Chapter 9

Lost Cause

Iseul’s heart pounded in her chest. She knew her happiness would never last around Nara and Byunghun. He would return to her just like he always did and Iseul would be left alone. As always. It made her so frustrated. Did she do something so bad in her past life that she had to endure the never ending pain? It wasn’t fair! Iseul waited for the moment that Byunghun would go to Nara’s side but it seemed like waiting for a heat wave in the middle of this winter.

Byunghun shifted nervously, “What are you doing here Nara?”

Nara’s nose flared in anger as her brows creased above her dark, soulless eyes. “I’ve been waiting for you ever since you told me that you would meet me,” she replied in an accusing voice, “But I see you are having more fun with her!”

Iseul watched back and forth from the two and wondered what was going on. She noticed the fury lighted up with white fire in Nara’s eyes. Iseul wondered again, what Nara had against her. But then it immediately clicked. She was the one married to Byunghun, not Nara. Iseul’s thoughts were interrupted by Nara’s raised voice.

“DID YOU EVEN TELL HER?”

Byunghun looked at Nara with sad eyes. They pleaded her not to do anything rash and not to tell anything either. But Nara wasn’t having it. She was too hurt and upset to care any further. If Nara couldn’t have Byunghun, then neither would Iseul.

Iseul watched in confusion. What was supposed to be told to her? Judging by Byunghun’s reaction, she wasn’t supposed to know.

“Tell me what?” Iseul asked. Nara scoffed before rolling her eyes. She turned to face Iseul; her face was contorted with anger and betrayal, “Your lovely husband-”

Byunghun clenched his fists and closed his eyes with invisible patience, “Kim Nara!” he growled in a menacing voice. Byunghun suddenly had the urge to protect Iseul from the truth. Even if he couldn’t remember a thing that night, what would come out of Nara’s mouth and if he was pretty sure about Iseul liking him, the news would shatter Iseul.

Nara stomped her feet, “No Byunghun! It is so tiring having to wait for you! And now that you’re married, it makes it so convenient doesn’t it?”

“If it is so tiring then why do you have to do this?” Byunghun retorted, “Please...she doesn’t deserve any of this” he finished with a calmer tone of voice.

Iseul was beyond confusion now. They were keeping something away from her and she didn’t know whether she wanted to hear it or not because Byunghun seemed awfully worried about it. “If nobody is going to say anything-” Iseul was cut off by Nara.

“I slept with your husband!” Nara blurted.

The words seemed to appear in letters around Iseul as she digested the secret that the two were trying so hard to hide. They seemed to attack her with brute force at her heart until she suddenly felt cold again. Today, Iseul thought that maybe, just maybe things would get better. Hell, she even pinned her hopes up thinking that maybe Byunghun could even begin to like her. But now, she finally understood.

Byunghun would never be hers.

Iseul felt the anger course through her blood. Everything was going wrong in her life because of these two! Why had she put up with it for so long? Her jaw tightened and she flashed a dangerous stare towards Nara.

It startled Nara a little while Byunghun stood hopelessly, not sure of what to do. He noticed the change in Iseul and knew things were finished before they properly started.

Iseul spoke again, this time her voice was lower and much darker, “You, what kind of woman goes round, pining after husbands and sleeps with them? You’re disgusting!”

Nara opened to speak but quickly closed it seeing the warning look in Iseul’s eyes, knowing that if she pressed on further, Iseul may harm her in more ways.

Iseul turned to Byunghun, her eyes piercing through his, “You wanted to get rid? Fine, I’ll file for the divorce now if I have to; you both deserve each other” She then turned her back on the two and entered the house with haste.

 

Outside, Byunghun stood dumbfounded. It had happened all too quick. He heard Nara’s faint voice, “Oppa...”

Byunghun bit his lip in impatience and raised his hand to silence Nara, “Do you realize what you have done?”

Nara remained silent and lowered her head.

“Nara, you have just ruined everything!” Byunghun roared louder, “I don’t want to see you, leave!”

Nara began to protest but Byunghun intervened, “Now!”

As she left, Byunghun his set of keys and entered the house quietly and headed to the room he knew he would find Iseul.

 

Iseul had locked herself in the master bedroom. She leaned her back against the door. The pain in her chest was overwhelming. She clutched to her clothes tightly, tugging it in frustration, knowing that the hot tears would spill any second.

Her lips tried to withhold the sobs but her voice cracked in a whine of hurt. Iseul’s body slid down to the floor hopelessly tears fell down her once happy face with no sign of stopping.

The tears kept coming as she recalled everything.

The moments every morning where she would see Byunghun and Nara, sleeping beside each other, nursing their hangovers. The two laughing and playing with each other.

Then the memories of today would return. Everything would hit her so fast that it sent her into another round of tears. Iseul’s body shook as she sobbed into her hands as she thought that it was all they would be now. Memories.

She suddenly heard knocking. Iseul wiped the her wet face as if someone would come in and see her. “What?” she said, her voice hoarse with all the crying and wavering violently as she felt her eyes blur with an overflow of wetness.

“Let me in please” she heard Byunghun’s voice. It was so small and regretful.

“No” Iseul instantly replied, “Leave me alone now Byunghun, that’s what you wanted right, to be rid of me. So I’m giving you the divorce you wanted...Nara will be pleased” she finished bitterly.

Byunghun groaned, “Please open the door, a divorce isn’t what I want”

Iseul closed her eyes, more tears falling as she did, “It’s what I want now”

“Look, I was drunk and I don’t even remember anything” Byunghun tried to reason desperately.  Iseul scoffed, “Yeah well, that makes me feel a lot better now Byunghun, just go”

On the other side of the door, Byunghun rested his forehead on it and exasperation. If only she would open the door. Byunghun slid down and sat on the ground, “I’m not leaving Iseul. I’ll camp out here until you open the goddamn door”

There was silence now from both parties. Iseul wondered if he really would stay put; she wasn’t going to risk it by opening the door. She sniffed like an upset child and hugged her knees while resting her head on the top.

It wasn’t long before slumber invaded both Byunghun and Iseul. Today was just too tiring for them to carry on arguing.

Byunghun mumbled softly in his sleep, “...Sorry...” He hoped dearly that when he woke up, it would all be just part of a horrible nightmare.

 

*sigh* At last! Phew~ My back is aching after sitting up and typing! ^^

 

 

 

....PS...dont kill me for this chapter *aegyo* xD