Chapter 10

Lost Cause

The following morning, Byunghun woke up on the floor outside the bedroom. The cold wind surrounded him quickly like a bullet and made him shiver violently. His brows knitted wondering where the breeze was coming from. Byunghun got in the upright position and rubbed his eyes. He suddenly scrambled off the floor, realising the bedroom door was open and there was an open window, explaining the breeze.

Byunghun rushed in, hoping Iseul would be there, sleeping in the bed or just...being there.

However, Iseul had already left. 6:00am in the morning, she had packed silently, being careful to break into sobs right there, otherwise Byunghun would wake up and then she’d have to face. It would have been harder.

Byunghun groaned in agony. Her leaving was affecting him so much, he didn’t even have time to react when it hit him. Iseul was the one for him. He wanted to go out and look for her. Maybe he would try he parents. But what if she wasn’t there...where else would she go? Byunghun held his head down low; his didn’t know the answer to that question because he hadn’t taken the time to learn it from Iseul.

“I guess I deserve this” Byunghun whispered. He sat down on the bed and buried his face in his hands. He laid back into the bed and felt something underneath his back. Becoming upright again, Byunghun found a large envelop addressed to him. He pulled out a bunch of papers and in front was a note:

 

Byunghun,

I’m giving what you wanted.
They’re signed and now all you have to do is the same and get your lawyer to contact mine.
I guess I always knew this day would come.
My ring is inside too; I won’t need it anymore.

I don’t know if you ever realised but I fell in love with you, still am in fact.
But I can’t anymore.
Have a good life Byunghun.

Iseul

 

Byunghun put the note and looked at the divorce papers. They were half done with only Iseul’s signature. He noticed that the first signature was hesitated. He tilted the contents of the envelope and the silver ring fell into the palm of his hands. Why had it taken losing Iseul to realise the idiot he was?

There was banging on the front door followed by a whiny voices voice to ‘Open the door’. Byunghun knew those voices well.  He went downstairs and opened the front door. His friends looked at him and stepped back.

Ricky peering closer to Byunghun, “Dude, have you heard of a razor?”

“You look a mess” Chunji commented. Byunghun grunted in response and let the boys come in. They all ushered into the living room where five men sat down on the sofa and looked at Byunghun.

“What are you guys doing here?” Byunghun asked in a dull voice. He was still in the dumps with the whole divorce.

CAP cleared his throat, “Just to let you know, Iseul is going to be leaving for Japan”

Byunghun blinked, “Japan?!” he cried. His outburst surprised the lot. They all looked at each other and turned to Byunghun and leaned forward curiously.

“Hyung...is that the sound of caring?” Changjo asked, obviously teasing. Byunghun froze and stuttered, “Yah! Don’t ask me stupid questions”

“It’s not stupid,” Niel commented, “You’re stupid for letting her go”

The boys nodded in agreement. They didn’t like it now that their friend was being so unbelievably blind towards the woman that was always there. Byunghun stayed silent and then said, “When’s her flight?”

CAP immediately answered, “1:15pm”

The clock struck 12:00pm, noon. Byunghun gaped at the clock. The only airport around was an hour and a half journey, and that was by car!

“!” Byunghun cursed. He bolted out the house and into his car, not caring if his hair was out of shape of that his shirt was crumpled. He revved his car and raced down the road and joined the main motorways. His fingers tapped impatiently at the steering wheel every time he came to a stop at the red lights or to let someone cross the road. Every five minutes he would glance at his watch then look at the time on the car radio to double check.

It was nearing 12:30pm now and he still had a long way to go.

The cars were all halting now as a jam had occurred. Byunghun looked out his window and saw a long line of cars, going absolutely nowhere. He hit the steering wheel in frustration, crying out since he was tired of controlling his temper.

‘How could I be so stupid?’ was all he could think. Byunghun parked his car on the side of the motorway and got out of the car. What he was about to do was crazy but he had no other option.

Byunghun started to run. He knew exactly where to go and prayed, prayed so much, that he would get to the airport on time. He kept on running, ignoring the points and stares he received from the drivers and passengers. He could care less. Byunghun was more determined than ever now.

His legs were burning. It actually felt like his legs were being bathed in acid. Thirty minutes had passed by and he was a sweaty mess. His hair was all over the place and his shirt clung to him in so many places. But Byunghun didn’t want to stop. He could see the airport coming up.

He just had to get them before his fifteen minutes were up.

Byunghun ran faster, his arms in a swinging motion as he did so. The entrance of the airport was nearing closer and closer. He charged through the doors and went to every terminal he could find, shouting out Iseul’s name. Byunghun looked at his wrist watch, 1:20pm.

He was too late.

Byunghun sighed and felt the need to fall on the floor and just sit there.

“Byunghun?”

He whipped round at the sound of the voice and heaved a sigh. He found who he was looking for.

“What are you doing here?” Iseul asked. She had a suitcase beside her and a travel bag on one arm.

Byunghun smiled, “Stopping you from leaving...shouldn’t you be on a plane by now?” his confused expression made Iseul want to squeal madly at how cute he looked, but she refrained from doing so. She was supposed to be getting over him.

“Why would I do that? My flight is at 2 o’ clock” Iseul said. Byunghun’s face dropped, “CAP said 1:15...”

Iseul shook her head, “I told him it was 2”

Byunghun face-palmed himself, “I just ran for forty-five minutes straight, only to find out your flight was at 2 freaking o’ clock?”

Iseul blinked, “You ran...all the way here?”

“Yes! Because I thought you were leaving and I wouldn’t have even made it if I stayed in the car!” Byunghun cried, “Oh, my legs.” He went to the nearest seat and sat down, rubbing the life into his legs again.

“Why would you do that?” Iseul asked slowly.

“Because!” Byunghun blurted, “Because...I don’t want a divorce, I don’t want you to leave!” Byunghun fished out the ring on his pocket and dropped on one knee, “Lee Iseul, I love you, please, will you stay married to me?”

Iseul stared back in shock, taking in everything he had said, ‘He...loves me’

Byunghun waited anxiously for his answer, “Iseul...my legs are killing me”

“Oh! Sorry!” Iseul rambled, “Er...yes” She replied weakly before. She said it again, this time firmer, “Yes!”

By now, they had gathered a small crowd, who cheered loudly with claps and words of sincerities. Byunghun slid on the ring once again and pulled Iseul into a hug. He pulled back and blushed slightly. Iseul poked his cheeks playfully, “Let’s go home.” She smiled at him and in return, Byunghun did the same. They left the airport, hand in hand, ready to start afresh.

 

One more chapter to go!!
I dont know if this was rushed but do remember, it's just a short fic~

<3333