Chapter Six: My Heartbreak!!

My Love Story!!

In a great mood, excited to see his crush once again, Taekwoon hurried up to the roof top at lunch time, only to be met with a rather sombre Wonshik. Concerned, he walked over to their bench and sat down, furrowing his brow.

"Wonshik?"

"Hm? Oh, hey Taekwoonie~!" Wonshik seemed to brighten up a bit, but it was clear something was on his mind. "How are you?"

"Fine, I guess," Taekwoon shrugged. "Worried about you. What's wrong?"

"Oh, I..." Wonshik trailed off, staring off into the distance. "...Jaewhan asked me out on a date."

Taekwoon's heart sank.

"Ah... r-really?" he asked, trying his best to hide his jealousy. "That's... that's cool..."

"...Do you think I should say yes?"

No!

"I mean... I-If you think it'd make you happy," Taekwoon forced a weak smile. He was finding it hard to cover up how devastated he felt. As much as he liked Wonshik, all he really wanted was for him to be happy. Oblivious to the fact Wonshik liked him back, Taekwoon figured that Wonshik would be happy if he went out with Jaewhan, and decided to put his crush's feelings before his own. He had no idea Wonshik was asking him in hopes that he would object and confess to him. "S-sure, you should say yes..."

"Oh..."

"I'm happy for you, Wonshik," Taekwoon lied.

The boys ate their lunch in silence.

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

Taekwoon couldn't concentrate in class, and for the first time in his life, wound up getting a detention. Although this upset him, he was kind of grateful for it, as it meant that he had an excuse to skip music club. He couldn't barely stand sitting next to Jaewhan in class, let alone having to sit through music club with him. After detention, Taekwoon was surprised to find Wonshik waiting at the gate for him, despite him being an hour late.

"Wonshik?"

"Taekwoon, where were you? You missed music club-"

"I got a detention," Taekwoon explained with a sigh.

"I guess I'm a bad influence on you," Wonshik joked, causing Taekwoon to smile weakly. "That's better. You look great when you smile, Taekwoonie-"

"You didn't have to wait for me-"

"I wanted to. Let me walk you home?"

"O-Okay..."

The boys walked home together in silence.

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

"Woonie, you're home late-"

"I got a detention."

"What? I raised you to be better than that-"

"W-Wonshik has a date!" Taekwoon suddenly burst into tears, running up to his room and locking the door behind himself so that he could be alone. He lay down in bed, crying his eyes out by himself. He was heartbroken - he had planned to confess to Wonshik after school, but now...

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

"Wonshik? Are you okay? You seem a little distracted," Jaewhan mumbled. The two had gone out for food together, but Wonshik had spent most of their date silent and spaced out.

"Hm? Yeah. I'm fine."

"You don't seem fine-"

"I'm fine, Jaewhan," Wonshik repeated in a harsher tone. Of course, he wasn't fine at all - he was heartbroken. He was hoping that Taekwoon liked him back, but having encouraged him to go on a date with someone else, Wonshik had come to the conclusion that Taekwoon didn't like him after all. He was wrong, but he didn't know - he was oblivious to the fact Taekwoon was simply putting him first in his own way. 

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

"Woonie? Can I come in?"

"Whatever..." Taekwoon replied weakly, a little bit exhausted from crying. He pushed himself up into a sitting position, sighing before standing up and walking over to his bedroom door to unlock it. Afterwards, he flopped back down on the bed, not paying attention to Hakyeon as he entered the room and sat down on the bed next to him. 

"Woonie?"

"What?"

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Hakyeon frowned, rubbing his brother's back to try and comfort him. Taekwoon sighed, weakly pushing himself up into a sitting position once again.

"...I really like him, Yeonie..."

"I know. I could tell," he smiled weakly. "Why haven't you told him, then?"

"I was going to, today, but then he told me someone had asked him out and... well, he asked me if he should say yes. I want him to be happy, Yeonie, so I tried to be supportive, but... it hurts... it really hurts."

"Wait... he asked you if he should say yes?"

"Yeah...."

"Woonie, I think you need to talk to him," Hakyeon sighed. "I think he probably has something to tell you, too."

"What's the point?" Taekwoon sighed, sinking back into his bed, grabbing a pillow to cuddle for comfort. "Yeonie?"

"Yeah, Woonie?"

"Will you make me a hot chocolate?"

Hakyeon sighed. "Sure, Woonie."

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

After several days of avoiding Wonshik, Taekwoon sighed as he spotted him waiting at the gate for him after school. He looked down at his feet, hoping Wonshik wouldn't spot him as he rushed past him but Wonshik did spot him, and grabbed his wrist, pulling him aside.

"W-Wonshik-"

"Taekwoonie, why have you been ignoring me?" Wonshik asked bluntly, clearly hurt. 

Because I want you to be happy. Because I don't want to get in the way of your relationship. Because I really like you. Because I like you so much it makes my heart hurt. Because I couldn't stand to see you with someone else. Because I think I might love you-

"I-I'm sorry," Taekwoon's voice cracked as he started to cry. It was the first time Wonshik had seen Taekwoon cry, and it broke his heart. Tenderly, he pulled his best friend into a hug, holding him tight with one hand as he his hair with the other.

"Hey... hey, it's okay..."

"No, no it isn't..." Taekwoon sobbed into Wonshik's shoulder, holding him close. "Nothing's okay..." he mumbled under his breath.

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

Once Taekwoon had regained his composure, the two went to the nearest cafe to talk. Wonshik ordered their drinks for them - a vanilla latte for Taekwoon, his favourite, and an Americano for himself. As they talked over their drinks, it was like nothing had changed between the two, and Taekwoon was beginning to feel better. That was until the subject of Wonshik's date came up.

"So... how did it go...?" Taekwoon asked quietly, looking out of the window to avoid eye contact.

"How did what go?"

"Your... date..." he grimaced.

"Oh... I dunno. Fine, I guess?" Wonshik shrugged, unaware the date was what had caused the rift in their friendship.

"S-sorry," Taekwoon muttered, standing up. "I have to go-"

"What? W-why?" Wonshik barely managed to ask before Taekwoon ran out of the cafe, leaving Wonshik behind. He sighed, sinking back down into his seat. 

What have I done wrong?

Wonshik frowned.