By Secret, a Friend

Midnight Altar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinwoo noticed Hanbin's gaze one day. He was sitting on the floor, occasional light from the stage illuminate his face. He looked good, but without make ups he could not hide those dark smudges under his eyes, suggesting the younger man had trouble sleeping. He would know; after all, the same smudges marred his own. It wasn't weird, because Hanbin spent as much as in the recording studio as Jinwoo in training room. 

 

He wondered what could trouble the man. Was he trying too hard? Was this program too harsh for the other team? But then he noticed Hanbin was staring at something--or someone, he supposed--unmoving. Jinwoo followed his gaze to find one Kim Jiwon, sleeping on aligned chairs backstage. 

 

Bobby, his mind supplied. Why would Hanbin be staring him-

 

It was as if something clicked in his brain, and Jinwoo snapped his head back towards Hanbin. . It made sense, all those sleepless night away from the dorm. Looking at him again, there was no way he didn't recognise that pathetic look on his face. He stared at one everyday in front of the mirror.

 

Hanbin was in love with Bobby.

 

That... Complicates things. 

 

Without thinking, Jinwoo walked towards Hanbin.

 

"Hanbin-ah."

 

As if slapped, Hanbin looked at Jinwoo quickly. He flinched, like a child caught doing something naughty. His eyes dilated, his breathing visible speeds up.

 

"H-hyung?"

 

Jinwoo was the eldest of the bunch, but he knew he was never the smartest. It never crossed his mind that someone from team B might have the same problem as he did.

 

Hanbin was a leader. A good one. The burden he has was tremendous already as the leader of his group, yet he managed to lead his team to victory battle after battle. 

 

But that didn't alter the fact that he was just a young man. Though capable of amazing feats, he was still an awkward little thing, buried in problems boys that age shouldn't have to face. To add to the mix, Jinwoo knew that liking the same was confusing at first. You have no one to talk to, in fear of rejection from your peers. 

 

Shouldn't Jinwoo be a shoulder to lean on?

 

Shouldn't Jinwoo be a model to look up to? 

 

Hanbin was close to Bobby. They were like brothers already; relationship forged from hardship as trainees. While some might argue that closer relation was harder to move to the next step, he need to think of the facts. 

 

The losing team might get divided up.

 

Members might get changed.

 

Jinwoo was barely that close to Mino. Even with his endless attempts to stick close to the man, Mino was much closer to Seunghoon, as they were both in the rapper line and work more often together. 

 

Shouldn't Jinwoo back off?

 

Shouldn't Jinwoo knows his place?

 

Jinwoo approached Hanbin and sat on the floor next to him. Absentmindedly, he could hear Hanbin's breath hitched at the sudden move.

 

"I see you."

 

At once, his demeanour became panicked. Jinwoo supposed he could be a little bit gentler, or he could chose to seem unaware, but quickly scoffed at the thought. He was being nice enough as it is. Talking about it will ease up the leader, and it was not like anyone would overhear, with the music blasting and people running around for the last stage check.

 

"W-what are you talk- it's not-"

 

Jinwoo almost snarled at him, but managed to hold it last minute. His distaste must have shown, though, because the younger quickly snapped his mouth shut.

 

Jinwoo sighed. "I'm not stupid, you know."

 

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to imply-"

 

"Of course, of course," Jinwoo waved it off. "Never mind that." 

 

The older one then lean his head on Hanbin's shoulder, not bothering to ask. The younger was in nervous wreck as it was, he would not mind. Silently, he looked at the problematic spot in front of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter