so stupid?!

 

She ran out so fast with only Taekwoon in mind, hoping and praying that nothing was wrong and that he was okay. Please let him be okay.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Akira: In case some of you haven't seen, Part 6: The Jester And The Minstrel (A RaBin spin-off) is already up. A story focused on RaBin in the same universe as The Queen And The Ice Prince. The timeline is also set the same ^^