Chapter 4

Lost Cause

Byunghun and his friends walked down the streets of Seoul with no real destination in mind. He kept silent throughout the whole way as the others chattered. He kept thinking that maybe it had finally reached that point in their marriage that they both knew that someday they would reach: divorce.

‘Huh...the only way’

Nara noticed Byunghun’s behaviour and decided to cheer him up. She hooked arms with him and gently skipped, “Lighten up Byunghun, you could always stay over at mine”

Ricky’s ears pricked up, “Really Nara! Awesome, it’ll be a sleepover”

Nara’s smile faltered for a moment but placed it back as she heard the younger one spread the news to the others.

“You okay with that?” Chunji asked cautiously. He knew of her infatuation with Byunghun. He was sure that any offer she made was for sure, made for him alone. Not the other guys.

“Yeah, of course!” Nara said and forced a smile on that looked real enough to be passed as genuine.

Chunji warily looked at her and returned to talking to the rest of the group. Nara tried to keep the conversation alive between her and Byunghun but most of the time, it was just her talking.

Byunghun would zone out at times, wondering why he relented so easy. It was his house too after all and he had just the same right as Iseul did to live there. Thinking this only made him feel anger and frustration. He just wished for once, everything would go smoothly in his life. But that wouldn’t happen anytime soon.

‘Ugh, she can keep the house’ he cried in his head. All this thinking was now hurting his head. Byunghun wanted some sort of release; the only release he knew.

 

As Byunghun lead the rest to a nearby club, the boys began thinking about their actions.

Niel remembered the pained look on Iseul’s face whenever they came over, or whenever they would trash the house with no care.

He suddenly said aloud, “Do you think we were too harsh?”

CAP looked in his direction and gave him a quizzical look, “You talking about Iseul?”

Niel simply nodded. The conversation caught the attention of Chunji, Ricky and Changjo. The more they thought about their not so heavenly deeds, the more they thought of how their behaviour was unacceptable.

It may have sounded like the usual lecture that they used to receive from their old headmaster, but those words relayed over and over and the image of Iseul defenceless and just taking everything that came to her, overpowered their minds.

The five stopped walking. Byunghun and Nara handy even noticed that they had lost the presence of the five boys and carried on walking.

Without a word, the guilty boys turned back, knowing exactly what to do.

 

Iseul woke up to a very sore back and neck. When she looked over the clock she realised she had only slept roughly over an hour. It was only when she heard the pounding knocks on the front door did she figure out what had wakened her from her slumber.

Her legs unwillingly walked towards the door. It took great effort just for Iseul to put one leg in front of the other. It was like they had been injecting with some anaesthetic that made it harder for her to use her legs.

“Alright, I’m coming already!” Iseul grumbled. It suddenly dawned to her. Who would be knocking on her door? ‘I did kick out Byunghun and them? It wasn’t a dream...?’ she thought in her head, making her steps become slower, but it seemed the door was coming closer to her at a faster pace.

“Iseul? Are you in there?” a voice called out. Iseul stopped in her tracks. They knew her name. But her mind soon registered the voice. It was the one she knew as Lee Chanhee, but she often heard the youngest one call him Chunji...she never knew why. It wasn’t like she was going to ask.

“Please open the door noona” there came Ricky’s voice. Iseul melted upon hearing his sweet aegyo voice, but soon shook it off.

She strode to the door, opened it with the great power of her arms and glared at each boy in front of her.

Her heart dropped. There was no Byunghun though. No Nara either. The disappointed look on her face was not missed by her husband’s friends but they chose not to pry.

Ricky and Changjo rushed to the front of the group, “Noona, we’re so, so, so, so sorry! We’ll say sorry in 10 different languages if you want!” The boys looked at each other, going over the many languages aloud, “Err, sorry...Mianhaeyo...Lo siento...je suis désolé...umm...”

They were pulled back and Niel, CAP and Chunji rolled their eyes at the two punks. Their expression softened as they looked at a very annoyed and pissed off Iseul.

“We’re really sorry for all the things we did to you” CAP began, “And always stealing your breakfast but look, we brought you soup. The ahjumma said it would get rid of that cold you got”

The rest of the boys joined in and nodded fervently. Iseul still stayed emotionless and crossed her arms over her chest but her eyes flickered towards the soup for a moment in CAP’s hands, “And what makes you think I would forgive you?” she blinked sarcastically.

The boys looked at each other and beamed, “We’ll clean the house for you!” they all chimed.

Chunji spoke up, “I know we made a mess so let’s clean it for you”

“Please noona” Ricky pouted, “We want to start making it up to you”

Iseul stayed quiet for a moment, watching the boy’s faces as they anticipated her answer.

She sighed, “You can start with the living room” she turned away before seeing their victory stricken faces. They rushed in out of the cold and helped to tidy the living room up.

Iseul entered the kitchen to heat up her soup. Right now, she would take anything to get rid of her cold. She smiled as she watched the soup simmer in the pan. It was thoughtful of the boys to apologise to her and she appreciated it. However, it would take a small amount of time until she properly forgave them for the disruption they caused for the past six months.

Her smile wavered as Byunghun’s face flashed across her eyes. He didn’t come back.

He didn’t come back at any point in the night. Even after she had set up beds for the boys, Byunghun never did return. She gave out a heaved sigh and made her way to her own bed.

 

Morning sunlight poured through the open curtain and caused Byunghun’s face to scrunch with annoyance. He turned he head and hummed in content as he felt the plush bed sheets. But then a question crossed his mind, where was he?

“Good morning Byunghun oppa” Nara’s sweet voice echoed through his head.

 

Hullo!! Muhaha, guess what happened?! I'm watching Flower Boy Ramyun Shop!! My friend literally forced me to watch it! AND I LOVE IT!

 CHA CHISOO!!!! FOR YANG EUNBI!!! ♥