A Glimpse of Each Kingdom

On Their Way To The Royal Ball

Mrs. Cha was finalizing the food that Hayeon will be bringing when her youngest daughter finally came down from her room upstairs with an empty backpack behind her. They had finished moving all of her things to the university dormitory the day before so she doesn't really have anything more to bring today.

 

"Mom, did you pack the cupcakes I made last night?" she asked, standing behind her mother and sneaking a cookie from the neatly arranged containers.

 

"Yes, dear." she answered with a smile.

 

"Thanks, mom. You're the best." She then to let her mom finish packing. She walked away from the kitchen then straight to their living room.

 

Mrs. Cha tried to listen in to what her daughter was doing but the living room was too far from the kitchen to actually know what she's up to just from the sounds alone. She had already given up trying to listen when she heard Hayeon gave an irritated grunt. Just from that alone she already knows that Taekwoon...

 

"That vampire! I swear if he didn't cook any lunch today..." The rest was drowned by another irritated groan from her daughter. Mrs. Cha just laughed. She already half expects the boy to be still on bed. Taekwoon, after all, isn't such a morning person like Hayeon and would often sleep the morning off during the times that he sleeps over at their house.

 

"Hayeon? I'm done with this." she called over.

 

Hayeon appeared back in the kitchen, still with that displeased expression on her face. "Thanks, mom." she said, giving her mother a peck on the cheek. "I'll leave now. Taekwoon turned off his phone on me again." she complained. 

 

She smiled and gave Hayeon a peck, too. "Don't be too hard on him, okay?"

 

"I'll try." she said, packing the containers in the backpack she just brought. After waving her mother goodbye, she went out the door to head to Taekwoon's house. Mrs. Cha just shook her head, amazed once again how Taekwoon can handle Hayeon almost everyday. She knows her daughter isn't the kindest with her words, too much, more often than not, and she's glad the boy learned to tune her out or filter through her words to see the sweet girl underneath it all. 

 

~*~

 

Mr. Jung was wiping the car dry when he saw Hayeon's approaching figure, a red backpack behind her impossible to miss.

 

"Good morning." he greeted.

 

"Good morning, sir." she greeted back politely.

 

"Go in. I think he's back in bed." he told her with a smile. With how her face morphed into a scowl as she glanced at the direction of Taekwoon's bedroom, he already knows that she had already tried calling his son and most probably got ignored or the boy had turned off his phone on her again.

 

Hayeon smiled again as she faced him, gave a polite bow and went in the house. He got back to wiping the car, smiling. If he'll estimate this right, they'll be ready to leave in around 30 minutes or so.

 

~*~

 

As she put the last plate on the table, Hayeon came in through the door giving her a smile and a polite bow. "Good morning, ma'am." she greeted.

 

"Good morning, sweetie."

 

Hayeon took off her backpack and settled it on the sofa, no doubt full of all kinds of pastries that she baked. Those actually were the main reason Taekwoon had managed to haul himself out of bed early enough to cook lunch enough for two people, before grumbling and going back to bed a few minutes ago.

 

"Did Taekwoon..." Hayeon let her question hang in the air.

 

Mrs. Jung laughed a little, "Don't worry. He made lunch, but he did snuggle back upstairs afterwards." she answered. She also made a gesture upstairs, giving Hayeon permission to go and terrorize Taekwoon's follow up nap.

 

She smiled and run up the stairs with light steps. There was silence for a few beats before...

 

"Wake up, you oaf! Freshman orientation starts at 10 a.m.!"

 

"Go away! Let me sleep!"

 

Mrs. Jung tuned them out. She was too used with the two of them bickering almost non stop, but also for some reason, they can handle each other so well. She's especially amazed with Hayeon's tenacity. She knows that her son isn't the kindest with his words, or lack thereof, but Hayeon had learned to read in between the silence and the little gestures and see the soft boy that he really is.

 

The two of them came down a few moments later with a disgruntled Taekwoon and a smiling Hayeon.

 

"Eat breakfast, kids, so you can leave early." she beckoned.

 

Hayeon seated herself in her usual seat. She has been there often enough that the Jung house felt the need to give her an official seat on the table, Taekwoon had told them that he has a similar space in the Cha house.

 

After calling Taekwoon's father to sit on the breakfast table as well, they ate neatly but quickly and Taekwoon slowly came back to the world of the living. By the time he was finished with the meal, he was wide awake and didn't need to be told to get ready to leave. 

 

While her son was gone to freshen up, Mrs. Jung arranged the two kids' lunch and put it neatly in a bag, while Mr. Jung went out to start the car.

 

Everyone was all set and ready to leave in a few minutes and Taekwoon gave his mother a one armed hug, towering at least a head taller than her, while Hayeon gave her a tight hug telling her that they will be careful on the road and in university even before she can wish them well.

 

"Everyone ready?" Mr. Jung asked through the doorway.

 

They said their goodbyes to Taekwoon's mother and left to leave with the older Jung who will drive them to their dormitories.

 

Mrs. Jung smiled as she waved them off outside as the car disappeared around the corner, happy that the two kids will have each other in this new page in their lives.

 

-------------------

 

Akira: I just thought a glimpse of how each other's family view their friendship is necessary ^^