Fate

Age
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daniel noticed how everyone had changed. He noticed how Minhyun’s once black hair now became sprinkled with gray. He noticed that when Jisung laughed, his wrinkles burrow farther into his face. He noticed how the bags underneath Jonghyun’s eyes kept getting deeper and bluer. He noticed how his wife, Mina, had began gradually aging; and how he was not.

Daniel and Mina had been dating years before any of his friends found their true love, yet he found he was the only one not changing.

He gazed into the bathroom mirror, praying that this would be the day where he would find his first gray hair. And just like every other day; he was wrong.

He kept hoping that one day he would spot change in himself, yet deep down he knew that would never happen. Daniel ealised long ago that he and Mina weren't meant to be, but he kept convincing himself that if Mina was aging; so could he.

Daniel slid down the bathroom's wooden door, hugging his knees to his chest, hoping this all was a bad dream and that he could somehow change how he felt about Mina. His heart ached as he thought of all the meaningless I love you’s and empty sorry’s. His head spun thinking about how Mina was on the other side of that door, anticipating to give him his good morning kiss.

Daniel’s train of thought was soon derailed when he felt someone pounding on the door, begging to get in.

“Daddy! Please open up! I really have to pee!”

Daniel quickly stood up and let Woojin brush past him in a desperate attempt to use the bathroom.

“Woojin,” Daniel kneeled down to his son’s eye level as the other now washed his hands, “What did daddy tell you about using the bathroom?”

“Daddy said not to hold your pee in and to go when I have to.”

“And did you follow daddy’s rule?”

“No…” Woojin sheepishly admitted.

Daniel ruffled Woojin’s hair, falling victim to the other’s cuteness once again. “It’s okay Woojin, just remember next time okay?”

“Okay, Daddy!” The happy three-year-old sang, looking at his father proudly.

“Now go get dressed or you’ll be late for daycare, okay?”

In response, the three-year-old ran out of the bathroom into the hallway, where Daniel could hear his feet pattering along until he reached his room.

although Daniel knew he would never be able to love Mina like she loves him, he was willing to stay for the sake of their son Woojin.

Woojin was the light of Daniel’s life, and although he hates to admit it, he knows he would have been long gone if it wasn’t for Mina’s sudden pregnancy. Even though Woojin was unexpected, he was the one thing in Daniel’s life that he did not regret.

Daniel hated himself for not being able to love Mina. Her sparkling eyes, breathtaking smile, dazzling personality and not to mention a great body; was everything a guy would look for in a girl; but instead of hearing his heart beat faster and feeling butterflies in his stomach around her, he somehow felt numb. Everything in his life felt numb, except when he was with his three-year-old son, Woojin.

It made him think that with the love he has for Woojin, there could be a possibility of him aging. And once again; he was very, very wrong.

Daniel walked into the kitchen, the sound of bacon sizzling on the stove echoing throughout the tiny walls of their apartment.  He tried to walk in quietly, but the squeaky floorboard beneath him didn’t agree with his previous plan. Mina turned away from the stove and gave Daniel a bright smile, wearing the apron he had gotten her from the Christmas before.

“Baby, aren’t you supposed to be at work now?” Mina came over and put her hand on Daniel’s lower back.

Daniel glanced at the clock, realizing that he will yet again be late for work.

“Oh crap, you’re right.” He grabbed his suitcase sitting at the door.  “Before I forget to tell you, I’m going to miss dinner tonight. I need to go to Hyunbin's going away party; the kid really wants me there.”

Mina put the back of her hand on Daniel’s forehead. “You’ve seemed really out of it recently; do you feel well? Are you sick?”

“I’m okay Mina. Just tired. I’ll see you later.” Daniel quickly said, packing his things up for work and walking out the door.

Mina raised her eyebrow at the door, sensing there was something else bothering her husband. Her hands rested on her hips, a bad habit she had picked up from her mother, as she wondered what was wrong with her husband. A loud banging noise in the kitchen made her run off in the opposite direction, making her forget about her strange behaving husband.

~

“Let’s say cheers to our dear Hyunbin as he embarks on a journey to America!” Someone shouts, making everyone clinch their champagne glasses.

Soft music beings playing throughout the crowded penthouse as lively conversation bounces off its spacious walls.

As Daniel leaned against the kitchen counter sipping his champagne, as his eyes wandered throughout the crowd studying everyone’s faces. He wondered how many of them have found the one, or if they were sitting here like Daniel, thinking about finding them. Daniel made sure to stand in the background, skillfully blending into his surroundings. But little did he know, he had already caught the attention of more than

These days Daniel preferred not to leave his house often, other than going to work. He figured if he didn’t leave his house he wouldn’t get questioned on how well he’s “aging” and how he really doesn’t look his age.

Daniel knew rumors would start flying around about him aging, and in order to keep them from spreading, he decided isolating himself from the world would work out best. All Daniel thought he needed was time, but because the world has a cynical sense of humor, that is not what he needed at all.

“Well isn’t it the world famous Kang Daniel!” A loud voice erupted in the midst

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter