Chapter 8

Lost Cause

Iseul squealed as she sat on the pool ledge and let her legs dangle freely in the sparkling pool. The dolphins would playfully nudge their noses at her legs and occasionally splash the water with their flippers. There was a permanent smile fixed on Iseul's face while she played with the dolphins. She looked up to see Byunghun on the phone to someone at the other side of the pool. Her smile became pitiful. Pitiful of herself. No matter what would happen between the couple, there was always something pulling them farther apart than they already were. Iseul's gaze returned to the pool and the dolphins and her content face returned.

Byunghun glanced at Iseul, only for his head to double-take. His lips formed a smile while he watched Iseul play with the water, kicking her legs and bringing her hands close to the dolphins. He momentarily forgot about his conversation on the phone and just let his eyes get lost in Iseul’s shining face. His hearing became defected because now all he could hear was her harmonious laugh, that rang through every cell of his body. That laugh. Byunghun cursed himself for not being able to hear it earlier.

The other end of the phone line continuously called out his name, only to be ignored.

“Byunghun...Byunghun...BYUNGHUN OPPA!” The voice shouted.

Byunghun finally got out of his hypnotic trance, “Er yeah?”

There was a huffed sigh, “I’ve been calling you for ages. What are you doing? I wanted to check up on you but no one was home. Not even that wife of yours”

Byunghun's brows creased at the tone of voice used when Iseul was mentioned, “Nara, I'm out, I can't meet with you”

Nara shrugged from the other line, “I’ll meet you then"

Byunghun bit his lip. The thought of anyone joining him and Iseul annoyed him for some reason, “I-”

He was interrupted by an eruption of giggles and screams that caught his attention. Iseul had decided to go into the pool and now she was surrounded with playful dolphins. Byunghun caught sight of her shoulders; everything else was a blur of blues and skin, but it was enough for Byunghun to lose his train of thoughts again.

Unfortunately, Byunghun wasn't the only one to hear Iseul. Nara gasped softly. She had figured out as much by now that Iseul and Byunghun were together, “Byunghun oppa...you're with Iseul.” It was more of a statement than question, as if she was letting the information sink in.

“Nara...Iseul and I were tricked and we're simply doing what CAP organized” Byunghun reasoned with his friend. He couldn't understand why he did but it was like he owed it to Nara.

“So you two are on a date?”

Byunghun sighed and he too wondered if they were on a date but had to hurry and answer Nara, “No...It’s not a date”

Nara sniffed. Byunghun hated to see crying people and Nara knew that, “So you would come over now to me then?”

Byunghun once again bit his lips in nervousness. Deep down he didn't want to leave Iseul, especially when things might have been getting somewhere. He sighed, “Nara-“

“Please” Nara begged. Byunghun sighed again, “Sure”

There was a giggle from Nara and she ended the conversation with a sweet thanks. Her laugh was nothing compared to what Iseul's laugh did to Byunghun.

He walked dejectedly towards to the side Iseul was at. His steps slowed down, not wanting to get there yet; otherwise it would mean he would have to leave. It was a weird feeling he couldn't make sense of. But the inevitable moment occurred. Byunghun stood near the edge of the pool, biting his lips and wondering what he should do.

Iseul was oblivious of his presence since she was too absorbed in the creatures in the water with her. That was until Byunghun cleared, grabbing her attention. She stopped for a moment and looked at Byunghun and realised she was no longer wearing her jacket. He blushing cheeks were not unnoticed by Byunghun. He found himself smiling at her shyness.

“I think we-” Byunghun was interrupted by another fit of giggles as one of the dolphins ticked at Iseul’s sides.

She had a weird surge of confidence run through her and found herself saying, “Byunghun, the dolphins are so fun! Hurry!”

Iseul’s eyes widened a little and she slowed down as if she had just heard what she had said. She tried hard to hide her flushing face from Byunghun and ended up stuttering any excuse she could think of. “Um...I...that wasn’t...Er”

Byunghun agitatedly played with his fingers as the balled in to loose fists. Nara wanted Byunghun to go over to her and now Iseul, though she may not have realised, wanted Byunghun with her too. He sighed softly.  When he thought of going over to Nara, it felt like a chore but then with Iseul, right there, he wanted to be there.

Byunghun smiled to himself, now knowing the decision he was going to make. He turned his phone off and put it down on a nearby table and dove into the light blue water. As he resurfaced, he flipped his wet hair to the side and looked at Iseul, who was an arm length away.

Byunghun smiled, a small one but it was there, “I’ll stay” he said. Iseul didn’t quite get what he meant but was still grateful. The rest of the time continued with them freely goofing about with the dolphins.

 

It wasn’t long before the couple had to return home. They had to walk since they had brought no car and the buses would have stopped arriving by now. The silence between them was awkward. Neither knew what to say. In the pool, they never really did conversate much; it was all laughter and squeals of delight.

Iseul relished over the night breeze. It was just refreshing and sort of made her forget all her problems with Byunghun and Nara. Her brows creased when she remembered Nara. All she could think now was whether she and Byunghun were really together.

If they were, why had Byunghun been with Iseul all that time?

‘Maybe it was just because he was forced’ Iseul thought.

Byunghun glanced at his wife, noticed the frown lines forming on her forehead and a small pout evident on her lips. Before he could ask what was wrong, the change of look on Iseul’s face confused him.

He looked to where she was looking and realised that they were home, but there, waiting by the door was Nara. And she didn’t look happy.

 

I'm tired today~ =.=

JUST SO YOU KNOW, MY BIRTHDAY IS COMING UP IN...SIX DAYS!!! 15TH OF FEBRUARY! I'LL BE 16!!! YAAAAY!!!!! ^_________^