Realization

Age
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m telling you it’s weird Eunha. Everything with him seems to be off after that party. What could have possibly happened?”

“I don’t know what to do Mina. I’m sorry. I’m not a couples therapist.”

Eunha set down her set of tea and glanced at her best friend. Eunha looked around the crowded cafe, wondering what others were talking about, and if anyone else was as oblivious as Mina. At first, Eunha wondered why Mina would have invited her out this late to have coffee, but once she saw Mina’s worried face, she knew the cause; that bastard Kang Daniel.

Eunha studied Mina’s worried face, remembering how it used to look when they were kids. Eunha noticed the bags under Mina’s eyes, noticed the crinkles by her eyes when she smiled, and she noticed that although Mina wore a smile on her face, it was only to cover how she truly felt.

Same smile.

Same laughter.

Same habits.

Same person.

Yet, everything was different.

Everything was the same, except how Mina now wore a ring on her ring finger and how Eunha's was empty; still waiting for her.

It was that ring that changed everything for both Mina and Eunha. And how one of them didn’t know the toll it took on the others person’s life when they wore it.

It made Eunha envious of Daniel once he snatched away the person she loved the most, but soon jealousy stemmed into hate once their rocky marriage stemmed into a crumbling mess.

Mina fidgeted with her wedding ring on her finger, unknowingly making faces along with it, only making Eunha fall for her harder.

Eunha then sighed audibly, catching the attention of a once spaced out Mina.

“Please Eunha. I know you don’t like Daniel,” Mina reached out and grasped Eunha’s hand, “but something’s not right and I need your help to find out what it is.”

Eunha stared at their interlocked fingers, wondering what it would be like without anyone else in the picture. If it was just the two of them, their interlocked fingers and the night sky. But Eunha was never one to believe in happily ever afters, and she had already come to terms with not having hers.

Eunha sat up straight, untangling their fingers, “What’s been so different ever since the party Mina?”

“I’m not sure it's just-it’s just that Daniel never worries about what he’s going to wear and just tonight, I saw him standing in front of his closet for over an hour trying to choose what to wear. And when I asked where he was going he couldn’t stop saying um! I’m going crazy aren’t I?”

Eunha ran her fingers through her short blonde hair, debating whether or not if she should tell Mina what she was truly thinking.

“I mean you don’t sound crazy Mina, It’s just-” Eunha began, trying not to insinuate that Daniel is cheating on her, “maybe it’s just a bad time for him? I don’t know? Try and get more information and once we have enough we can come to a conclusion alright?”

“Alright,” Mina mumbled, turning her face towards the window.

“Oh cmon Mina. I hate to see you upset like this. How about we go pick little Woojin up from your babysitters, go back home pop some popcorn and watch a movie just the three of us.” Eunha tried convincing, but Mina still wouldn’t budge.

Eunha leaned forward, turning Mina’s face to hers, “If you want I can also buy you chocolate….”

Suddenly a wide smile spread across Mina’s face, “Deal!”

“Great! Let’s get going now alright?”

Although Eunha knew she would never have Mina to herself, she knew her one job was to keep Mina happy; a job Daniel had been unsuccessful at for years.

~

“Okay, so you’re telling me that the first time you used a peel-off face mask you put it on your eyebrows?”

“Hey! At least you didn’t have to see yourself in the mirror without eyebrows for about a month. Just imagine the pain I felt each time I happened to pass a mirror. The image still haunts me today.”

Daniel’s eyes widened. "You mean you—” A roar of laughter escaped his mouth as tears streamed down his face.

“Omg that was too much omg,” Daniel giggled, wiping the tears from his face.

“You want to know something better?”

“What?”

“I have pictures.”

“ONG SEONGWOO PLEASE SHOW ME THEM RIGHT NOW! I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE RIGHT MCFRICKIN NOW!” Daniel howled, covering his mouth with his hand.

Seongwoo shortly after pulled out his phone, showing a glum-looking version of himself without eyebrows.

“Oh. My. God.” Daniel snorted, “Seongwoo I think you just made my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter